CARB legal boost

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Hey guys - trying to compile a list of CARB legal boost options - my state has adopted California emissions standards, and I want to keep it legal. I figure the Roush options are legal? I think I'm tilting towards a Procharger for a few reasons - any vendors who can confirm? I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet, but want to know what I can be dreaming about and still make it through emissions without an illegal tune that just tunes out the O2 sensors, etc.
Sponsored

HA8N3RO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange Mustang GT
Roush/Ford Performance Phase 1 is 50 state legal.

Whipple Stage 1 and 2 are 50 state legal.

Kenne Bell has 50 state legal kits.

Procharger Stage 1 and 2 are pending CARB.

Paxton/Vortech Pending CARB, not 100%

Turbos, no legal CARB cert, probably ever...

Others?

Living in Cali sucks sometimes.... Love the weather though!

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Thanks guys! How do you search for a CARB EO number?

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
[MENTION=24608]HA8N3RO[/MENTION] - thanks much!

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How does CARB work? What happens if you show up for an inspection with a "CARB pending" S/C in CA?

How about with a CARB approved S/C, but with mods such as headers, high flow cats and a custom tune ?

Sponsored

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending means almost nothing. you'd fail
the extra mods would cause you to fail too
the only smog related "parts" that would pass are carb legal/carb approved parts or OEM parts

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
How does CARB work? What happens if you show up for an inspection with a "CARB pending" S/C in CA?

How about with a CARB approved S/C, but with mods such as headers, high flow cats and a custom tune ?
CARB is the exact system and configuration of that CARB #, manufacturer tune, and stock headers and cats.

In other words, go Whipple (because their Stage 2 is the best CARB setup your will get) or find a smog guy. I have a smog guy but still went Whipple!

However, it should be noted... In California we have 6 years until we need to smog so... Who cares.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Roush and Whipple. Let me know. We'll get you dialed in

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0

CARB pending is widely used in the wrong manner. Legally that means you have passed all test, CARB has released the vehicle and you are awaiting a final signature on the EO. That is what is legal. But, sign off takes 30-60 days and many advertise CARB pending for much longer, which would be extremely inaccurate.

Many use "pending" as a statement that they are testing, they haven't passed and have no time frame of passing. This is a dangerous game but many play it.

If you have to get a test, "pending" means nothing. You will fail and in some cases have to go to a referee.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... If you have to get a test, "pending" means nothing. You will fail and in some cases have to go to a referee.
Is this is a visual inspection or are they connecting to ODB2 and checking engine parameters or analyzing exhaust gases?
Sponsored