The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Time is on my side ...

Inner termoil.. can you wait, or will you succumb to anticipation? If you can wait 8 months, all of this will be moot.

Logic dictates that the MY2018 is a better car, all the way around. (aesthetics aside..)

:ford:

So its a waiting game at this point. Besides maybe Ford will announce the Mach 1 or the Bullitt late this year. :cheers:
Sponsored

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
buy now if you can afford it, if you wait you will end up waiting too long. There is always something new around the corner. Next gen will be 2020.

Davefzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I thought for sure that I was going to purchase a 2018, but now with the news of Bullitt and/or Mach1 it's making the decision more difficult. Plus I really want the 12" digital gauge but it looks like it will only be available with the premium model. I am sure at some point they will make this standard. Not sure I really want the premium model.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I honestly only care for that digital cluster rest of updates don't really matter to me

OP
OP
GTRacerX.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
2018 or 2017

buy now if you can afford it, if you wait you will end up waiting too long. There is always something new around the corner. Next gen will be 2020.
Heck I might end up buying a 2017 and have enough money left over to slap in a Roush R2300 670HP Supercharger - Phase 1 Kit. Then the 2018 HP/TQ numbers won't mean a damm thing. Put on my x-pipe and ford racing sport mufflers on and be pretty much done. Of course a Barton Hybrid 3 Shifter, not to mention the carbon fiber one piece drive shaft etc ...

:cheers: :ford:

Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
I bought a '17 GT PP as I didn't think there was going to be anything worthwhile upgrading for. And then I hear about the Magnaride & 10-speed auto, AND more hp.
If it was just more hp & fascia refresh, I'd have started modded my 2017 and not looked back. But since these upgrades sound like together they may add up to some serious increased performance, I've put off all mods on my car until I see the performance #'s.

If they're good enough I want my 2017 to be pristine stock so I can sell/trade for a good price.

Dr.Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I held off on getting mine until the official pics of the 2018 were released. When the 2015 was released, i immediately loved it...when i saw the 2018, i immediately hated the front end and it never really grew on me. About a month ago my dealer was able to locate the same exact car i wanted, plus Ford was offering 0% financing, so i couldn't resist. The hp increase and the 10 speed auto were the only things i really was interested in, but not enough to pass up the deal i got. No regrets

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
I picked up MY17 in July and not expecting any decent trade in prices anytime soon. Maybe a bit biased on the 18 but not crazy about the choppy looking front end, the change to tail lights -really no big deal, not an auto guy, digital dash = F No, and don't expect any big increase to TQ. Get a gt350 IM setup, decent tune, exhaust and coilovers on MY17 and and I'm there. If you're in the market there will be lots of deals on 17's as dealers will demand MSRP as the 18 is introduced.

Also, like to add that I have always found the last year of a model is usually the best year. Loved my '67 Stingray, 70 was the last of Mach 1 era, 69 last Camero, 70 last Chevelle...and all the latter years were supposed to big big improvements and at the time were well received by the public until they soon realized it wasn't so great.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Not since 1974 has a new Mustang been a worse car than the one it replaced. Even in some years where acceleration performance dipped a bit, the new generation or refresh were always better on the whole.

For example: Many folks here will turn their nose up at the fact that the S197 is quicker at the strip (and some will call that "fake news" because it bothers them) but nobody would say that the S197 is a better car in any other way...and I'd bet that even the diehard S197 Fanboys would secretly jump at the chance to swap their cars for an S550. The new body style drives better, is higher quality all around, has more sophisticated tech and a better chassis in general.

Ford knows what they're doing and they have their shit together...they wouldn't mess with the S550 if it wasn't for the better.

So yes...The 2018 is going to be superior to the 2015-17 cars. The question is whether or not it's enough better to justify spending more (likely thousands for per comparably equipped a car) since there will be much better deals on the 2017 cars. I'd honestly wait for performance figures and reviews before even guessing.

Don't worry about the looks. They both look great...you'd almost certainly be equally happy with either one. With few exceptions, we grow to love the looks of the car we end up with and eventually prefer it to previous and later versions. It's human nature....I'm a huge fan of the 2010 refresh, admittedly largely because I bought a version of that body style and I've become loyal to it. Now that these are ending up as cheap used cars and being shabbily modded, I'm gradually falling out of love with that iteration of the Mustang. :p

All I can say is that you don't buy your new iPhone in late summer when the next version is a month or two away. I'd bet my solid rear axle that the 2018 will be worth the wait.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Azure Blue for me, please, Ford!

If I was in a position to buy an '18MY, there's only one thing that would prevent me putting down a deposit the moment the order banks open..........and that one thing would be this!

If Ford brings out a Mach 1 for the '19MY (50th Anniversary) that would be the one for me......especially if it came with a CPC version of the 5.2.....

:love:

Sponsored

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
Not since 1974 has a new Mustang been a worse car than the one it replaced. Even in some years where acceleration performance dipped a bit, the new generation or refresh were always better on the whole.
Starting in 1971 the Mustang dropped out like many others in the US market. If you like the Fox body then you could say it took them a decade to come back and if you don't then it took closer to 2 decades for the Mustang to make a comeback in looks and performance. The 2020 Mustang could be the next Blackberry.

xwoodx

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8GT
I really think unless you get a screaming deal on a 17 you will regret it. The 20-30 HP is not the biggest part of the upgrade. There are a lot of improvements the aftermarket will never be able to match, especially if you want a automatic.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The upgraded clutch, the upgraded engine, MagneRide, and better wheel options are why I am waiting for 2018. Anything else is just a bonus.

Dr.Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

For example: Many folks here will turn their nose up at the fact that the S197 is quicker at the strip (and some will call that "fake news" because it bothers them) but nobody would say that the S197 is a better car in any other way...and I'd bet that even the diehard S197 Fanboys would secretly jump at the chance to swap their cars for an S550. The new body style drives better, is higher quality all around, has more sophisticated tech and a better chassis in general.

Ford knows what they're doing and they have their shit together...they wouldn't mess with the S550 if it wasn't for the better.

So yes...The 2018 is going to be superior to the 2015-17 cars. The question is whether or not it's enough better to justify spending more (likely thousands for per comparably equipped a car) since there will be much better deals on the 2017 cars. I'd honestly wait for performance figures and reviews before even guessing.

Don't worry about the looks. They both look great...you'd almost certainly be equally happy with either one. With few exceptions, we grow to love the looks of the car we end up with and eventually prefer it to previous and later versions. It's human nature....I'm a huge fan of the 2010 refresh, admittedly largely because I bought a version of that body style and I've become loyal to it. Now that these are ending up as cheap used cars and being shabbily modded, I'm gradually falling out of love with that iteration of the Mustang. :p

All I can say is that you don't buy your new iPhone in late summer when the next version is a month or two away. I'd bet my solid rear axle that the 2018 will be worth the wait.
I don't think that anyone is questioning whether the 2018s will be BETTER than the 2015s-17s...It's pretty obvious that the performance and technology will be improved...after all, like you said, the newer model year is almost always BETTER than what it replaces...except when it comes to looks.

It really comes down to whether those improvements are significant enough to justify a change or waiting, and for many (myself included) are those changes substantial enough for a step backward in terms of styling. For me the answer was no

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I just hate that I'd have to start modding all over again if I traded. But if I was currently without a Mustang. The tech, power, 10 speed, mag ride would all be worth the wait to me. I wasn't sold on the 15s front end when it first came out. But it grew on me. I'm sure it would be the same for most people that have reservations on the 18s looks.
Sponsored