Sponsored

Brand-new Mustang and water not beading on windows??

MisterZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT coupe, race red, 6AT
This is really frustrating. I've had my Mustang for a few weeks now, and the water is not beading on the windscreen or rear window at all - large blotches remain as if it were a 20 year old car left parked outside it's whole life. My other car is a 7 year old Hyundai, and the water still beads despite me having done nothing special besides wash it normally it's whole life.

See photos here, both windows had 1/4 bucket of water poured on them.

Is this due to some kind of cheap glass that Ford uses? Or maybe Hyundai glass comes with some kind of water repellent coating from the factory? :shrug:
stangwindow.jpg
hyunwindow.jpg
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
WTF r u cleaning it with..?

At least poor windex all over it and wipe is clean several times. If not invest into some better glass cleaner, then apply RainX.

OP
OP

MisterZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WTF r u cleaning it with..?

At least poor windex all over it and wipe is clean several times. If not invest into some better glass cleaner, then apply RainX.
Dude, I use the same thing on both cars - Meguiars car wash liquid most of the time. Sometimes I just use plain water on my Hyundai. If I am doing the same thing on both cars, the end result should be the same.

Besides, the Mustang's glass was like this before I even cleaned it once (the very day I took delivery, which was a rainy day).

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Invest in getting your car detailed by a professional. They will decontaminate the bodywork and glass, polish the paintwork to removing any marring, light scratches and holograms, then apply a protective coating such as Gtechniq to the paint and glass, which not only protects it, but adds a deep, deep shine.

It will make the car gleam better than new, and will make it easier to keep clean going forwards.

You car will have been sat in all sorts of harsh environments prior to and during shipping. Railway sidings (awaiting trains to the port) are terrible for getting contaminates on your car.

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I recommend using a clay bar on the entire car, windows included, followed by a sealant and wax on the body then Rain X as others have mentioned for the windows.

I rarely use my windshield wipers, anything over 40 mph and the water just rolls up and off the windshield

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
It's only your car. There must be a defect or your car got the reject glass that's been going around. I heard about it on the interweb. No one else has this major problem. You should take it to the dealer for warranty repair.

Cheap-ass Ford. ;)

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Rain X for the win. Apply 2-3 times a year.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Is this a real thing? I didn't know water was supposed to bead on the glass at all times. I've just always waxed it or used Rain-X.

Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Water will bead on clean, undamaged glass naturally. But it needs to be very clean. I think if OP runs a clay bar on the glass he will have a huge improvement. Using rain x on top of that will get it super clean (rainx is really just alcohol that cleans). Dont wax the windows. In my experience it will just smear when you use the wipers, and then build up on the blade.

...Or its cheap ass glass

OP
OP

MisterZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the advice guys. I am very reluctant to use a clay bar on my windscreen as I am concerned about scratching it.

I have a British product called Autoglym glass polish - would this be of any use? I've used it on my other cars in the past and it makes the glass nice and smooth but after a while the effect seems to wear off.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Get some rain x.
Glass is not supposed to bead unless treated. Just like paint but most new cars have some kind of wax/polish done at the factory.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I use a magic eraser on the glass when I wash it, using glass cleaner as a lube.
Clay bar works as well, and no scratching worries

[ame]

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I cant believe what some people complain about.
Sponsored