Sponsored

Poor resale value

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
Very tempting.. which dealer is offering this price?
Not a Performance Pack, but a Dealer not far from me in Winder GA has like 5 Base GT's, and their asking price online is $26,500. Wish I would have waited a couple of months before getting mine. They have some PP's for $29,500. All Brand new 17's

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I'm in the same boat really. I build custom cars for a living (all kinds... lot of Mustangs, but I've done about 1 of everything). My personal car is a 2015 PP GT Premium, 50th Edition (non LE). It's got custom body work, paint, wheels, ProCharged, etc. Book value on the car is 36k. Bought new for 44k (literally has every single option). However, I've been offered north of 60k for it... and I've got 20k miles on the car.

60k is about my break even mark... so I wouldn't be doing myself any favors to unload it there. When I build one like this new, we source direct and modify new, never driven cars. We flip those out at considerably more than $60,000. Mine will likely never be sold. 1) because I hand built it and 2) it's the perfect car for me. If I sell it, I'll just end up rebuilding the exact same car again.

So, talks about selling it go towards, "Hey, really. Just let me build you one. Get yourself a new Mustang, come to me and we'll talk. We can get you a 675-1,100hp Mustang custom built and delivered in 2 weeks from the day you drop it off and it won't be much more than you're trying to buy this one for and nobody will have one like it."
download (28).jpg

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Not a Performance Pack, but a Dealer not far from me in Winder GA has like 5 Base GT's, and their asking price online is $26,500. Wish I would have waited a couple of months before getting mine. They have some PP's for $29,500. All Brand new 17's
When I talked to them (Akins Ford) about trading my 15 EB on a 16 PP, they offered me 15K. It was absurd. And even if you just want to pay cash outright, they usually have a disclaimer that you have to trade a car to get that price. Thus, they steal your trade to buy down the price on the new car.

Sponsored

Bcart50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
silverado
I'' sure that is the price... then they slap on all their bs fees and. Score you know it you are close to a normal it'd price.

I just went through this 2 weeks ago when I bought my 17 PP... I got tired of wheeling and dealing and just said screw it. It's the car I want and pulled the trigger.

I know I didn't get the best deal... but not the worst.

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
I'' sure that is the price... then they slap on all their bs fees and. Score you know it you are close to a normal it'd price.

I just went through this 2 weeks ago when I bought my 17 PP... I got tired of wheeling and dealing and just said screw it. It's the car I want and pulled the trigger.

From what I've heard they just charge you tax and the $599 service fee which isn't bad, but I'm not sure if they require a trade in etc. Sounds like they might based on other post.

magnetic16gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
I don't understand all of this "only leasing makes sense if you get rid of your car in less than X years" talk.

How are you never upside down when you lease? You have 2+ years of payments for something you never own. You're literally upside down on day one.

Also, what do GT's lease for? 500-600 a month plus a bit down for a premium? At the lower end, you're 18k plus down payment invested on a 3 year lease. I paid 33k for my GT premium. I'm hoping my car is worth more than the 12-13k I would have to get to beat the value of leasing.

I just never see good lease deals on sports cars for it to make any sense.

FYI...the going lease deal on an ecoboost premium was just over 400 a month for 12k a year when we were looking for my wife last year..

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
I don't understand all of this "only leasing makes sense if you get rid of your car in less than X years" talk.

How are you never upside down when you lease? You have 2+ years of payments for something you never own. You're literally upside down on day one.

Also, what do GT's lease for? 500-600 a month plus a bit down for a premium? At the lower end, you're 18k plus down payment invested on a 3 year lease. I paid 33k for my GT premium. I'm hoping my car is worth more than the 12-13k I would have to get to beat the value of leasing.

I just never see good lease deals on sports cars for it to make any sense.

FYI...the going lease deal on an ecoboost premium was just over 400 a month for 12k a year when we were looking for my wife last year..
As far as I am aware Ford does not lease GT's or Excursions if they still build those. I agree most sports cars dont lease well.

The lease vs. buy for 3-4 year is a usage cost comparsion. It's not the equity that matters to most people its the cost to use the car whether it be per mile or per month or usage.

For example if I bought a ecoboost for $28k and traded it it in 3 years for $12k cost is $16k or $444 a month. Could you lease a $28k sticker ecoboost for less than $444 a month? Probably, so lease would be cheaper plus you save on tax with a lease you pay for the tax on the monthly x term not the full purchase price.

magnetic16gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
As far as I am aware Ford does not lease GT's or Excursions if they still build those. I agree most sports cars dont lease well.

The lease vs. buy for 3-4 year is a usage cost comparsion. It's not the equity that matters to most people its the cost to use the car whether it be per mile or per month or usage.

For example if I bought a ecoboost for $28k and traded it it in 3 years for $12k cost is $16k or $444 a month. Could you lease a $28k sticker ecoboost for less than $444 a month? Probably, so lease would be cheaper plus you save on tax with a lease you pay for the tax on the monthly x term not the full purchase price.
That's a good point. If you're driving more than 10-12k miles, leasing certainly does not seem like a value.

I guess at the end of the day, what makes financial sense for one person, doesn't for the other. I have kept my last 3 cars for just under 2 years and have done just fine with resale. However, I did have to pass up a lot of opportunities due to low balling/poor deals. I guess you just have to know what makes sense to you...I was able to unload my '14 GT for just a few grand less than I paid for it after 2 years/26k miles. Took me 2 months of being patient though!

Sponsored

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6

The dealer car buying experience is worse than ever. They try to throw a curve ball at us any way they can. For those who haven't bought a car recently, this is no exageration: the price you pay is not set in stone until you sign that last piece of paper the dealer puts in front of you when you pick up the car, despite what they tell you otherwise. They get offended if you act like you don't trust them, but the fact is they usually do everything they can to earn distrust. I've bought new cars for over 30 years, and two in the past two years. I got good deals but it sure took a lot of work to not get the rug pulled from under me.

pdac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT, 2011 GT/CS, 2013 Jeep Wranger, 2014 GT/CS - All SOLD! Current - 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
The dealer car buying experience is worse than ever. They try to throw a curve ball at us any way they can. For those who haven't bought a car recently, this is no exageration: the price you pay is not set in stone until you sign that last piece of paper the dealer puts in front of you when you pick up the car, despite what they tell you otherwise. They get offended if you act like you don't trust them, but the fact is they usually do everything they can to earn distrust. I've bought new cars for over 30 years, and two in the past two years. I got good deals but it sure took a lot of work to not get the rug pulled from under me.
This is very true. I've bought 4 new cars in the last three years and it's never fun. The only thing I can say is ALWAYS get the "out the door" price in writing (email) before going into the dealership. At the dealership is not the place to begin the negotiations. Not only will you be there for 5+ hours but you are on their home turf and susceptible to all of the sleazy tricks. Also, I mentioned this in another post, but I've had much better luck selling my car (generally through Carmax but it doesn't matter) prior to buying the new car. This alteast takes away one of the tools they use to screw you.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
We lease my wife a new car every 3 years with no money down and the residual value is about 60â„… of the MSRP. Most cars will lose about 50â„… in 3 to 5 years. So a 30k car is worth about 15 k in about 4 years.. My Mustang was MSRP 37k, out the door for 32k, and the trade s 22k. After 3 years the cars value will level out a bit. Similar cars are going for 24-25k on auto trader.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have bought 4 new cars and one used over the past 6 years and the transactions have been more transparent and above board than any other new car I have purchased in the preceding 30 years.
Sponsored