Bullitt S550 Mustang Leaked in Video?

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
My wife and I watched my BluRay copy of Bullit last night. Fun.
I had not realized there was a full biographical 'extra' on it about Steve McQueen's life and history. So much I did not know about him. It was very interesting. He was a hero of mine from a young age. I graduated 8th grade in 1968. Being a dirt bike rider, I also loved The Great Escape and On Any Sunday.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
To me, the Bullitt really, it slots in the same type of place as say the California Special. A bit of appearance here and there and perhaps, possibly, maybe even the tiniest of performance enhancements.

It's astounding that were are already in the 3rd year of the S550 being available and we haven't even heard a peep about the GT500 successor. WEll... until R&T asked and received the "755" dash image from Ford's communications dude...

Still, I am glad that the Mustang is what McQueen used as it adds to the cars iconic status. Keep the Bullit alive. Glad to see it returning.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think there will be another California Special just because they represent California cool and are not difficult for Ford to produce. The California Special is more of a recognition of the car culture in southern California than a performance eddition .

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
To me, the Bullitt really, it slots in the same type of place as say the California Special. A bit of appearance here and there and perhaps, possibly, maybe even the tiniest of performance enhancements.

It's astounding that were are already in the 3rd year of the S550 being available and we haven't even heard a peep about the GT500 successor. WEll... until R&T asked and received the "755" dash image from Ford's communications dude...

Still, I am glad that the Mustang is what McQueen used as it adds to the cars iconic status. Keep the Bullit alive. Glad to see it returning.
Bullitt is absolutely more than a GT/CS. GT/CS is an appearance package, and nothing more.

Everyone is always caught up on the fact that the Bulitt, "only" had a few extra HP over a GT, but it really was a comprehensive performance upgrade.

The 08 Bullitt had more power and torque, upgraded front brakes, a higher redline, a retuned suspension and it had the 3.73:1 rear end from the GT500KR. It had bespoke mufflers and H-Pipe (to my knowledge, neither has been used on other Mustang). All of this (on top of the aesthetic items) combines to make a car that is definitely an upgrade over a GT.

Here's another thing most people don't know: the 08/09 Bullitt had a completely different engine block from an 05-09 Mustang GT. Yes, it's still a 4.6L mod motor, but the block needed extensive upgrades to be able to handle the extra revs. It was also the first Mustang tjat had the ability to use both regular and premiumbfuel. And that same engine was the 2010 Mustang GT engine before the Coyote came out.

You could really say the Bullitt laid the groundwork for a lot of things everyone loves about their Mustangs today.

Last edited:

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
This can be extended to the '01 as well, the progenitor for the '08/'09 - more power and torque because of hardware and PCM tuning changes, different springs, different shocks, different mufflers, and styling changes that were meant to "subtle down" in keeping with the low key theme. Forum member DABKO outlined those here in his post.

In short, the Bullitt models from the past have definitely been more than strictly appearance changes. The California Specials are nice in their own right, but performance-wise are the same as the GTs on which they are based.

Sponsored

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This can be extended to the '01 as well, the progenitor for the '08/'09 - more power and torque because of hardware and PCM tuning changes, different springs, different shocks, different mufflers, and styling changes that were meant to "subtle down" in keeping with the low key theme. Forum member DABKO outlined those here in his post.

In short, the Bullitt models from the past have definitely been more than strictly appearance changes. The California Specials are nice in their own right, but performance-wise are the same as the GTs on which they are based.
Exactly. Bullitts never get the respect they should be cause they only have a few more hp than the GT from which they're based, but there is SO much more to a Bullitt than a few HP and green paint...

Zombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LFG GT350
Last edited:

Zombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LFG GT350
Im sure it was on purpose :)
Yeah, agreed. I can't see this one with such an obvious "reveal" being an accident. :)

Ford likes to tease. :ford:

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Press days for the Chicago Auto Show are this week and on the press conference schedule, it lists "Ford Vehicle Introduction" at 11:30 (central time) for Ford's slot.

Maybe it's the Bullitt! But the new Expedition is probably more likely...

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
There is no Lincoln press conference scheduled, and since the Navigator is based on the same chassis and they've been developed side by side I could see them being revealed at the same event. Since Lincoln isn't debuting anything in Chicago, this could fuel hope that they're holding off on the Expedition and Navigator till New York. Then again, maybe Lincoln doesn't want the association between the two so they'll space them out. I'm hoping it's the first theory though so that it leaves room for a possible Bullitt reveal.

Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
My Dark Moss Green '67 Fastback GTA was awesome and I wish I still had her. She looked exactly like the original Bullitt car except for the side vent trim and wheels and a slightly darker, greener green.

The previous owner had removed the pony, corral, and wings from the grill and put Torque Trust wheels on it. That was in the late '70s early '80s and once in a while someone would say it looked kind of like the movie car. It wasn't a big deal back them, it just looked cool!

I don't want the fake gas cap, or Bullitt markings, but I do want a new version of my badass dark green Mustang. Would it be sacrilegious to buy a Bullitt and take off all the Bullitt bling? I'd put it all in a box, in case I ever sold it.

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It could go both ways really. There is no Lincoln press conference scheduled, and since the Navigator is based on the same chassis and they've been developed side by side I could see them being revealed at the same event. Since Lincoln isn't debuting anything in Chicago, this could fuel hope that they're holding off on the Expedition and Navigator till New York. Then again, maybe Lincoln doesn't want the association between the two so they'll space them out. I'm hoping it's the first theory though so that it leaves room for a possible Bullitt reveal.
After the Fusion/MKZ launch together at NAIAS a few years ago, I'd be flabbergasted if they launched them together. Ford launched the new Fusion and MKZ at the same show and it worked very negatively for Lincoln - everyone said, why would I spend extra money for the Lincoln when the Ford has almost all of the same features, and arguably looks better.

The Chicago Auto Show has historically been a truck/SUV/fleet heavy show, so I think it makes sense for Ford to unveil the Expedition in Chicago, and then the Navigator in New York (Cadillac's neighborhood).

Where feature Mustangs figure into all of this, though, who knows...

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I'd bank on the Expedition in Chicago too. New York is a big enough show for multiple Ford debuts, but everyone keeps saying a high performance Mustang (GT500) might debut there. So who knows, maybe Ford won't reveal it till LA in the fall like the 08 or just post it online sometime before then (like on the 50th anniversary of the movie release in October like TopNotch suggested). :shrug:

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Well Ford did kinda surprise everybody with the 18 reveal at NAIAS.... being that it was unannounced and not during their "scheduled" event.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My Dark Moss Green '67 Fastback GTA was awesome and I wish I still had her. She looked exactly like the original Bullitt car except for the side vent trim and wheels and a slightly darker, greener green.

The previous owner had removed the pony, corral, and wings from the grill and put Torque Trust wheels on it. That was in the late '70s early '80s and once in a while someone would say it looked kind of like the movie car. It wasn't a big deal back them, it just looked cool!

I don't want the fake gas cap, or Bullitt markings, but I do want a new version of my badass dark green Mustang. Would it be sacrilegious to buy a Bullitt and take off all the Bullitt bling? I'd put it all in a box, in case I ever sold it.
2015 or 2016 in Guard.
Sponsored