Sponsored

Poor resale value

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
FWIW, when I traded in my 2011 GT last spring, I got $19,500 for it. I think these cars dip rather fast but then start to level off at a certain point. The dealer put it on their lot for $23K and change. Personally, I thought that was fair. Funny story, I ended up seeing my car again not too long ago and met the guy who bought it. He thanked and hated me at the same time ha. He said he snatched it up for about $22K. He bought it about 3 weeks after it was listed.
Sponsored

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
The only car I ever made a profit on was an American one, helped by their rarity over here in the UK.

It was a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis in brilliant condition with only 36,000 miles on the clock.

I bought it a couple of years ago for ÂŁ3,200. Ran it for 8 months then sold it, when Ford UK announced the S550 prices, for ÂŁ4,500.

That was free motoring for 8 months, incl fuel and insurance, even at 12 mpg with petrol at 8 dollars a gallon.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
FWIW, when I traded in my 2011 GT last spring, I got $19,500 for it. I think these cars dip rather fast but then start to level off at a certain point. The dealer put it on their lot for $23K and change. Personally, I thought that was fair. Funny story, I ended up seeing my car again not too long ago and met the guy who bought it. He thanked and hated me at the same time ha. He said he snatched it up for about $22K. He bought it about 3 weeks after it was listed.
This is true. The value will drop steeply in the first couple years of ownership and then level out. The GT actually holds its resale value pretty well after that.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I would rather very lightly modify this car and then wait until the S650 drops and get that, even if I have to keep the S650 mostly stock to make it financially reasonable. I'd rather have the latest generation with modern performance and tech upgrades, than an old gen with a bunch of mods. Just preference

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Add Jeep Wranglers, they have good resale value.

As far as mustangs go, it has always been the high end mustangs that got better resale value (Cobra, GT500, maybe even the Boss 302).

GT500's have slowly been going down probably because of the upcoming GT500. GT350 resale is doing stellar. At least you didnt spend 100k on a Vette. 3LZ package C7Z have been dropping, to 80s. Maybe have been able to get a '16 C7Z 3LZ for mid-upper $70k. Insane price!

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The only car I ever made a profit on was an American one, helped by their rarity over here in the UK.

It was a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis in brilliant condition with only 36,000 miles on the clock.
I almost bought a Mercury Mistress once but CarFax showed it had tested positive for aids.

[ame]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x359dd_mercury-mistress_fun[/ame]

scotdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black GT Premium
I disagree with the no resale value, but you have to keep the car for a long while. My last mustang was a '96 I had for ten years and put 160,000 mile on. Sold it the second day for $5000. Much better resale than a comparable Camry!

My latest Mustang is an '05 that I think I can get 9K - 10K for. I only paid 23K 11 years ago. In my book that's great.

sspfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 ssp notch, '16 Gt/pp
Not sure if this has been said, If you hold onto the car for another 2-3 months it will be worth around $1-2k more because of the seasonal price difference with the used sports car market.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Not sure if this has been said, If you hold onto the car for another 2-3 months it will be worth around $1-2k more because of the seasonal price difference with the used sports car market.
It *could* be worth more.

There's no promise of a value bump.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Cars are not appreciating assets. If you buy a car assuming good resale, you will be very disappointed. You buy a car because it is what you want to drive.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Cars are not appreciating assets. If you buy a car assuming good resale, you will be very disappointed. You buy a car because it is what you want to drive.
Bingo.

There are a few appreciating cars, but they are the hyper exotics, IE Veyrons, Enzo's, etc.

People like to bring up the classic muscle cars..that's a really bad example. Hell in the late 70's and 80's you could buy a 440 Six Pack Challenger, a Hemi Cuda or any of the other classic muscle cars for less than a contemporary Camaro/Mustang cost. The surge they saw is NOT typical.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Aftermarket mods do not add too much value. Maybe 30% of the parts value unless it is highend parts, but even then.
Aftermarket mods can be a negative for a dealer who won't be interested in supporting them or wondering if the car will pass smog.

packerfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang gt grabber blue
Just out of curiosity how many miles were on the 11? Wondering what i would get on trade.

justang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura TL
Bingo.

There are a few appreciating cars, but they are the hyper exotics, IE Veyrons, Enzo's, etc.

People like to bring up the classic muscle cars..that's a really bad example. Hell in the late 70's and 80's you could buy a 440 Six Pack Challenger, a Hemi Cuda or any of the other classic muscle cars for less than a contemporary Camaro/Mustang cost. The surge they saw is NOT typical.

True. However there are a couple of modern non-exotics that are steadily appreciating in value - Toyota Supra and Honda S2000.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Aftermarket mods can be a negative for a dealer who won't be interested in supporting them or wondering if the car will pass smog.
Or even reduce the value because the group of people looking to buy a used Mustang that's been modded 1 certain way is smaller. Most have their own view of mods; look and sound. Another factor is some people dont buy modded used cars because it indicates being beat on.

That's why I typically only lightly mod my cars visually; the rear FRRP decklid and front RTR grills and Roush hood vents can all be removes and stocks put back in. A new spoiler can be on if someone doesnt like the GT350 track pack one. The only stock parts I got rid of was the exhaust and wheels that really cant go back to stock
Sponsored