Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
NVH analyzer going on mine today . I suspect they will say "within spec" if thats the case I can live with it. None of my passengers ever notice the rumble, but I do 50-55 and 65-70.

Old wheels did the exact same thing , so "within spec"
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ 0.005 G is nothing. So hard to tell what was going on there.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
I should have said other attempts to fix the issue. They roadforce balanced all four wheels and checked the DS runout which was out of spec by 0.048. Solution was to replace the DS.
0.048?????? That's 48 thousandths! nearly 1/20 of an inch. That can't be right. Can it?

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
^^^ 0.005 G is nothing. So hard to tell what was going on there.
Yes it's pretty minor though in my car . They said they went on the internal Ford tech forums and other mustangs with the issue were well above that. I have said if it was not for this thread I would not of noticed.

Dailydragger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My 2016 MT-82 GT had the same issue around 70-75 ish. I took it in and they replaced the driveshaft, but it still vibrated. So they used the vibration analyzer and found the new one to be out of balance. They balanced it with hose clamps and it reduced the vibration to almost nothing. Its still there if you really focus in on it.

Sponsored

Befuddled Canuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
S550 Fastback 2016
2015-2017 S550 Mustang

I've been creeping this thread for some time to see what the fixes for the vibration issues have been. As one of the other members on this forum have said....
It has been a love hate relationship. I truly looked forward to purchasing the S550 since it's unavailing. Now I get to look at it once and a while as it sits with just over 3000km. on it as I wait to see what the outcome of an arbitrators decision will be.
I too have experienced all the same horror stories surrounding the dreaded vibration issues from road force balancing to diff replacement, not having the car for weeks on end and a customer services rep that doesn't seem to give a fiddler fart about how the outcome of problem ends up. We all know there are mods done from exhaust to suspension and performance before the car leaves the dealership limiting the IRS problems. I'm sure to some, they go unrecognized, have been repaired without knowing due to mods or told it's just the way it is!!! I rely feel sorrow for the people out there that have experienced this and it being a principle vehicle.
My problem started at around 1000km with a deceleration vibration although not as sever as some but there just the same. I never looked for a problem until it started. Every review I read was positive and gave the car outstanding reports.
Up here in the Great White North we don't have a lemon law as you southern folks. What we have is CAMVAP...a vehicle arbitration program that must be followed to have an arbitrator decide if you have a reasonable claim to have the car either repaired,replaced or bought back by FORD. Then it goes before a judge to decide ye or nay.
Reading almost every post on this topic, I have come to the conclusion that FORD engineers where and are very aware of this problem long before the S550 ever hit the market. I refuse to spend hours and a pile of coin trying to repair a brand new car with a supposed warranty. This is FORDS FU.
So, here's my take on this for what it's worth........pls tell me if I'm of track!!!
FORD engineers are not stupid,they knew of the problems that could or would appear with improper IRS cradle alignment and poor quality control of all components related to the IRS. But the bean counters said it would out cost the vehicle to be competitive with other manufacturers..For example....Lets say there are other after market performance parts companies that can supply related components to resolve the vibration and alignment problems that owners have been experiencing without the overhead and pass it along to the consumer, it would save millions for FORD. Example - based on sales of 250,000. If the cost was (for shits and giggles) $500.00 per unit x 250,000 units sold it would be $12,500,000.00. So let's keep it hushed and let the buyer and UN-informed dealerships be burdened with the issue.
Having said that, one of these after market companies has stated that they developed related components anticipating the release of the S550 model on the bases of previous IRS issues with another model Mustang. Have a look at pics of some components and tell me if the car wasn't pre-engineered to accept the installation of these parts. Pre-drilled and threaded mounting points???
I did a little research to find that this company has a very long outstanding relationship with FORD engineering that goes back many decades. What a great opportunity to further the balance of a bank account for both sides!!!!!

Not going into detail BUT...Ford has announced that they have addressed IRS suspension issues (bushings and torsion bars) as a mid life cycle change on the 2018 S550. What about the other hundreds of thousands sold???

Please don't take this as gospel, it's only the opinion of a pissed off FORD consumer who feels wrong has been done.

Befuddled Canuck

Last edited:

markw24

markw24
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I've been creeping this thread for some time to see what the fixes for the vibration issues have been. As one of the other members on this forum have said....
It has been a love hate relationship. I truly looked forward to purchasing the S550 since it's unavailing. Now I get to look at it once and a while as it sits with just over 3000km. on it as I wait to see what the outcome of an arbitrators decision will be.
I too have experienced all the same horror stories surrounding the dreaded vibration issues from road force balancing to diff replacement, not having the car for weeks on end and a customer services rep that doesn't seem to give a fiddler fart about how the outcome of problem ends up. We all know there are mods done from exhaust to suspension and performance before the car leaves the dealership limiting the IRS problems. I'm sure to some, they go unrecognized, have been repaired without knowing due to mods or told it's just the way it is!!! I rely feel sorrow for the people out there that have experienced this and it being a principle vehicle.
My problem started at around 1000km with a deceleration vibration although not as sever as some but there just the same. I never looked for a problem until it started. Every review I read was positive and gave the car outstanding reports.
Up here in the Great White North we don't have a lemon law as you southern folks. What we have is CAMVAP...a vehicle arbitration program that must be followed to have an arbitrator decide if you have a reasonable claim to have the car either repaired,replaced or bought back by FORD. Then it goes before a judge to decide ye or nay.
Reading almost every post on this topic, I have come to the conclusion that FORD engineers where and are very aware of this problem long before the S550 ever hit the market. I refuse to spend hours and a pile of coin trying to repair a brand new car with a supposed warranty. This is FORDS FU.
So, here's my take on this for what it's worth........pls tell me if I'm of track!!!
FORD engineers are not stupid,they knew of the problems that could or would appear with improper IRS cradle alignment and poor quality control of all components related to the IRS. But the bean counters said it would out cost the vehicle to be competitive with other manufacturers..For example....Lets say there are other after market performance parts companies that can supply related components to resolve the vibration and alignment problems that owners have been experiencing without the overhead and pass it along to the consumer, it would save millions for FORD. Example - based on sales of 250,000. If the cost was (for shits and giggles) $500.00 per unit x 250,000 units sold it would be $12,500,000.00. So let's keep it hushed and let the buyer and UN-informed dealerships be burdened with the issue.
Having said that, one of these after market companies has stated that they developed related components anticipating the release of the S550 model on the bases of previous IRS issues with another model Mustang. Have a look at pics of some components and tell me if the car wasn't pre-engineered to accept the installation of these parts. Pre-drilled and threaded mounting points???
I did a little research to find that this company has a very long outstanding relationship with FORD engineering that goes back many decades. What a great opportunity to further the balance of a bank account for both sides!!!!!
Please don't take this as gospel, it's only the opinion of a pissed off FORD consumer who feels wrong has been done.

Befuddled Canuck
Well said. Most of us will loose our A$$ as well when we unload them!

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
A lot to read in here, and I haven't seen this mentioned if it has been.

But the S550 Models with the Giubo joints (manual trans and Eco Boost cars) - can experience vibes due to bent bolts on the front mounting flange where the rubber giubo joint is.

May be worth checking, for those who have these vibrations and have the Giubo Joint on the front trans mount side of your Driveshaft.
DS bolts on Giubo joints.jpg

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
2015-2017 S550 Mustang

Not going into detail BUT...Ford has announced that they have addressed IRS suspension issues (bushings and torsion bars) as a mid life cycle change on the 2018 S550. What about the other hundreds of thousands sold???

Befuddled Canuck
Sounds like you need to find a new dealer. A dealer that has invested in the equipment recommended by the manufacturer to perform an accurate diagnosis.

Ford released an SSM (Special Service Message) for this issue quite a while ago. Engineering found that the issue was attributed to imbalance on the 2 piece driveshafts; it had nothing to do with "bean counters" or any other conspiracy theories. In order to correct the concern, the driveshaft needs to be balanced with the MasterTech MTS 4000 vibration analyzer. So once again, if the dealer doesn't have this tool or doesn't know how to use it, find a new dealer.

Sponsored

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
I believe the vibration in my car is now gone. :amen:

I just completed a 650-mile road trip (325 miles each way). The first half of the trip, the vibration was still there, and was thinking to myself to get my car into the dealership when I return.

On my return trip, the vibration was there, but it seemed to go away after the first 100 miles. I've since driven the car back and forth to work a few times (20 miles each way), and have not noticed any vibration. I purposely drove the car at the speeds where it did it before, and it seems to have disappeared on its own.

I just hope it's not temporary!

Last edited:

markw24

markw24
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
A lot to read in here, and I haven't seen this mentioned if it has been.

But the S550 Models with the Giubo joints (manual trans and Eco Boost cars) - can experience vibes due to bent bolts on the front mounting flange where the rubber giubo joint is.

May be worth checking, for those who have these vibrations and have the Giubo Joint on the front trans mount side of your Driveshaft.
Gotta say I don't understand where there bolts are exactly.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
That one must be manual. I have auto and does not have that rubber piece.
Yes it is a manual, and yes auto's dont have the rubber guibo disc!
Sponsored