First service gone wrong

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
I took my car in for its first service and after several questions later I was assured that the techs were certified and were familiar with the GT350.
I sat in the waiting room for 2hrs for them to give the car a once over.
Once they were done I asked to keep my oil filter witch they put in three bags and handed it to me {monday}. every thing is fine and dandy on my way home 2 miles away I park the car and don't drive it until the following day.{tuesday} I drive it to work 65miles away pull into my parking spot shut the car off and open the door and I get a cloud of smoke that smells like oil and I can hear drops hitting the exhaust and sizzling. I then call the service manager that I had talked to and she said that she was awful sorry that this had happened and that she would talk to the tech that did the service and find out what the issue was and call me. I set it up to take the car in Saturday morning my next day off to get looked at and fixed. I was able to get off of work early on Wednesday and took the car in after a phone call that went to voice mail. at that point I was very perturbed that I did not get a call back When I showed up she said OH CRAP Mr.Rodriguez I was not expecting you until saturday morning... to wich I replied I tried calling you to let you know I was on my way and I'm here now lets Get this thing fixed... did you talk to the tech? Yes I did and I thought this was a normal mustang and that's why I assured you that the tech's knew what they were doing apparently he did not have the proper tool to torque the oil filter and did it hand tight like the rest of the mustangs he dose. she said she made a corporate phone call for help on the matter and that oil filter has a torque setting 16-18 inch pounds and takes a special tool that we don't have but we have ordered it . I said I know that and that is exactly what I was telling you in our initial conversation now I want to personally talk to tech that is putting hands on the car next and ask him some basic questions. No problem Let me get him for you. I asked him to set his torque wrench for me and to make two videos one of him taking the filter off and one of him installing the new filter on he said yeah no problem. after he was done he showed me the videos and gave me the the leaking filter to inspect he said it was installed wrong and the rubber gasket was pinched and that caused the oil leak he said he also steam cleaned the under side and made sure that it was not leaking. the service manager said she was sorry and could not say that she was sorry enough and she said I would be getting a survey soon about the incident and to be kind when filling it out B/C her pay was based on customer feedback but please voice your anger/fustrations before you leave please take these they are a few vouchers so you can take your car through the local car wash!!! I said no thank you I wont be bribed just don't brush your customers off next time they seem concerned and know what they are talking about

Sorry for ranting on and on but I needed this.... it helps stop me from kicking doors in and stomping mud holes in people
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I hope there was no permanent damage

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
she said she made a corporate phone call for help on the matter and that oil filter has a torque setting 16-18 inch pounds.
It's actually 16~18 ft-lbs. People who bring their GT350s in for service need to drill it into their heads that the oil filter needs to be torqued properly.

Did they check the oil level to see how much oil was lost?

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Rule 1. Never take your Ford to Ford for service. If you are not a grease monkey find a good speed shop in your area to take it to. I do all my own basic stuff but anything involved goes to my guy in Tampa.

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
I wonder what the tech thought the sticker on filter with the torque specs on it was all about?:frusty:

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Rule 1. Never take your Ford to Ford for service. If you are not a grease monkey find a good speed shop in your area to take it to. I do all my own basic stuff but anything involved goes to my guy in Tampa.
Who's your guy in Tampa? PM if you want.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I'm sorry you went through this. Not to make things worse but if they did not have the proper filter wrench, what makes you think they actually put 5W-50 in your car? Since this oil is primarily used in the VOODOO, many dealers do not stock it. I always picture in my mind the tech going "Ah, it's just oil. I'll use the 5W-20"

It's crap like what you are going through that ensures I do my own oil changes.

Hope this did not cause any damage.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Sorry about this. You handled your end fine and tried to take the necessary precautions but flawed execution thwarted your valiant efforts. It is amazing how quickly people are dismissed by the all knowing Tech.

After reading this I don't feel so bad talking to my independent service center about how to perform an oil change. It was the first time they ever had to torque an oil filter.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I'm sorry you went through this. Not to make things worse but if they did not have the proper filter wrench, what makes you think they actually put 5W-50 in your car? Since this oil is primarily used in the VOODOO, many dealers do not stock it. I always picture in my mind the tech going "Ah, it's just oil. I'll use the 5W-20"

Good point! 5w50 is also used in the 500 and they should have that stocked. Damn!!!! I cant believe even after being told specifically what to so they still mess it up. Dealership maintenance runs o volume of work and not quality. SAD! I also think the crap about the gasket being pinched is a load of crap! How does that happen? They are adhered on! So! did the tech not inspect the filter or put oil on the gasket or read the glaring cobra emblem with tq spec?? or check for leaks after install??? WTF!!!!

Sponsored

Blue Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1 1LE, GT350, Ford RS, F350 Dually, Explorer
I took my car in for its first service and after several questions later I was assured that the techs were certified and were familiar with the GT350.
I sat in the waiting room for 2hrs for them to give the car a once over.
Once they were done I asked to keep my oil filter witch they put in three bags and handed it to me {monday}. every thing is fine and dandy on my way home 2 miles away I park the car and don't drive it until the following day.{tuesday} I drive it to work 65miles away pull into my parking spot shut the car off and open the door and I get a cloud of smoke that smells like oil and I can hear drops hitting the exhaust and sizzling. I then call the service manager that I had talked to and she said that she was awful sorry that this had happened and that she would talk to the tech that did the service and find out what the issue was and call me. I set it up to take the car in Saturday morning my next day off to get looked at and fixed. I was able to get off of work early on Wednesday and took the car in after a phone call that went to voice mail. at that point I was very perturbed that I did not get a call back When I showed up she said OH CRAP Mr.Rodriguez I was not expecting you until saturday morning... to wich I replied I tried calling you to let you know I was on my way and I'm here now lets Get this thing fixed... did you talk to the tech? Yes I did and I thought this was a normal mustang and that's why I assured you that the tech's knew what they were doing apparently he did not have the proper tool to torque the oil filter and did it hand tight like the rest of the mustangs he dose. she said she made a corporate phone call for help on the matter and that oil filter has a torque setting 16-18 inch pounds and takes a special tool that we don't have but we have ordered it . I said I know that and that is exactly what I was telling you in our initial conversation now I want to personally talk to tech that is putting hands on the car next and ask him some basic questions. No problem Let me get him for you. I asked him to set his torque wrench for me and to make two videos one of him taking the filter off and one of him installing the new filter on he said yeah no problem. after he was done he showed me the videos and gave me the the leaking filter to inspect he said it was installed wrong and the rubber gasket was pinched and that caused the oil leak he said he also steam cleaned the under side and made sure that it was not leaking. the service manager said she was sorry and could not say that she was sorry enough and she said I would be getting a survey soon about the incident and to be kind when filling it out B/C her pay was based on customer feedback but please voice your anger/fustrations before you leave please take these they are a few vouchers so you can take your car through the local car wash!!! I said no thank you I wont be bribed just don't brush your customers off next time they seem concerned and know what they are talking about

Sorry for ranting on and on but I needed this.... it helps stop me from kicking doors in and stomping mud holes in people

The only "special" tool required is a torque wrench. This is why 98.5% of GT350 owners change their own oil.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Certainly agree with all of your points but between all of the ~18,000 GT500/Boss 302 cars sold in recent years I would hope that this dealership would have had a reason to carry 5W/50 oil for some of these other Mustangs but then again maybe this dealership does not deal with many HP Mustangs?

Hopefully your car did not lose too much oil and would suggest that once you get through this ordeal with this dealership that you find another location to change your oil and filter.

Goods luck!

;)

straightliner1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #HR262 / 2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali
I wonder what the tech thought the sticker on filter with the torque specs on it was all about?:frusty:
You think he actually took the time to read it? My money is on him not even taking the time to fill the filter prior to screwing it on and torquing it down. The thought of a "dry startup" makes my skin crawl.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
its a mixed bag man. majority of techs dont have much skills beyond the local jiffy lube. they dont care either. find a good one, hug them, and keep them.
Sponsored