Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
There should be a disclaimer on every tax return thread that no one cares that you set up your taxes perfectly and not giving the government a tax free loan.

didnt think you could order those yet..

im going for MGW!! once the flat stick comes out
You can pre-order on tire rack. Early March ship date.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I'm getting 1k back all from student loan interest, so no I'm not doing it wrong haha
right because the interest on the loan is a deduction and that offset and lowered your total income for the year because you used your income to pay interest. which means you got taxed on less income so you got the 1k back based off your final income. You already gave the government that 1k to begin with... you're only getting back what you already gave. you're just getting it back because you had less income from any and all deductions. that isn't magical extra 1k that uncle same has graced you with out of his pocket. same thing with any loan or mortgage.

There should be a disclaimer on every tax return thread that no one cares that you set up your taxes perfectly and not giving the government a tax free loan.
so can I take out a $10000 loan from you at zero interest so i can buy my whipple then and give you the money back in jan 2018? if you're down for that I am. :D that goes for anyone!

OP
OP
furiousfuria

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
right because the interest on the loan is a deduction and that offset and lowered your total income for the year because you used your income to pay interest. which means you got taxed on less income so you got the 1k back based off your final income. You already gave the government that 1k to begin with... you're only getting back what you already gave. you're just getting it back because you had less income from any and all deductions. that isn't magical extra 1k that uncle same has graced you with out of his pocket. same thing with any loan or mortgage.
I understand that this isn't money that came from no where. I get that. But it is much easier to just pay my student loans every month and input the interest paid at the end. There are a bunch of different loans rolled into one payment with all different interest rates. I'm sure a tax guy could figure it out pretty quick how much I could adjust taken out of my paycheck each period so it equals 0 but I don't mind that much. Haha why are we discussing this, let's talk about car parts!!

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
so can I take out a $10000 loan from you at zero interest so i can buy my whipple then and give you the money back in jan 2018? if you're down for that I am. :D that goes for anyone!
The vast majority of people aren't getting 10K returns. Yes, in an ideal world, you should come pretty close to $0 for a tax return, +/- a little, but taxes are messy and everyone's situation is different. Most people's tax returns aren't large enough to see a worthwhile return of investment anyway.

It's just that anytime someone mentions tax returns, you get the smug responses of you shouldn't give the government interest free loans... It's old and cliche...

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
It's just that anytime someone mentions tax returns, you get the smug responses of you shouldn't give the government interest free loans... It's old and cliche...
Agreed. Not to mention, for most people we're probably only talking a difference of between $15-$30 a paycheck here. What am I going to do with $15-$30 every two weeks, go piss it away eating out that many times more? Yeah, I get I'm giving uncle sam diddles an interest free loan and that money adds up to millions when you take me, and then multiply it by damn near everyone else in the country too. But, it's also nice to know I'm getting back a nice little chunk of change every season. There's usually something that comes up to spend it on, or it's nice to take what would have equated to me maybe just taking that small extra amount and pissing it away on more fastfood and instead treating myself to a larger indulgence instead.

But to each their own. I do get what he's saying, but if my budgeting is going to be impacted so hard by such small increments as what taking my return and dividing it up by 12 months equates to, then I have bigger problems lol.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
better than having to pay at the end of the year.. plus most people would just waste that extra money through the year.. this at least forces them to save a lump sum..
Agreed. Can't wait for mine! :headbang:

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
if yall ever were or are self employed/own a business you would understand not wanting to give the government a dime ever until you have to on the very last day after filing your extension. Fortunately the small business deregulation forthcoming and hopeful tax changes won't make it feel like anal rape to the 9th degree for being barely successful to wildly successful.

anyways!

Sponsored

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
neither, just save the money. Unless you want to turn your car into a track car... its fine as is, not perfect but fine.

You should adjust your withholdings. Should not give your money to the government interest free, just to get it back later. I'd rather owe 200 dollars than get a refund.

OP
OP
furiousfuria

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
This thread started off super helpful now it's turned into tax advice/arguments :frusty:. Please just give suggestions on parts! That was the whole point of this thread

I don't want to save the money. I already save a big chunk from every paycheck for retirement and I have an emergency fund. I have that itch to buy something for my car haha

So I've dwindled it down to these options for myself:

-Track pack suspension/steeda/BMR parts
-Throttle body/CAI/tune

What would the recommendations be on throttle body, CAI and tune combo besides the PP2?

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
This thread started off super helpful now it's turned into tax advice/arguments :frusty:. Please just give suggestions on parts! That was the whole point of this thread

I don't want to save the money. I already save a big chunk from every paycheck for retirement and I have an emergency fund. I have that itch to buy something for my car haha

-Throttle body/CAI/tune

What would the recommendations be on throttle body, CAI and tune combo besides the PP2?
The CAI and throttle body don't do "much"...mostly throttle response. The tune is the biggie.

If it was for me, I'll do suspension first (which I already did). Do the full FRPP track kit, Steeda LCA, and BMR CB005 and you'll have all the meat and potatoes!

Add a few "safety" mods (catch can, jacking rail) and a few drivability mods (steeda spring, BG trans fluid, exhaust)...and the rest is just gravy.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium

-Throttle body/CAI/tune

I went suspension first and I'm glad I did. I had to do an emergency lane change with the base GT suspension and it felt so floaty and disconnected. Right then I decided that suspension was the first priority.

I think you're good with either option and it just comes down to whether you want better handling or a little more kick in the pants when you press the go pedal.

BleedingTeal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Future: '19 Mustang GT, current: '12 VW Golf R
Not really gonna make most people's list, but I plan to use my return in part to buy a MY17 Mustang GT.
Sponsored