Sponsored

Ecoboost MPG

aznjun06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
I was looking for posts with MPGs so I can read up on what people are getting in realistic numbers, but i'm sure I wasn't looking hard enough because I couldn't find it. So, I just got the 2017 ecoboost last weekend and i've already filled her up once and both times, it tells me i'm under 20 mpg. I am never past 3000 RPMs because i'm still breaking her in. I'm very easy on the acceleration but from time to time I spike it up when I need to pass someone. Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I'd like to get decent mileage so that when I want to go a little faster, it won't kill my mpg avg too much. Thanks.
Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I average 28 mixed driving but 80% interstate. On a trip to Canada last year, I averaged 34 over 2200 miles. So it can get very good mileage but if you are doing mainly stop and go city driving, it really won't do very well. It is still a pretty big and heavy car compared to something like a Civic.

2007GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I had a 2013 SHO and a 2016 Mustang EB, both loved higher octane fuel. The Mustang EB got better gas mileage with 93.

PIsenhour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Dark Matter Gray Metallic
I average around 28mpg, but a good part of that is highway on the way to work. The best place to find fuel mileage is fuelly.com.

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
I average 22. My commute is really short, only 12-15 miles. so The engine doesn't spend enough time fully warm to get good gas mileage. If I have a week where I criss cross the state a bunch it will go up considerably.

Sponsored

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
You literally have to drive like a grandma to get 30mpg. If you hit the turbo at all, you're looking at low 20's and if you drive it the way it's meant to be driven, you'll be getting 15mpg like me :frusty:

I wonder if I would still get 15mpg or worse if I drove a v8 in the same manner

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
27 in mixed driving.
Best of 33 on a 400 mile trip.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I sit at 25-26mpg for my 50 mile (round trip) daily commute to work and back. It's mostly 55mph zones with a lot of stop lights. I punch it at every light that I can. I regularly shift at 3000-3500rpm and like to cruise in the 2200-2500rpm range. I do not shift into 6th gear, ever, and I run 91 octane.

I did see 32mpg when driving up to Longmont a couple months ago. That was doing 85mph most of the way.

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I have had mine since Nov 2014. Early build, with no California Emissions. I run 91 octane, with no Ethanol, and full synthetic oil. 99% of my driving is Interstate, at 75 to 80 mph. On a recent 140 round trip drive for Lunch, I averaged 31 mpg, a little higher or lower depending on the road, but 31 came up as the average. Note: I am running full winter Continental Winter Contact SI tires right Now, so the mpg listed is for those tires.

Last edited:

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I was looking for posts with MPGs so I can read up on what people are getting in realistic numbers, but i'm sure I wasn't looking hard enough because I couldn't find it. So, I just got the 2017 ecoboost last weekend and i've already filled her up once and both times, it tells me i'm under 20 mpg. I am never past 3000 RPMs because i'm still breaking her in. I'm very easy on the acceleration but from time to time I spike it up when I need to pass someone. Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I'd like to get decent mileage so that when I want to go a little faster, it won't kill my mpg avg too much. Thanks.
Way too soon to be looking at fuel economy. It takes engines a long time these days to break in and give you a true idea of what they will deliver economy wise. Seems to me there's a part in the fat glove box book that says 3 to 5 thousand before you'll know. The book in my SUV says 5 to 8 thousand. Engine tolerances are way better than they used to be so give it more time.;)

Sponsored

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
Driving back and forth to work I get 25-26 mpg. I've gotten 28 before, but I really pampered it that week.
If I take it out on just the highway and can cruise at a constant speed, I have gotten as high as 33 mpg.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Mixed driving here too and I'm in the same league as others - 28mpg and it's been consistent since I bought the car new (over 1yr now).

Most folks have to remember - if you're only doing short distance stop/go driving nearly all the time and are not doing TRUE highway driving - your mpg will be LOW. Highway driving isn't just a 20 min jaunt to the local Home Depot on your local main highway 2x a week.... Highway driving is being at a sustained speed for a consistent set time on a daily basis.

For instance my daily commute is 1.5hr one way - where 85% of the commute is truly open road (NO traffic lights, NO stop signs, NO stopping period and NO bumper to bumper traffic) and I'm also able to maintain a speed of 65/70mph. Average that out on a 5-day basis, my mpg will always be consistent AND HIGHER than:
1) Owner-X with the SAME EXACT equipped vehicle who's daily commute is only 15mins straight run
2) Owner-X with the SAME EXACT equipped vehicle who's doing the same 1.5hr commute, BUT his/her commute is all stop/go bumper to bumper traffic with no "length" of open road driving.

Sure - a window sticker and Govt fuel consumption figures are gonna be XXhighway and XXcity, but just because the sticker says so, does not equal real world mpg. That's why folks have to take into consideration not just buying a vehicle based on stated mpg. It's not just mpg, it's HOW the car will be used on a daily basis to get to actual real world mpg for that specific owner due to his/her geographic locations.

I'm sure in larger States or more rural regions folks can and do get better mpg than 28, where such areas to get from A to B have open roads with no obstructions.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
24.9 mpg average with 30,000 fairly aggressive miles

JTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Ecoboost
I sit around 25-26 on my NOV 2014 build running 93, just hit 40k. My commute to work is all highway but I shift high around town these days. When I light peddle it, it jumps up to 28-29.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
9900 miles, 3 oil changes and still getting 12-14mpg consistently.

All city driving.
Sponsored