Sponsored

Ecoboost...tuned power numbers and long term needs/problems?

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert
What I look at is power, price and potential.

The GT starts with far more power for a lower/similar price and I can add a SC immediately after buying the car if I want to (not that it'll be in the budget day 1 anyway). Trade off is I'll get a few months of warranty at best or no warranty at all. But after years of researching these cars, the engines seem solid and I can do most everything else myself so the only consistent concern I see is that wonderful MT-82. Seems to be the Achilles heel of the car.

What cause me to start this thread is that I figured if I could buy an Ecoboost new and end up with essentially the same power/capability of a GT but in the current (IRS) generation...WIN! But it doesn't seem to be the case. That's fine. But I had to at least check on it.

Still, I might test drive an EB just for kicks. Already tested the GT.

Thanks

-Emt1581
If you test driving a used EB and it seems like its low on power and doggy, dealer or someone along the way probably put regular gas in it, they are not tuned for optimal power with that.

I personally would only go with a S550 due to the IRS.

I was in similar shoes last year, my son got his license in August and was slow to open up his wings to the new freedom he didn't know he had. Well by Sept we needed a 3rd car. I was saving for a used EB but instead we went with a very cheap 2 yr lease on another car to deal with the situation.

Here in FL there's an outfit with a bunch of locations called OffleaseOnly.com that can offer some good deals. Several people I know bought from them. They are truthful and state if the car has been in a previous accident on the car's webpage. Maybe there's a flight and a road trip back in your future!
Sponsored

16EcomustangDIB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Camaro SS1LE
Check out Washington DC craigslist, there's a 15 gt w/pp and few bolt ons for 25k. Go get on it!

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Unleashed stated 350 whp to be the max without upgrading internals.To be honest, seeing engine s blow from their 93 tune during cold temps leads me to believe it's less.
I thought 350 whp was the stock limit on 93 octane. I am pretty sure that e30 and e85 both offer GT + level HP numbers.

WhiteEc0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I like my eco but i miss my GT. It handles great power is good but, I miss the 5.0 you can't beat the sound of a good exhaust with a xpipe. Gas mileage is good if you stay out of boost. Had planed to go big turbo but I'm gonna save that money for my next mustang. If the GT is what you really want go for it never settle!

Tommy556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I4
My opinion is that you can't afford a GT, sorry.

Even a base Eco will be pushing it with your budget. If your engine pops for whatever reason and you are out of warranty with a tune, you should be able to repair it out of your pocket without struggling.

I personally would never buy a car that I can't pay without financing. If you absolutely need a car then buy something cheap.

Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Eco's in North East go for about 24-28k depending on the package.

The base eco will run you about 350 after tax a month after putting 4-5k down.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
If you can live without the V8 rumble and want a better handling car the EB/PP Auto is a great car for the money. It will hold its own in stock form and with a FP tune it is as fast as a GT with better handling. I am satisfied with the stock performance numbers and have no reason to add a tune. I added a drop in air filter and going to add a catback to gain a few extra ponies and better exhaust note.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/perfor...mustang-gt-versus-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost/

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
with a FP tune it is as fast as a GT with better handling.
Don't mislead someone trying to make a decision. This is completely false, it's not even close. And I'm talking from experience. FRPP tune should be a nice bump but it's not that aggressive and it shouldn't be for safety

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't mislead someone trying to make a decision. This is completely false, it's not even close. And I'm talking from experience. FRPP tune should be a nice bump but it's not that aggressive and it shouldn't be for safety
Just ignore Swag, he got pressured into selling his EB for a GT and regrets it.

What is misleading exactly? The EB/PP handles better than a GT, and the Auto runs 5.2 0-60, with a FP tune it should run sub 5 seconds(guessing) with a CAI and catback exhsust. The GT is 4.5/4.7, so that is VERY close to a GT, completely false and misleading is what you said. Some of us don't race our cars and obey traffic laws so 0-130 doesn't matter.

Last edited:

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
0-60 it might be close. Massive torque advantage down in the lower RPM range.

Sponsored

Tommy556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I4
Wait, with an Intercooler reliability will go down? That doesnt make any sense at all. lol

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From a stop, close but still no cigar. From a roll, not even close. With more mods piled on(IC, DP, etc.) yes but reliability will go down (more power, less reliability).

Speaking from the experience of upgrading a whole bunch of expensive parts and not having peace of mind (warranty) or satisfaction, I recommend that the OP go with a GT because it sounds like it's what he wants.

This is my last post in this thread because @Maggneto is still nursing a sore anus from my trade. I find it funny that a guy with no mods is advising ppl to do it. A CAI and catback does next to nothing btw.
Someone needs a hug today...

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I thought 350 whp was the stock limit on 93 octane. I am pretty sure that e30 and e85 both offer GT + level HP numbers.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71334&page=4

Livernois states 350 whp in which the internals could handle themselves. Of course, they are also pushing their line of beefed up engines, but it sounds more than reasonable that these engines would be tested after 25% increase in power.
Sponsored