Sponsored

Aftermarket Stereo Install/Dash Kit for the S550 (soon)

Doug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Got everything wired up and running what a sound difference over the stock radio. My amp and speakers sounded like crap with the old system compared to the Pioneer 4200nex. Everything is working great except my rear defroster isn't working as well.

Did the reset work to get yours working Doug?
It made a huge difference for me too. The amp and speaker upgrades made the stock system sound like crap but the Pioneer head unit added made that previous configuration sound bad too. I curious to see how loud the head unit can go and output a clean signal.

I haven't taken the bezel off again yet, I'm planning to this weekend though. Also planning to find the max clean volume and set my gains. I also need to pull the Audio Control DQ61 that I was using before out.
Sponsored

Doug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
As far as the parking brake sensor they sell a bypass that you can connect to the head unit. Installing this makes the radio think you are in park all the time so you have full function of your stereo while driving. My wife's Tacoma has the wire connected to the parking brake and speed sensors and it sucks as the passenger has limited ability to change gps routes and utilize other apps within the stereo.

You basically connect it to the stereo's green wire, the remote wire, and ground. Then you just tape up the green wire from the Scosche unit.
I was thinking about this as I was installing it. I just found out that the Pioneer nav units have a hidden parking brake disable though. :D

Video how to for Pioneer nav units to disable parking brake use. I tested it and it works great, you might need to use the source off function versus turning the unit off. The only downside is it might reset if the HU loses power.

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
I went for it. I bought the metra kit from eBay for $399. I'm still deciding which head unit to get. I can't decide if I want to go the route of the Pioneer AppRadio 4, or go all out and get the top of the line AVIC-8200.

GilSilcox

Gil
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang
For me it was about $$. This winter I replaced my headers, exhaust, rear diff., switched my seats to leather, and installed a lift in the garage. It was easier to convince my wife on a $500 head unit versus a $1000 one. I figure with CarPlay I have the gps with my phone and there really weren't any additional features that I could justify an argument with the wife. If money wasn't an issue then I would have purchased the 8200 though.

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
For me it was about $$. This winter I replaced my headers, exhaust, rear diff., switched my seats to leather, and installed a lift in the garage. It was easier to convince my wife on a $500 head unit versus a $1000 one. I figure with CarPlay I have the gps with my phone and there really weren't any additional features that I could justify an argument with the wife. If money wasn't an issue then I would have purchased the 8200 though.
How do you like the CarPlay nav as you drive around? I have always hated Apple maps, as it usually lands me a couple blocks from where things actually are, or when I search for something nearby it pulls up results in France (not joking). I'll be moving to a new city and I'd like to have a decent nav display that I can reference while I drive around and learn my new surroundings.

Sponsored

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
Paid 450$ for the 4200nex on amazon...that is the deck to get the 7200.8200 just have nav but if you run car play or android auto you will have nav either way..its a no brainer for me

crashdb

Euro-reject
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Paid 450$ for the 4200nex on amazon...that is the deck to get the 7200.8200 just have nav but if you run car play or android auto you will have nav either way..its a no brainer for me
Pretty sure that's the one I picked out as well. Amazon had the best price. Crutchfield really needs to get their rear in gear with pricing stuff. It's not the first time I've found items from reputable sellers for half of what they're asking.

As soon as the dust clears on the kits, I'll probably pull the trigger. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about speakers/subwoofer. Some days I'm okay with the Shaker Pro, some days I really hate it.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Post some install pictures guys. I would like to see it from a farther distance. Up close it looks plain but farther away may be a different story.

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
My garage is semi-heated so once the temps in Chicago go above the teens, I should be able to get it done. I'm also doing a complete re-wire of my already installed speakers and amp to make the wiring as tidy as possible and run it through the molex connector in the door. I'll also be able to ditch my LOC since I'll have 3V pre-outs.

I'm so glad I'm getting the opportunity to work on the mustang again! I found myself getting bored and considering selling it and getting an Audi A4 with the 6-speed manual. This stereo install has saved me from future regrets!

crashdb

Euro-reject
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
My garage is semi-heated so once the temps in Chicago go above the teens, I should be able to get it done. I'm also doing a complete re-wire of my already installed speakers and amp to make the wiring as tidy as possible and run it through the molex connector in the door. I'll also be able to ditch my LOC since I'll have 3V pre-outs.

I'm so glad I'm getting the opportunity to work on the mustang again! I found myself getting bored and considering selling it and getting an Audi A4 with the 6-speed manual. This stereo install has saved me from future regrets!
Being a lover and owner of cars from the VAG family, believe me you're better off. :headbonk:Especially if you like turning your own wrenches.

Sponsored

GilSilcox

Gil
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang
As far as the sub, I have the Rockford Fosgate 12" powered sub and it's great. My 4 channel amp runs my other speakers so I was able to get a smaller amp. The 4200 (which I also got from Amazon) has the dedicated sub rca's so the install was easy. It definitely sounds better working off the Pioneer as I don't have the factory processing messing with it.

GilSilcox

Gil
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang
I'll try to post some pictures this weekend. The screens don't wow me but for me it's more about the sound quality than anything else. I'm still figuring out the options on the radio but so far I love it. Having the remote for the amps instead of the splicing off the wire in the trunk was a huge plus for me as well seeing I can adjust my audio settings without having to run the car

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

GilSilcox

Gil
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang
Before my amps remote was connected to a wire in the trunk that only powered when the car was running. So unless the engine was running I couldn't adjust my amp settings which was a pain. My garage is heated so I hate leaving the door open so I can run the car. Now the amps turn on with the head unit

SiRCaSTK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
Anyone here installing a new head unit with factory speakers?

I'd like to know what you think of the sound difference.

Thanks.
Sponsored