Sponsored

Ecoboost...tuned power numbers and long term needs/problems?

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Get the GT. A used 15' can be had for as low as $25k if you look around. You might also want to consider a leftover base 16'. Talk them down to 28-30k and take advantage of 0% financing. That's what I did to get into my GT. If that's pushing your budget a 11-14' GT can be had for way less.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Get the GT. A used 15' can be had for as low as $25k if you look around. You might also want to consider a leftover base 16'. Talk them down to 28-30k and take advantage of 0% financing. That's what I did to get into my GT. If that's pushing your budget a 11-14' GT can be had for way less.
$20k is the budget. Makes the payments barely within reason at $250-$300/mo for 3 years. And I can easily pay it off in 1-2. Going higher means I'd have to save up longer and unfortunately we NEED a third car now...going on over a year. Then when I break down, I have to rush to fix whatever car it is or pay 10-20 times the price and have a dealer/mechanic do it (depending on the repair).

Plus I'm just tired of waiting. Been waiting for years and more recently close to 2 years trying to figure out a way to afford an S550 GT. Not gonna happen. Just reality at this point. Doesn't mean I can have a very nice 13-14 GT. Very similar power just not as many bells/whistles (i.e. IRS) as the S550.

I'm perfectly fine with that.

Thanks

-Emt1581

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
$20k is the budget. Makes the payments barely within reason at $250-$300/mo for 3 years. And I can easily pay it off in 1-2.
But why not take advantage of Ford's 2.9% 60 month financing?

Also you can easily get a used 2015 Mustang GT for $26K. There's one listed for $26.5k right in Lancaster ;)

You should also consider resale value. GT holds its value better

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
One plus side to buying a GT is that you can avoid the question from everyone that you talk to "Why didn't you just buy a GT?"

Good Luck...

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
$20k is the budget. Makes the payments barely within reason at $250-$300/mo for 3 years. And I can easily pay it off in 1-2. Going higher means I'd have to save up longer and unfortunately we NEED a third car now...going on over a year. Then when I break down, I have to rush to fix whatever car it is or pay 10-20 times the price and have a dealer/mechanic do it (depending on the repair).

Plus I'm just tired of waiting. Been waiting for years and more recently close to 2 years trying to figure out a way to afford an S550 GT. Not gonna happen. Just reality at this point. Doesn't mean I can have a very nice 13-14 GT. Very similar power just not as many bells/whistles (i.e. IRS) as the S550.

I'm perfectly fine with that.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Wait correct me if I'm wrong but you said that 20K is you budget and you think you can get away with $250-$300 a month for 3 years? Maybe if you are leasing. If buying a 0% financing take the $300 X 12 Months x 3 years and that makes your budget $10,800. if you want your payment at 300 a month and your budget it 20K then it will take you 5.5 years ($20,000/$300 per month / 12 months). If you want to pay it off for 3 years then your monthly payment will be around $555 per month with 0% financing ($20,000 / 12 Months / 3 Years).

But going back to the original question all you need to almost make as much power as a GT is a good intercooler, upgraded spark plugs, Tuner (Cobb AP), A very good tuner like Adam at Tune+.
If you look at the Stage 2 package from cobb and doing the backwards math to show what the power is at the crank it goes from 320 Wheel Hp and 375 Torque to 389 HP at the cranks and 401 Torque to the crank.
**I've done this buy taking what there stock dyno runs are and comparing the Ford stated Hp / torque to the wheel hp / torque found. Then apply this math to what the stage 2 wheel HP / Torque is shown on their website. Then this should be increased with a good tuner like Adam.
Also a catch can would also be good.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Your first statement negates everything you said after. If you've always wanted one, don't get anything else. If you wait until the 2018s drop, the price of GTs will be a lot lower.

Personally, I never considered the v8. Don't like v8s. I've owned a few 4 cylinder turbo cars and like the upgrade potential, power delivery, and economy combo. Usually the people who have owned v8s all their life won't like the sound of the ecoboost. Probably because it's something different than what they are used to. And we all know people don't like change. But I like the sound of my ecoboost.

Don't be fooled though, the ecoboom occurred on 2015s. 2016 and newer are fine and will hold up. Also, you can easily surpass GT power levels cheaper than buying a GT. But it's all about what you want man. Don't fool yourself into believing you want an Ecoboost if your heart is set on a GT. Both good cars, but I'd say different people like different models.

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Another way to make 5.0 type power is with the intercooler, spark plugs, and e30 tune from Tune+ if you have e85 available in your area. If I had to choose between a 13-14 GT or a 2015+ EB, I would hands down always choose the 2015 EB. The interior especially on the premium is leaps and bounds better, the IRS, not to mention the 2015 looks like an actual sports car and not a floating boat.

I know many people hate on the EB, but I absolutely love mine and couldnt be happier with it. 90% of my driving is just my daily commute to work and the gym, so even if I did have the extra HP from the GT I really wouldnt use it all that often anyway. The EB has plenty of power to punch it and fly past people on the highway.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Forgive all the short answers. Many of us have been on the forum for a long time and seen the buyers regret before. You showed all the signs before you even purchased so they're just trying to help.

IMO the EcoBoost is great if it will never see track time and you can live with the sound. It gets better gas mileage, is very spirited, quick off the line and handling is exceptional with the lighter front end.

BUT if you really want all that power it only makes sense to start with the GT. The sound is a HUGE factor too, it's a major part of the driving experience. If that's part of what your after, don't compromise. You hear it, feel it and it adds to the adrenaline.

In the end, you have to decide what YOU really want out of the car. From what you said you really want the GT and you will regret it if you get the EB. Personally I'm coming from a GT and love my decision on the EB (except for the sound). It's a great car to drive.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait correct me if I'm wrong but you said that 20K is you budget and you think you can get away with $250-$300 a month for 3 years? Maybe if you are leasing. If buying a 0% financing take the $300 X 12 Months x 3 years and that makes your budget $10,800. if you want your payment at 300 a month and your budget it 20K then it will take you 5.5 years ($20,000/$300 per month / 12 months). If you want to pay it off for 3 years then your monthly payment will be around $555 per month with 0% financing ($20,000 / 12 Months / 3 Years).
I'll be putting $10k down. That's how I'm getting the $250-$300/mo x 36mos. :thumbsup:

At this point I'm still thinking the GT is the way to go. However, whatever I decide, I'll shop for a gray one, fly/drive to test it, and if it's a good deal...drive it home. Real shopping won't start until June.

Having a heck of a time finding them with the performance pack for under $20k. Even with a ton of miles (which I wouldn't buy) I'm still not seeing them for sale. I suppose I can always pay for the Brembo's and nice shocks and throw them on myself. No clue what that would cost but with the aftermarket these cars have I have no doubt it's possible.

Thanks

-Emt1581

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another way to make 5.0 type power is with the intercooler, spark plugs, and e30 tune from Tune+ if you have e85 available in your area. If I had to choose between a 13-14 GT or a 2015+ EB, I would hands down always choose the 2015 EB. The interior especially on the premium is leaps and bounds better, the IRS, not to mention the 2015 looks like an actual sports car and not a floating boat.

I know many people hate on the EB, but I absolutely love mine and couldnt be happier with it. 90% of my driving is just my daily commute to work and the gym, so even if I did have the extra HP from the GT I really wouldnt use it all that often anyway. The EB has plenty of power to punch it and fly past people on the highway.
What I look at is power, price and potential.

The GT starts with far more power for a lower/similar price and I can add a SC immediately after buying the car if I want to (not that it'll be in the budget day 1 anyway). Trade off is I'll get a few months of warranty at best or no warranty at all. But after years of researching these cars, the engines seem solid and I can do most everything else myself so the only consistent concern I see is that wonderful MT-82. Seems to be the Achilles heel of the car.

What cause me to start this thread is that I figured if I could buy an Ecoboost new and end up with essentially the same power/capability of a GT but in the current (IRS) generation...WIN! But it doesn't seem to be the case. That's fine. But I had to at least check on it.

Still, I might test drive an EB just for kicks. Already tested the GT.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
I'll be putting $10k down. That's how I'm getting the $250-$300/mo x 36mos. :thumbsup:

At this point I'm still thinking the GT is the way to go. However, whatever I decide, I'll shop for a gray one, fly/drive to test it, and if it's a good deal...drive it home. Real shopping won't start until June.

Having a heck of a time finding them with the performance pack for under $20k. Even with a ton of miles (which I wouldn't buy) I'm still not seeing them for sale. I suppose I can always pay for the Brembo's and nice shocks and throw them on myself. No clue what that would cost but with the aftermarket these cars have I have no doubt it's possible.

Thanks

-Emt1581
It all makes Sense now! :D

I would def just try and give the EB a test drive and see how you like it. Like jbailer said if you don't see track time and are daily driving it the power might still be there for you (Plus you can also do a FP tune and keep the warranty and get as much torque as a GT which give you the same amount of down low shove.

I'm trying to do auto crossing this year in my ecoboost and I think it will be perfect for it!

Go with what you love because the last thing you want to do is regret your purchase. If you want the more power and that sound then there is no replacement for displacement!

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I'll throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth.

First, if it's the sound and rumble of the GT that interests you, then no matter what you do to the EB you won't be happy. If it's a daily driver and you want to have some fun, you might be happy with an EB Premium. I have one with the Ford ProTune and it's a lot of fun to drive.

Personally, i would either go EB or wait until you can afford the 2015+ GT that you really want. I would definitely not go for a 13-14 GT. Unless you're just going in a straight line, you have no idea how much difference the IRS makes regarding how it drives.

I think most of your questions have already been answered. You also asked about other costs with the EB. From my experience, they're minimal. I'm coming up on 30,000 miles and all i've done so far is oil changes and the Tune (cost me a total of $600).

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The Ecoboost Mustang is a fine car. But it's not a GT. It doesn't drive like a GT. It doesn't sound like a GT. You can't make it like a GT.

If you're after that big snarling sound and an engine that pulls to redline (without a tune), the EB isn't for you.

What the EB is, is a fun, quick car that with a little work can sound amazing and put down enough power to keep up with a stock or lightly modded GT - all on the stock turbo. Add a bigger turbo and you'll be able to run with full bolt on GT's. Add a really big turbo and you can run with blown GT's.

It all comes down to what you want. You pretty clearly want a GT, though. There's nothing wrong with that, just like there's nothing wrong with buying an EB and enjoying it for what it is.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Unleashed stated 350 whp to be the max without upgrading internals.To be honest, seeing engine s blow from their 93 tune during cold temps leads me to believe it's less.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Unleashed has summer and winter tunes. If you don't switch and temps drop.....boom...

I believe LMS also says 350whp is the max. But, we have members here pushing far above that on stock blocks without issues. A lot of it comes down to fuel - the more octane the better - and your tuner.

You aren't going to hit 350whp on 93 octane anyway. You'll need E30 for that. As far as I know, at least. Maybe more knowledgable people can chime in. I'm still new to turbo 4's. Most of what I think I know is what I've gleaned from forums.
Sponsored