(unconfirmed) Source of AC Evap Failures Possibly Identified [POLL]

Has your AC failed?

• Total voters

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
People aren't going to like what ive found out so far, without speaking to a warranty rep yet. The foreman has gotten back to me, It seems to be an isolated issue, much like the mt82 problems everyone liked to blow out of proportion. Not all of them will have the issue, the vast majority wont. Its a crap shoot. Based on what ive found out so far it was a Qc issue on the first two different oe suppliers. Hence why ford is onto a new part number. It was enough of an issue to change obviously. I will say though, it isnt 100% confirmed yet in my mind. While no one will like to hear it, just like the mt82 isolated problems, folks with this issue are the minorty not the majority. While it doesnt make it any less frustrating or potentially less expensive out of warranty, these things just happen sadly. At best at this time it seems to be a downside of being an early adopter.

Ill still reach out to a warranty rep and see what else i can find on actual specific cause of failure. I apologize for not having a better answer yet. I figured some would still want to know something vs absolutely nothing.
Sponsored

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Only noticed this recently as it's starting to get cold.I have the complete opposite, AC works but ramp up the heat and it comes out on passenger vents ok but drivers side vents stay cool air :shrug:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Only noticed this recently as it's starting to get cold.I have the complete opposite, AC works but ramp up the heat and it comes out on passenger vents ok but drivers side vents stay cool air :shrug:
Sounds like a control issue - ie, flow doors/flaps not moving to where they are commanded to go.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Im unsure why but the guy i knew that was a warranty rep wont return my calls. I kept trying and holding out. Im SOL on info of what specifically is failing on the unit.

86gt351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1986 Mustang Gt
Sounds more like an Evaporator Core that is leaking. Low Freon will cause the half dash issue also!

Sponsored

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a control issue - ie, flow doors/flaps not moving to where they are commanded to go.
2 xActuators replaced last week , left dealership worked ok for few hours now back to no heat drivers side, passenger side slight heat, all set on high temp.Funny thing when stationary at the dealers today started blowing out High heat passenger side but when driving it's hardly anything.My AC is cold.:headbonk::paddle::frusty:

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
I'll bet Ford buys the coils from Mexico. We have had problems with evap. coils for the split system residential units. Could be the same manufacturer.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
Is the "core" where the issue is "thought" to exist, the exact same part for the "cheapo" single zone manual AC as the "premium" dual zone automatic AC? :confused:

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Faulty loom, high resistance joints apparently causing actuators to malfunction, dash out, new loom, pissed off!

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
Mine went out last week, saw smoke from the center cents, slight smell of burnt electronics, and then no more cold air, just hot oh and a weird noise from the AC.

Anyway should have the car back tomorrow.

Sponsored

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine went out last week, saw smoke from the center cents, slight smell of burnt electronics, and then no more cold air, just hot oh and a weird noise from the AC.

Anyway should have the car back tomorrow.
Gooner/ Arsenal.................COME ON YOU IRONS ! :cheers:

texaswrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MAGNETIC
Mine is going in tommorow, total loss of AC
2015 GT PP , 15000 miles, just over a year old.

VirginiaF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard V6 051 Auto
Multiple Threads of A/C Evap Failure

Decided to list my recent A/C failure in this thread hoping the admibs will pool the various threads together..

At 27,140 miles my 2015 V6 has lost air conditioning instantly.
No noises, no slow failure. Recent ambient daytime temps in the mid-60's.
Called my 2 local Richmond, VA dealers who claimed no knowledge/complaints.

So, I'm scheduled for March 16th service visit.
From scanning our threads here, I calculate roughly 45 posters with S550 A/C failures.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Decided to list my recent A/C failure in this thread hoping the admibs will pool the various threads together..

At 27,140 miles my 2015 V6 has lost air conditioning instantly.
No noises, no slow failure. Recent ambient daytime temps in the mid-60's.
Called my 2 local Richmond, VA dealers who claimed no knowledge/complaints.

So, I'm scheduled for March 16th service visit.
From scanning our threads here, I calculate roughly 45 posters with S550 A/C failures.
So you're talking about 45 "calculated" failures out of 241,625 Mustangs sold from the 2015 to 2017 model year.

That's a failure rate of less than 0.0002% of vehicles produced. That is why your dealer has had no knowledge/complaints of the issue. The reason you see it on here is because the only people who have had the failure are the ones who are posting, which is why issues reported on forums always need to be taken in context.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
LoL ... didn't know all 241,625 S550 owners were on this chat board and taking the A/C failure pole. Quite a few members here reporting it shows there's an obvious problem with the A/C evaporator and that's the reason Ford has a new superseded part. Failure rate is way more than 0.0002%. And 45/241,625 is actually 0.019%.
Sponsored

Last edited: