• Total voters

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
... Isn't it the exact same engine as the Vette? Not even tuned differently or anything? So why would it be underrated in the Camaro and properly rated in the Vette?

Although speaking of the Vette, I wonder if the fact that they have the same engine is actually a counter argument for Ford trying to keep the GT power significantly under the GT350.

As far as I know, the Camaro power hasn't cannibalized Corvette sales.
Supposedly the headers are different on the Camaro vs. the Vette because of the little extra space the Camaro has. I've seen posts somewhere on the Internet of Camaros actually dynoing slightly higher than a Vette because of this.

Regardless, the Stang will need a good bump in HP to compete.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Supposedly the headers are different on the Camaro vs. the Vette because of the little extra space the Camaro has. I've seen posts somewhere on the Internet of Camaros actually dynoing slightly higher than a Vette because of this.

Regardless, the Stang will need a good bump in HP to compete.
The Vette uses equal length port manifolds and the Camaro uses tubular tri Y stainless manifolds.

Vette:
http://mobile.web-cars.com/images/vette_m_img/2014-Corvette-LT1-C7-engine-Exhaust-Manifold-2_a.jpg

Camaro:
http://image.superchevy.com/f/123792296+w640+h640+q80+re0+cr1+st0/2016-camaro-tri-y-headers.jpg

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
If true, it will make more power from un shrouding of the intake valves.[/QUOTE

Well if Topnotch says its a 5.04 and the crank is the only carry over its a 93.0 bore, simple maths, and yes I agree about the unshrouding of the valves, they made a big deal of it with the bore increase on the GT350.

But there are other smaller advantages from this one change that add up to ie the 1.8 % capacity increase combined with the PTWA which is harder and smoother surface than the traditional iron liner, is suppose to reduce fiction as well, it will all add up.

Also Ford don't tend to give you major driveline and chassis changes in the one update (why would they) as such I'm guessing large drive train changes for 2018 and that drive train to go largely unchanged into S650

I just hope they give it a proper variable length inlet manifold like on the SRT 392

My guess 465 hp with a slightly healthier percentage change to the torque curve

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Considering they still have a lot of 2017 GTs to move, I don't expect Ford to officially announce the 2018 power numbers anytime soon. But that doesn't mean it won't leak out through some unofficial channel...

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Sure hope they do more than just match the Camaro, if the engine is as "all new" as they are saying.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think people are putting too much emphasis on the past practices of Ford being conservative on engine horsepower output of the Mustang GT V8 engines. There is a new attitude at Ford to build engines that excel in performance. I think the Poll results here are a little too conservative.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
480 - 500 HP for 2018 Ford Mustang GT

They are going to bump the GT350 to 550 or 600, the GT500 is going to get 755
and the Mustang GT is going to get between 480 - 500 HP. Remember I said it all here today 1/29/2016. Believe me Stang fans ! :cheers:

:ford:

Sponsored

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
I think people are putting too much emphasis on the past practices of Ford being conservative on engine horsepower output of the Mustang GT V8 engines. There is a new attitude at Ford to build engines that excel in performance. I think the Poll results here are a little too conservative.
Agreed, Ford have had a stock 500+ HP Crate N/A 5.0 Coyote for a couple of years, and in view of the reinvigorated culture at Ford, and the completely revised (new) 5.0 engine with dual fuel delivery & 12:1 Comp etc, a 10% increase over the Mk2 435Hp engine is not inconcieveable. My guess 475Hp.:D

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Agreed, Ford have had a stock 500+ HP Crate N/A 5.0 Coyote for a couple of years, and in view of the reinvigorated culture at Ford, and the completely revised (new) 5.0 engine with dual fuel delivery & 12:1 Comp etc, a 10% increase over the Mk2 435Hp engine is not inconcieveable. My guess 475Hp.:D
Based on what other manufacturers have gained with DI, 500hp/440lbft is conceivable. Though, a majority of this forum believes that Direct injection will have little to no impact on performance. Fortunately, for the analytically inclined, the real results suggest otherwise.

On average, naturally aspirated engines that have been updated with direct injection make 15% more power, and 10% more torque than their port injected counterparts. By counterpart, I mean engines that are, in all other respects, mechanically identical.

This [New Coyote] engine is highly upgraded, and by no means mechanically identical like the cases that the +15/10% average was based on. Displacement, Volumetric Efficiency, and RPM limits have all been raised.

But those are just facts. Numbers can leave a lot to interpretation. After all, Ford only allows major power updates on jewish holidays.:thumbsup:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I didn't vote because there were no options greater than 475.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I didn't vote because there were no options greater than 475.

If the 2018 comes with 500 HP, that would be the lipstick it needs to
get me over the hump. I am pretty sure the aftermarket will have plastic
surgery available
Sponsored