Sponsored

2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You do make some good points and you have shared a lot of technical info, you seem to be a stand up guy.

I always assumed I would eventually add coolers but never in a million years expected a Shelby of any trim to be so underwhelming in warm weather, on any road when pushed even a bit. The lack of even a marginally competent upgrade path in a remotely timely manner just serves to further justify the frustrations.

As a consumer I just make my feelings known with my wallet.
Well put. That was the type of down to earth post that the decision makers at Ford should be paying attention to. Sadly, that ship has sailed in this case.

Put down the keyboard and pick up a wrench. That is the only way you are going to see progress
As a fellow dinosaur, I appreciate your point of view. And I look forward to the continuing updates on your own Tech car.
Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Round and around this goes. I can't believe you even got [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION] involved in this, when all he does is try to provide helpful information.

At this point everyone should realize that Ford is not giving anyone a free upgrade or buying the car back. That leaves 4 simple options.

1)sell it
2)upgrade the transmission and coolers
3)buy the cooler and external pump
4)forget about it and just enjoy he car

Finger pointing will not help you reach your goals of running at the track. Put down the keyboard and pick up a wrench. That is the only way you are going to see progress
Yup, round and round it goes, just like posts like these that ignore the practicality of what you suggest and other legitimate points brought up here.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Yup, round and round it goes, just like posts like these that ignore the practicality of what you suggest and other legitimate points brought up here.
How is it impractical? A jack from sears and a tool set I got for high school graduation is all i will be using to get this done. It is not that difficult

Even if you aren't mechanically inclined, it is time to start learning. Do not rely on anyone else to solve your problems for you.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I would have to dig and I'm not good at that. You could've missed them as we are all busy so I'll just leave it at that. If I'm wrong I truly apologize.

I do appreciate your help in the matter, but yes, I can't get over how Ford has misled people here about the car and then royally botched the promised fixes. It very much smacks of needlessly pouring salt in the wound. So yes, based on this, I have a very hard time seeing how others could have that big of a difference of an opinion. Sometimes right is just right and wrong is wrong. I have a hard time seeing how people think Ford is in the right here. Especially in light of other issues such as the oil cooler lines and whatever is going on with the OPGs and engines grenading far too frequently IMO.

I had a very busy summer and knew the limitations of the car so I just did a couple of Autoxs. I was content to wait until this year to wait for FPs cooling solutions and has been previously stated by me and others there are reasons I'm unsure of what to do now.

Thanks for the response.

Fair enough.

I stand by the analogies I've made. We all had the same option groups to choose from.

Let's agree on this...Ford made some very poor decisions with regard to how they packaged options (or base) in '15/'16. Neither choice (Track or Tech/Base) was a win. No doubt somebody in the program argued that this was a bad idea. Sadly, those that were averse were disregarded. They should have been listened to. Lashings are owed.

Oil pump gears fail at sampling rates that meet Ford's minimum standards. I'm not a fan of Ford's material of choice. If mine shatters the first day I'm out of warranty I'll be disappointed, no doubt about that. But that won't stop me from making it right as expensive as it may be.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
How is it impractical? A jack from sears and a tool set I got for high school graduation is all i will be using to get this done. It is not that difficult

Even if you aren't mechanically inclined, it is time to start learning. Do not rely on anyone else to solve your problems for you.
I'd love to learn and I have the tools or have acces to them, but not neccasarily the time. It isn't the easiest thing to clear up a weekend when working for a living and married with children. I have a kid a kid in hockey (and other sports) so you as a fellow MN should understand the time crunch that entails.

Also the practical aspect is the warranty. As I said previously it was hard enough to get them to replace the engine in a completely stock car. I'm not sure I want to go down the road and fight them when something else goes wrong or be on the hook for it.

Also, I may sell it and lose a bunch of money in the process. I haven't quite gotten there yet, but it could happen if things go south again this summer.

None of these are great choices IMO.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough.

I stand by the analogies I've made. We all had the same option groups to choose from.

Let's agree on this...Ford made some very poor decisions with regard to how they packaged options (or base) in '15/'16. Neither choice (Track or Tech/Base) was a win. No doubt somebody in the program argued that this was a bad idea. Sadly, those that were averse were disregarded. They should have been listened to. Lashings are owed.

Oil pump gears fail at sampling rates that meet Ford's minimum standards. I'm not a fan of Ford's material of choice. If mine shatters the first day I'm out of warranty I'll be disappointed, no doubt about that. But that won't stop me from making it right as expensive as it may be.
I agree on the middle part and agree we had the same option groups to choose from. But, I disagree we had all of the info available to make the best choice.

Part of the reason I went tech is I wanted the leather seats and not the Recaros, blasphemy I know. I didn't care about the heated/cooled seats, but I did like the Sync3 as my wife, daughter and I plan to use the car as a long weekend getaway fun car as well.

Anyway, in hindsight I should've probably went the way you did and somebody probably would've gladly traded me their leathers for Recaros. But, I stand by why I made my decision and don't fault others that made the same one.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I just watched the video you posted [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION]

So the Ford line goes the tech pack "customer won't be using the car quite so much on a race track and not as seriously." Ambiguity reigns and I'm being generous using that word IMO.

This doesn't tell you much. I can see people using this info both ways. They are saying you can still track a tech car, but not as seriously. Ok Ford what does that mean?

Had they flat out said up front how quick you would've gone into limp mode that would've helped a lot. And they wouldn't of sold the tech packs as fast or at the high ADMs is my guess. We will never know.

According to that video we should all be in Rs if we want to track the car seriously. ;)

Any way thanks for the video and the civil discussion, have a good one.

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
I never intended to track my tech car however I never expected to be hitting limp mode on the highway climbing a hill on a hot day.I have had that happen twice now and once when I was passing which put me in a dangerous situation. Fords solution to me was to avoid driving the car on hot days.

Sponsored

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
mods.. can you please clean the drivel out of this thread and bring it back to the technical so that folks that have yet to solve their problem might actually find useful information in this thread?

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
I never intended to track my tech car however I never expected to be hitting limp mode on the highway climbing a hill on a hot day.I have had that happen twice now and once when I was passing which put me in a dangerous situation. Fords solution to me was to avoid driving the car on hot days.
I see you are in BC.

If you want a hand with that let me know. I can provide you all the info I used for CAMVAP and walk you through it. Get yourself a buyback and then a 17 for the win!

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I see you are in BC.

If you want a hand with that let me know. I can provide you all the info I used for CAMVAP and walk you through it. Get yourself a buyback and then a 17 for the win!
I'm confused how in Canada you can have this issue solved but U.S. Lemon laws don't cover the trans... now oil Line issue.

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
That statement is present in the owners manual supplement. March 2016, GR3J 19B146 AA.

Note: For track day use with a GT350 Base model or GT350 with the Technology Package, we recommend that you add aftermarket transmission and differential coolers. Your vehicle is equipped with electronic controls that if required reduces power and limits RPM in order to control power train temperatures.
Here is another statement from the "Track Tips" supplement that ALL 2015/16 buyers received.

"The standard GT350 (base) and the GT350 Electronic package (Tech) certainly can be used on race tracks, but longer runs at high rpms should be avoided."
"CAN BE USED" is the phrase that pays here.

Sidebar: It seems rather odd that a "Track Tips" supplement would be found anywhere near a vehicle that is not expected to be used to some degree as a track car.

Maybe I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the use of "alternative facts".

And the thread beating goes on and on...............

Leonard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
With respect to the OEM Diff cooler (and I apologize if this has actually been covered I may have missed a critical bit in 157 pages).

1. We know we can enable/disable the gauge display in the dash cluster via forscan.
2. We can buy the pump, cooler, brackets, sensor and other components through Ford (despite some pieces being pretty spendy).
3. We know that the rear harness connection for the OEM pump assembly is missing from the Tech Pack.

Do we know the pinout for the rear harness connector and where the harness ultimately takes them? Is making this work as simple as building a subharness that connects to the OEM cooling module on one end and to the PCM connector and (relay switched)power on the other end?
Sponsored