Sponsored

The Armory

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like you pay extra for the Kimber name and I don't see anything worth the extra money. I've heard many say they aren't the same manufacturer they used to be.
Either way, they look really nice and to each their own.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I am going to look around a little, just that the Kimber was the first. Felt better then either of my son's pistols, which I have shot (sometimes better than him).

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Kimber has a terrible reputation for servicing it's paltry 12 month warranty. These are not good guns as far as I'm concerned, not worth the price point.
What's a better warranty period that can be expected?

FWIW, one of my rifles only has a year and the other one didn't come with one at all.

Norm

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
For another 1911-related matter . . .

I was restocking myself with ammo for the Mini-14 and purely on a whim I picked up a Kimber Two-Tone 1911 in 9mm with a 5" barrel. For being several ounces heavier than my son's XD-S it actually felt lighter and more natural with a nice smooth feel to its operation. I'm thinking real serious about picking it up, so does anybody have any direct personal experience with Kimbers? Supposedly Kimber has made all the extractors internal, which I have rear was a problem in the past.

I'm in NJ, where CC is damn near impossible to get, so I'm specifically looking at the 5". Didn't seem to be a bad price, well under $800, and I'm not looking at starting a big pistol collection.

Norm
I own a Kimber Master Carry Pro in .45 and it's a good gun. I don't have any FTE issues however once in awhile I have a FTF where the slide doesn't go all the way forward. But I also have less than 500 rds through it so Kimber won't even touch it due to lack of break-in. I was told to try different mags, so that's my next option.

Sponsored

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I picked up my kimber for dealer cost, and it functions flawlessly. Accurate and pretty to boot.

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
Rock Island Armory has a life time warranty. :shrug:
are you honestly comparing a Rock island 1911 to a kimber? :lol:

Lets see... Made int he US vs in the Philippines.

Servicing two markets. kimber is now very mid-tier

RIA is budget, at best.

my kimber was manufactured in 1998. It happens to have a serial that ends in 1911.

It is a wonderful gun and I doubt I'll ever sell it.

I had an issue with the grip safety in 2009 and kimber repaired the pistol, at no charge, and had it back to me within a week.

The pistol has the best trigger that i've ever felt on a 1911, regardless of price.

I have a rather ridiculous firearms collection that includes some guns that most have never seen. This gun will continue to stay.

If you REALLY want a kimber, I would point you towards looking for a 1998/1999 , right after the clackamas rollmark, NY guns. I think they are nicer than the clackamas kimbers, and far nicer that the series II pistols.

To sort-of show some of the interesting stuff that rides in my collection 9 and to quantify my knowledge of firearms) I offer y'all the following:

Just a small sampling, which does not account for any of the select fire or AOW stuff.

Yes, I haz the gunz.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
That De Lisle is seeeeex! :eyebulge: :love:
at 50 yards from the muzzle, it makes less noise than my 10/22 wearing a gemtech mist barrel.

HIGHLY recommended.

And most people have no idea WTF it is. :)

The kimber is the only non-suppressed weapon our of all those pictures.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I'm jealous of the collection....of your cars and guns lol

And, that's a lot of tax stamps! LOL

Last edited:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Servicing two markets. kimber is now very mid-tier

If you REALLY want a kimber, I would point you towards looking for a 1998/1999 , right after the clackamas rollmark, NY guns. I think they are nicer than the clackamas kimbers, and far nicer that the series II pistols. .
Thanks for the information. Mid-tier might be enough for me - with a forest-fire 70 candles being on my next b'day cake, I don't see serious competition in my future at all. But I'm not shopping solely on price - a budget gun that I'm less happy shooting and wouldn't shoot as much might as well have been more expensive.

What makes the series II pistols less desirable? Anything particularly functional, accuracy, or reliability-related? Or things like pricing or appearance?

It was probably a Custom II Two-Tone that I held.

Norm

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the information. Mid-tier might be enough for me - with a forest-fire 70 candles being on my next b'day cake, I don't see serious competition in my future at all. But I'm not shopping solely on price - a budget gun that I'm less happy shooting and wouldn't shoot as much might as well have been more expensive.

What makes the series II pistols less desirable? Anything particularly functional, accuracy, or reliability-related? Or things like pricing or appearance?

It was probably a Custom II Two-Tone that I held.

Norm

the firing pin safety. it numbs the crispness of the trigger when compared to the series 1 pistols. Otherwise, it is pretty nice.

the also used way more MIM parts on the series II guns.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
are you honestly comparing a Rock island 1911 to a kimber? :lol:
Not comparing, just saying that there is a lot to be said for standing by your product for the entirety of its existence. What is Kimber afraid of?

Best thing about RIA is you can beat the hell out of it and not care.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
the also used way more MIM parts on the series II guns.
MIM ???

I held a Range Officer and a Taurus today, both in 1911/5"/9mm. Also a Ruger (4" instead of 5). Think the Springfield is $200 better than the Kimber Series II?

Norm

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack