Sponsored

Euro NCAP 2 STAR safety rating!!

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Here is the email I've just sent to Ford at the address below.

http://www.ford.co.uk/Footer/ContactUs/ContactByEmail

Hello,
I have orders in place for two new Ford cars from Bristol Street Gloucester, one is a Ford Focus RS, the other is a Mustang GT. Having read a lot of information regarding the Ncap tests carried out recently, I am fully aware of the changes Ncap have made to their test and the way the weight the points system on facts that I do not believe are relevant to the cars ability to protect its occupants in the event of an accident. I am, however concerned about the late execution of the airbags in some tests, allowing damage to the occupants heads. As a customer who does not yet have possession of my vehicles, I am concerned that Ford have not responded in any way to the findings concerning the airbags, and am considering cancelling my orders as I may be putting friends, family and myself at risk should an accident occur whilst we are in one of your vehicles? Please inform me of any changes you will be making to your vehicles airbag systems, and if you will not be updating them, please inform me why this is the case.

I await a reply... I'll bet they come back with something along the lines of.. the Focus has passed all tests and has five stars.. totally missing the point!!
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dacia Logan MCV
I have to say, I am going to have to have a serious look at some of these findings. To say this might have had duff airbags is grasping at straws a bit. The US IIHS (their NCAP equivalent) also revealed the airbag issue in the overlap test.

This is a worrying turn of events and as I have only around a month before mine arrives, I may have some hard decisions to make. None of which will be made before I can sift out the sensationalism from fact.
If is costs nothing to cancel then why not wait for the 2018 Mustang as Ford have promised to address the issues?

It's a lot of money to splash out on a new car to have safety niggles in the back of your mind (even if those worries are unfounded).

I think the 2018 version will be a bit faster too, ie. less safe!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dacia Logan MCV
My Dacia is a three star, because Renault will not fit the more debatable electronic aids in order to keep the price down, and good for them.

I was looking why Renaults Megane got just three stars and came across this NCAP idiocy:

Renault’s Mégane hatchback has been marked down to just three stars in the latest Euro NCAP crash test results because “the text informing the driver of the status of the rear seatbelts was not available in all languages”.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I thought of changing but the 2018 will be the same except for the extra nannies which means it'll probably only go to a three star. Plus the front of the 18 looks as though it's already been in a crash!

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I await a reply... I'll bet they come back with something along the lines of.. the Focus has passed all tests and has five stars.. totally missing the point!!
You drive a defender and you're concerned about passenger protection in a Mustang??:shrug::confused:

Sponsored

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You drive a defender and you're concerned about passenger protection in a Mustang??:shrug::confused:
If you look at post #305 you'll see just how concerned I am, but I would like Ford to make some kind of statement about their airbag trigger systems causing a delayed reaction.

I hope they don't read this, because I'm getting both those cars whatever they say.

You make a good point about the Defender though.... I guess that's why they have been "driven" out of production?

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Phew......you had me worried for a moment there:D:lol::thumbsup:

SSC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Surely people don't actually believe that's for real? It must have been filmed on April 1st.

Interesting how the wires got cut on impact and the engine stayed with the driver even though the front end miraculously sheared off on impact. Also like to know how the tyres got ripped off the rims and the rear end was parted so neatly from the front.

This is definitely the US say "up yours" to the ENcap guys!!:lol::lol:

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Convertible as well (there's half the body strength gone anyway)!

Sponsored

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Interesting how the wires got cut on impact and the engine stayed with the driver even though the front end miraculously sheared off on impact. Also like to know how the tyres got ripped off the rims and the rear end was parted so neatly from the front.
This is part of my whole argument about NCAP and it's standardised controlled tests which are a rough guide at best and in no way indicative of most real world incidents... accidents are random in the way they occur due to so many different factors at the time - such as speed, angle, weather, terrain, surrounding environment (other cars, lamposts, walls and static objects etc. of different sizes shapes and rigidity), even down to the seating position of the occupant/s (short person closer to wheel, taller person further away etc.) all of which can affect the outcome.

'Up yours' to NCAP is being polite in my estimation.

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Do you think it might be a ploy by perhaps a German car manufacturer(s) to slow sales of the Mustang and protect their business in Europe?

Who funded the test? Does anyone know?

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Do you think it might be a ploy by perhaps a German car manufacturer(s) to slow sales of the Mustang and protect their business in Europe?

Who funded the test? Does anyone know?
Governments, Car Companies, and/or Manufacturers can submit their own cars.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/euro-ncap-testing
  • Ford didn't want to submit the car so it rules that out.
  • Mustang is now the world's most popular sports car and, before that, the Audi TT/Porsche Cayman were top of the charts - both are owned by VW who are presently being dragged over the coals by their shit-brick diesel engine scandal in the USA.
  • Porsche Caymans and Boxsters are only a few grand more than the Mustang (ÂŁ35k vs ÂŁ38k/ÂŁ39k). So why haven't those been tested?
  • Euro NCAP used to be a British branch of the DoT, now its based in Brussels, which is Germany's bitch.
  • Both the Mustang and Audi TT scored 6.9PTs for front safety but the Mustang was disqualified for an allegedly dodgy airbag? If its truly dodgy then why didn't the IIHS (aka: strictest crash tests in the world) pick up on it? Why have Ford not recalled it if its a genuine safety concern?
  • EU Government and German Government knew about VW cheating for years and did nothing about it, because what Germany wants, Germany gets: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/09/29/volk-s29.html

I think we can put two-and-two together. Either VW purchased the cars, purchased the cars and slipped some extra cash under the desk, or they cried to Ms Merkel to beat off big meanie Ford.

Either way it hasn't really worked. Yes there have been some cancelled orders but thousands upon thousands are still being sold and Ford can't build them fast enough. Plus pre-orders, Ford have shifted 25000~30000 of the things in Europe (25% of them in the UK alone, making us the largest single market) by the end of 2016 and the waiting list is still a year long.

VW can piss and moan all they want. People still want their pony. :ford:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
:amen:

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
Either way it hasn't really worked. Yes there have been some cancelled orders but thousands upon thousands are still being sold and Ford can't build them fast enough. Plus pre-orders, Ford have shifted 25000~30000 of the things in Europe (25% of them in the UK alone, making us the largest single market) by the end of 2016 and the waiting list is still a year long.
I keep seeing different numbers bandied around, so I went looking. At the DVLA web site ( https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/all-vehicles-veh01 ) if you look at table VEH0160 (all new cars in 2016) it shows:

FORD MUSTANG AUTO 49
FORD MUSTANG ECOBOOST 423
FORD MUSTANG ECOBOOST AUTO 513
FORD MUSTANG GT 1165
FORD MUSTANG GT AUTO 809
FORD MUSTANG SVT COBRA 1

So I make that 2,910 RHD's and 50 imports for 2016, with another 488 for 2015. So 3,398 up the end of 2016. Quite an impressive figure, but not the 6K to 7K you implied.
Sponsored