Sponsored

Aftermarket Stereo Install/Dash Kit for the S550 (soon)

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Youwill never get the quailty sound out of the factory head unit. At some point in audio there is a dimishing return on investment..i know guys who spend 25k on floor speakers are they better than Kefs yes but not 10x better lets be real. We are talking about a 35k car.
Thanks for the welcome, dude! (it's actually Hextall, not Hextail :D) I don't care if the car is $3500 or $35K or $350K. If you're going to call yourself a real car audio guy and bash other people's opinion on something don't back it up with poor spelling and a Best Buy list of "real car audio guy" gear.

Never did I say I would use a factory HU. But if I'm after SQ I wouldn't use a double din either.

For the same price as Sync3 from the factory I could build, install and tune a complete system utilizing used equipment that would have most people shaking their heads. Which is exactly why I'm in this particular forum so I can figure out what is going on with the factory junk and help guide people to better quality equipment without trying to monopolize upon it. That's my contribution.
Sponsored

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'd gladly show anyone here how to upgrade and fabricate anything audio wise (including harnesses and wiring) for free. I'm not here to sponsor a business or to make a profit on my hobby of 26 years.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Anyway.... back to the discussion; I think the issue most have with the kit is the HVAC controls. The question is why did they need to change them. That's what we need to figure out.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Here are a few pics. I tried to embed them but the were too big.

As noted, I stuck my Pioneer 8200NEX HU in as a reference.

I don't think the hump is too bad. Before ordering I considered that it might help with glare a bit.
Can you take a pic of the rear? Did it include any kind of wiring diagram? Can we see the "stereo interface" it's supposed to come with?

Gmacguyver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP
Anyway.... back to the discussion; I think the issue most have with the kit is the HVAC controls. The question is why did they need to change them. That's what we need to figure out.
I replied with this earlier. I guess no one reads long boring thread post lol. Not saying it's 100% true but.....

I used a Maestro RR on my install and attempted to keep the sync module installed into the car in order to keep my steering wheel controls and sync system. I loaded multiple different firmware's on the Maestro RR from different Ford vehicles hoping one of the different vehicle firmwares would match or be similar to the mustangs to give me some control or full control over the sync system and steering wheels controls. This ended up not working because CANBUS network on the 2015+ is different from other Ford vehicles. The A/C controls did not work on my aftermarket radio screen either. From my knowledge, currently the Maestro RR is the only aftermarket interface adapter that will allow A/C controls to work on compatible radios. But since there if no firmware available for 2015+ Fords, this feature will not work either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192074724060

The scosche and metra kits will either have to correct firmware or a separate module that will allow their kits to interface with the sync and HVAC system in order to keep all factory controls. If you look at the picture of the Scosche kit in the EBay link above, you notice they have a separate module which most likely either interfaces with the sync system, replaces the sync module, interfaces the HVAC controls to it owns display, or a combination of one these setups. This issue plus the space issues on the FCIM due certain radio controls being mounted on the FCIM circuit board is probably why the Scosche and Metra kits have a separate A/C control screen on their dash kits. I haven't physically seen the the aftermarket kit yet so we'll have to wait from [MENTION=18016]Doug[/MENTION] to do his install to verify how it all interfaces

I'm still happy with how my swap came out but I'm kicking myself in the head now for doing the premium bezel with aftermarket radio swap and not waiting for an aftermarket kit.

Sponsored

Doug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I'll be doing the install tomorrow but I took a few pictures of the box and back of the bezel and gave some descriptions of the connections based on the manual. See the updated gallery HERE

There's also a picture of the many cables.

Sync won't work with this kit, not that I will miss it. All of the SWC, camera, usb, etc are supposed to work according to the guy I spoke with in technical support.

An interesting comment on that album, lol.

Last edited:

Doug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost

The solid circuit board behind the bezel requires something new. I'm sure they're using the LCD touch screens so they can have a reasonably universal component that can go in various kits rather than replicating the stock controls in every vehicle.

redfire07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang
My understanding is you are going to have to do some minor trimming to make the double din sit flush. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
Any luck Doug? :cheers:

Doug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
The install went fine. The trimming was easy with a dremel. I've got some pics but it'll be tomorrow before I'll get them posted with some more details.

Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The install went fine. The trimming was easy with a dremel. I've got some pics but it'll be tomorrow before I'll get them posted with some more details.
what trimming did you have to do?.......

Doug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
what trimming did you have to do?.......
The biggest part is a plastic bracket behind LCD that holds the APIM(?). Basically its a box that has various harnesses running into it. The scosche kit has its own box that all of the cables attach to.

It has to be removed in order for enough depth for an aftermarket HU. A dremel and a plastic cutting wheel made it easy.

When I get the pics up I'll have some of the cuts, what was removed, and the locations that are supposed to be filed enough so the bezel fits. The HVAC touch screen needs a bit of extra clearance on it's bottom corners.

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
I have been reading the manual and see that you had to cut that peice out...are you running a 4ch amp? Did you run new wires or do a front to back swap?

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I replied with this earlier. I guess no one reads long boring thread post lol.

[MENTION=13606]Gmacguyver[/MENTION] I read it. Excellent information.

I have the Scoshe .pdf if anyone wants it. Some permanent modifications are required.

I'm going to dissect one of the standard bezels from eBay. I think you can use one of those if you're good with fab work. For my purpose, installing an iPad with an upcoming digital transport to aftermarket DSP, this will be fine. A solution for installing a double/single DIN into a Premium car is still going to take some work if you don't like the Scoshe or Metra HVAC controls. Unfortunately until someone addresses the problems that Gmacguyver presented Premium owners may not have a choice.

Doug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I have been reading the manual and see that you had to cut that peice out...are you running a 4ch amp? Did you run new wires or do a front to back swap?
I already had new components up front, no rears, a 3ch amp, and a 12" sub.All new wiring from Knu Konceptz went in when I installed the amp ect and I ran a set of their 4ch RCAs to my amp with the HU install along with my sat radio antenna. Power wire is running down the right side of the car, RCA down the left, speaker wires on the headliner so as to drop into the door jamb, where they are sleeved, and go through a plug in the door. The passive crossovers are next to the amp.
Sponsored