Sponsored

New Tires and Psi....

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Hello,

I have just installed new Pilot Super Sports over the weekend. I noticed that the PSI mounted was 40 psi from tpms readings, which is too high. I waited a few days, and checked when the tires were cold.
My physical gauge says they are 32 psi and the tpms readings say 37 psi when cold. Which is correct, which should i go by?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Premium PP GT
I personally like to check the footprint and go from there .

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Think of it this way, you have 1 gauge. The sensors are 1 gauge in each tire. The typical accuracy of the sensors in the tires are +/- 1 psi. If your gauge reads consistently 5 psi below what the sensors in the tire for all 4 tires, I'd say your gauge is off. Sure you could get a sensor that is off but what is the chance you got 4 sensors that are off by the same amount in the same direction? Now if 3 tires were reading the same as your gauge and 1 was rreading a few pounds off, I would say the sensor is off.

OP
OP

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
That is the thing, the physical was correct when i had the pirellis, maybe -/+ 1 psi from senors. Maybe ill try another physical gauge and see if it comes out to the same readings. When they replace my tires they do not have to re calibrate the senors?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Calibrating the sensors doesn't change the reading. They aren't really calibrating them, they pair them to your car.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
There is a chance when they did the mount/dismount that they replaced the sensors, too, with a version that is out of whack with the psi. I'd trust a physical gauge over the sensors every day of the week. My car is pretty much +/- 1 psi from two gauges, but Check your receipt. I've had to specifically tell them no, do not replace (or rebuild) my TPMS unless they're busted. Which they are not. (in my case).

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
They are just pressure sensors. The pressure being measured isn't going to change from wheel/tire on 1 car vs another. All they do is sense the pressure and transmit to the car.

They are just like a pressure gauge in the store except instead of having a display, they transmit the value. If you went to the store and bought 4 new gauges that's stated accuracy is +/- 1 psi and all 4 of them read 3 lbs higher than your old gauge, would you still think your old gauge is correct? Because that's what you're saying.

There's no magic going on with tire pressure sensors. There's no calculations being done in the computer or adapting or anything like that. The sensor just senses the pressure and transmits it. Once the sensors are paired to the car, the computer picks up those values and displays them, that's it.
Sponsored