Sponsored

2016 Mustang GT vs 2016 WRX STI

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
After seeing countless videos of simple bolt-on and e85 FA20s (new WRX motor) making near the 400whp range, i was impressed. I would for sure daily one if i could afford that plus my S550. They're stout little motors, much improved over the ancient EJ series that still finds itself in the STi.
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
After seeing countless videos of simple bolt-on and e85 FA20s (new WRX motor) making near the 400whp range, i was impressed. I would for sure daily one if i could afford that plus my S550. They're stout little motors, much improved over the ancient EJ series that still finds itself in the STi.
I was pushing close to 350whp on my 15' WRX with stock block/turbo with bolt ons and 50/50 water-meth. I could have pushed for more but the FA is known to bend rods if you push too much torque on the low end. We hit 400wtq when we started tuning it. FA > EJ, no questions asked. I wouldn't consider an STi until it get's a refresh on it's drivetrain.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Not a Subaru fanboy, but this is hilarious.

[ame]

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The scooby didn't do anything in that video other than spin the tires and then the Ford just drove itself right out. Pretty dumb setup video.

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
Every single 2.5 subaru engine is garbage. It will blow up. Your boss was an idiot. I have owned corvettes, evos, stis, wrx's every single Sr20 car under the sun and now this mustang gt and Im telling you for the price you can NOT find another car with the performance of a S550

Sponsored

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Every single 2.5 subaru engine is garbage. It will blow up. Your boss was an idiot. I have owned corvettes, evos, stis, wrx's every single Sr20 car under the sun and now this mustang gt and Im telling you for the price you can NOT find another car with the performance of a S550

Any engine will blow if you put too much through it...I personally put 80k on my Stg 2 EJ and never once had an issue and I dogged the crap out of it. They are very good cars if you treat them right and amazing in bad weather hands down. My Mustang is faster no doubt and I love it but never ever had any issues with my subie and I would take a wrx in the snow over anything.

GuardDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gaurd GTPP
Kinjirra you are a rare case. I've had plenty of friends with stis and 1 of them has lasted. One of my friends bought a new 08 and 15 that were completely stock and both blew their motors around 40k! It took him 3 blown up Subarus to move on. I get it the fan boy phenomenon is real but if you really make an effort you can over come it!

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
LOL, they're fun cars, I had 3, but the odds of things going south on a Modded EJ are inarguable.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Subaru STI/WRX are junk. Cheap to lease & punk out, but not meant for long-term ownership. The company uses a 15 year old engine & can not compete with American product.

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
the 2.5 is a flawed engine. it's pure shit. the pistons are cast, the rings shatter, gravity kills the fucking motor, and it has horrible ve, that's volumetric effeciency which doesn't exist on a subaru lol. they are un reliabke and slow and they rust it is a lure shit garbage car, and also they blow head gaskets. there is no. "well all engines" blah blah bull shit. I have tuned over 100 wrxs and stis and I have seen over 20 stis blow up bone stock before any mods. the cars are pure and utter shit.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'd buy a WRX for street use only, in large part because there aren't very many reasonably powerful 4-door sedans these days equipped with manual transmissions at affordable prices.

It'd nominally be her DD, and see most of our trip duty. There would be no plans to (HPDE) track it and none whatsoever to drag race it or get caught up in street challenges, so there's no real need for an STi level of power.

FWIW, I'd perhaps be more concerned about the center differential than the engine.

Norm

Last edited:

Supa LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The FA will be going into the STi in the near future and that should kill off the ej series finally. That would be the only moment in time i would consider owning an STi again. The Fa is stout, like i stated above and can easily take 400/400 on stock motor with some e85.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The FA will be going into the STi in the near future and that should kill off the ej series finally. That would be the only moment in time i would consider owning an STi again. The Fa is stout, like i stated above and can easily take 400/400 on stock motor with some e85.
Huh, still only 400? Not very sporty IMO.

Supa LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huh, still only 400? Not very sporty IMO.
Simple bolt-ons and e85? That's wheel horespower and torque, btw. Considering the WRX dynos about 230whp stock lol.
Sponsored