Sponsored

Parasitic load test won't work

16ggtlackFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt black
I've tried on 2 different DMMs on the positive and negative side and cannot get a reading. Something about mustangs that I am missing ? I have triple checked my dmm settings and tested on other vehicles.

Vehicle is 16 mustang gt base factory battery.
Sponsored

OP
OP

16ggtlackFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt black
What are you trying to do specifically?
I believe a newly installed car stereo is draining my battery. All my Amps appear off but I think my remote wire is connected to a constant source and even though everything is off its still draining battery.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Okay. If the remote wire is connected to a constant source, your amp(s) will remain on when the car is off (after the car turns off accessory power which is not exactly when you turn off the car, depends sometimes on which accessory wire you taped for an amp turn-on lead). You don't need to do a draw test at the battery to find that out, just see if the lights on the amps are indicating that the amps are on. Or do the draw test at the power wire of the amp.

It is possible your amps are not actually turning off even if being switched - a bad on/off circuit in one of them can cause them to pull some power (this isn't uncommon, that particular circuit is usually weak in any amp and if you spiked it during installation on accident... sometimes poof). I'd be testing at the amps first but it's hard to do when accessory turns on whenever you open the door. You'll have to setup your test leads so that you can see the DMM with all the doors closed, shut accessory off with the on/off button, close all the doors, wait until everything switches off in the car, then see if the amps are drawing power.

OP
OP

16ggtlackFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt black
My remote wire is tapped into a fuse labeled as "switches, power windows, rear view mirror". None of the amps lights remain on after the car is off. They turn off instantly.

How would I test at the amps of they are drawing power ? At the input leads I am getting the same voltage as the battery which I assumed is right. They are brand new amps.

Thank you for your help!

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You test parasitic draw with amps, not voltage.

[ame]

How long does it take for your battery to drain?

OP
OP

16ggtlackFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt black
You test parasitic draw with amps, not voltage.

How long does it take for your battery to drain?

I was just referring to the Volts I'm getting at the amps. I was doing the parasitic test in amps.

So to do the test with the amps is it the same theory? Take the power out of the amp and test between the wire and amp ?

The battery doesnt drain all the way but over night it'll go from 12.6-12.8 and in the morning it's about 11.8-12.0. When I turn it to acc I'll see 11.4

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
I was just referring to the Volts I'm getting at the amps. I was doing the parasitic test in amps.

So to do the test with the amps is it the same theory? Take the power out of the amp and test between the wire and amp ?

The battery doesnt drain all the way but over night it'll go from 12.6-12.8 and in the morning it's about 11.8-12.0. When I turn it to acc I'll see 11.4
Any time you put your ammeter (DVOM/multimeter) in series with a circuit, the current that the component is drawing will pass through your ammeter. For this reason, it's critical to remember that your ammeter has a built-in fuse of 10 Amps. If you install it inline with a component that is drawing 10 or more amps, you will blow the fuse in your meter. They are more than a few dollars to replace and aren't readily available, which is why it's always suggested to install a test light in-line with the circuit before your DVOM. If the test light illuminates brightly, it's probably drawing over 10 amps, so don't install your meter. If the light is dim, you're most likely working in milliamps (mA), so it's safe to install your meter.

To test the amperage draw if your amplifier, you're going to want to install your ammeter in-line (in series) with the power wire to the amp. To install the meter in series, disconnect the power wire to the amp and connect it to one of the leads on your ammeter. Then connect the other ammeter lead to the amplifier to complete the circuit. The ammeter will then read the current draw of the amplifier.

For reference, when testing for a drain at the battery (ammeter in line with a battery cable), you should have less than a 50 mA draw after the vehicle has sat undisturbed for at least 45 minutes.

OP
OP

16ggtlackFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt black
Any time you put your ammeter (DVOM/multimeter) in series with a circuit, the current that the component is drawing will pass through your ammeter. For this reason, it's critical to remember that your ammeter has a built-in fuse of 10 Amps. If you install it inline with a component that is drawing 10 or more amps, you will blow the fuse in your meter. They are more than a few dollars to replace and aren't readily available, which is why it's always suggested to install a test light in-line with the circuit before your DVOM. If the test light illuminates brightly, it's probably drawing over 10 amps, so don't install your meter. If the light is dim, you're most likely working in milliamps (mA), so it's safe to install your meter.

To test the amperage draw if your amplifier, you're going to want to install your ammeter in-line (in series) with the power wire to the amp. To install the meter in series, disconnect the power wire to the amp and connect it to one of the leads on your ammeter. Then connect the other ammeter lead to the amplifier to complete the circuit. The ammeter will then read the current draw of the amplifier.

For reference, when testing for a drain at the battery (ammeter in line with a battery cable), you should have less than a 50 mA draw after the vehicle has sat undisturbed for at least 45 minutes.
Well I know the fuses in both dmms work because I was able to test on 2 other vehicles a Mercedes and a Nissan but for whatever reason I cannot get a reading on my mustang.
2nd. When doing the test on the amp what kind of draws should I be seeing between the power wire and the amp ?

Sponsored
OP
OP

16ggtlackFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt black
Should I assume that since I can't get a reading I am drawing more than 10 amps ? Seems like my battery would drain a lot more than it is if that was the case.
Sponsored