Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
There is a thread for that already and that is where I asked all my questions as they related to the MFT to Sync 3 upgrade. My upgrade/update is complete and I am not littering this thread with questions about upgrading anything (I have asked in the past but that was simply about the USB hub which is the same Hub y'all are discussing in here, the install is just different). This is the thread where people with the correct hardware discuss the AA/Carplay update and related topics, is it not? I have 3 vehicles with Sync 3; A 2015 Mustang, a 2016 Escape, and a 2017 Explorer. I am in this thread for that reason alone but if someone asks a question in which I have a potential answer or experience then I will answer it. I hear what y'all are saying but just skip over the questions you don't want to answer. I really don't think it is confusing anyone personally but I will no longer answer any questions about a 2015 and will instead post a link to the MFT to Sync3 thread where they won't likely get answers because everyone is over here now. Ok? Ok
That's great...

image1_1_zpsdcn7tvmf.jpg

This is not the same hardware.

It's not that I don't want to help him. However, in a thread specific to 2016 hardware he will get a lot of incorrect information from somebody who doesn't realize there is a difference between the hardware in the model years.

This is a specific problem, and he will get better help with a new thread about that specific problem (or an old one that covered the same topic).
Sponsored

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible

Madlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Is the USB interface simply the same OE part used in 2017 models, or is it a unique part which includes specific wiring or circuitry required to bring 2016 equipment to 2017 functionality?

The reason I ask goes beyond Mustang. I also have a 2016 Transit with SYNC 3 which presumably ought to be similarly upgradable. It would be wonderful to know if the hardware portion of upgrading the Transit, or any other 2016 Ford model with SYNC 3, requires simply ordering the 2017 MY module. Hopefully Ford based the wiring across its models on a common design.

I'd be grateful for any information from someone who is well-versed.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Is the USB interface simply the same OE part used in 2017 models, or is it a unique part which includes specific wiring or circuitry required to bring 2016 equipment to 2017 functionality?

The reason I ask goes beyond Mustang. I also have a 2016 Transit with SYNC 3 which presumably ought to be similarly upgradable. It would be wonderful to know if the hardware portion of upgrading the Transit, or any other 2016 Ford model with SYNC 3, requires simply ordering the 2017 MY module. Hopefully Ford based the wiring across its models on a common design.

I'd be grateful for any information from someone who is well-versed.
I still cannot confirm that the 2017 part works, but I do have a volunteer to have it installed once she can drive to this town. The 2017 part is physically similar.

The single port part being used for Mustangs in this thread came from a 2017 Focus I believe. So it seems parts do have some ability to cross model lines. I remember seeing something in the f150 forum about a smaller faceplate on a dual hub. Does the transit have the dual port module or the single?

Madlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I still cannot confirm that the 2017 part works, but I do have a volunteer to have it installed once she can drive to this town. The 2017 part is physically similar.

The single port part being used for Mustangs in this thread came from a 2017 Focus I believe. So it seems parts do have some ability to cross model lines. I remember seeing something in the f150 forum about a smaller faceplate on a dual hub. Does the transit have the dual port module or the single?
I probably could test this theory myself with a 16 and 17 in my own garage, but both are wrapper cars at least at this point and I'd rather not go messing with their software or inadvertently breaking off bits of hardware if someone else has paved the way. That the known working replacement module thus far comes from a Focus makes a lot of sense.

What's odd is that I can find precious little data about that module even through Ford's own parts diagrams for 2017 Focus. But I digress.

I suspect Transit's hardware very likely is far more closely related to Focus than Mustang given Transit and Focus being of European origin. Transit has two separate single USB sockets - one near the cup holders and one beneath the switchgear on the center console.

The bottom one seems to be a rectangular insert with an illuminated bezel around the USB port itself as in the picture. I realize it sits proud of the trim where it mounts in Mustang but I wonder if it would mount flush into the lower socket. I suspect the illuminated one is what would require swapping out. (see picture)

You wouldn't happen to have measured the replacement module's dimensions by any chance...?

Thanks!
IMG_6641.JPG

Sponsored

MustangPapi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
When I download the ford official non navigation file, I am seeing two files labeled syncmyride/gb5, one file of syncmyride/HB5 and three files of syncmyride/HN1. Can anybody explain this to me? Thanks

kingofsting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Shadow Black / Redline Interior
I have both a 2016 Mustang GT and a 2016 Lincoln MKC

GJ7Z-19A387-B (2 ports, white backlight) works with the MKC after upgrading to version 2.2 through my local dealership

GR3Z-19A387-B (1 port, blue backlight) does not connect to or initiate CarPlay after updating software via Ford link on page 1 of this topic. Android Auto preferences are in the General menu, but I cannot access CarPlay at all in my Mustang

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Just went through the install process on my 16 GT Premium with Nav. I used the "Official Ford Link (leszek): http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/owner-pack...381-LG.zip " link. Used a 4 GB flash drive with FAT32 formatting containing the autoinstall.lst and SyncMyRide folder. It actually took 27 minutes using the USB on the console instead of the 15 minutes others had claimed (I timed it for funzies, and because I was sitting in the car with nothing else to do). Said it was successful and would be applied next time turning on the car. Turned it off and back on again, and Nav wouldn't load back up. Waiting about 10 minutes. Turned the car off and back on again and Nav loaded instantly. This was kind of weird. The screen also seems to stay black longer than it previously did before the patch.

Many videos said phone blue tooth connections and other setting would be cleared but that was not the case. It still recognized everything.

I tried connecting my Galaxy S6 Edge up via Android Auto and suddenly my phone would no longer stay connected. It would gain it, then lose it over and over again in about half second cycles. Tried the other USB port and it did the same thing. The car touch screen would show Android Auto showing up and so would my phone; then instantly close and loop doing it all over again. I thought it may be a crappy USB cable so I tried a few others, but did not change the issue. The ports and cable I use always worked fine in the past with the car.

Not really sure where to go from here. May look into seeing if there is any way to remove it, so any issues I can let a dealer handle when the official one is released. It seems kind of glitchy as of right now, which I guess is to be expected not being an official release. I may try my fiance's S7 in the morning and see if that phone has the same issue with Android Auto.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just went through the install process on my 16 GT Premium with Nav. I used the "Official Ford Link (leszek): http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/owner-pack...381-LG.zip " link. Used a 4 GB flash drive with FAT32 formatting containing the autoinstall.lst and SyncMyRide folder. It actually took 27 minutes using the USB on the console instead of the 15 minutes others had claimed (I timed it for funzies, and because I was sitting in the car with nothing else to do). Said it was successful and would be applied next time turning on the car. Turned it off and back on again, and Nav wouldn't load back up. Waiting about 10 minutes. Turned the car off and back on again and Nav loaded instantly. This was kind of weird. The screen also seems to stay black longer than it previously did before the patch.

Many videos said phone blue tooth connections and other setting would be cleared but that was not the case. It still recognized everything.

I tried connecting my Galaxy S6 Edge up via Android Auto and suddenly my phone would no longer stay connected. It would gain it, then lose it over and over again in about half second cycles. Tried the other USB port and it did the same thing. The car touch screen would show Android Auto showing up and so would my phone; then instantly close and loop doing it all over again. I thought it may be a crappy USB cable so I tried a few others, but did not change the issue. The ports and cable I use always worked fine in the past with the car.

Not really sure where to go from here. May look into seeing if there is any way to remove it, so any issues I can let a dealer handle when the official one is released. It seems kind of glitchy as of right now, which I guess is to be expected not being an official release. I may try my fiance's S7 in the morning and see if that phone has the same issue with Android Auto.
hey boddie thanks for the feedback, most of us with nav did experience the nav stuck on loading loop the first startup, then it came back after the second time.

the issue with android auto could be caused by bad usb cable and phone related software issue most of us 99% had no issues running android auto the first time, [MENTION=15716]m.a.s.e[/MENTION] was the first one to report successful attempt at android auto:thumbsup:

Madlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I have both a 2016 Mustang GT and a 2016 Lincoln MKC

GJ7Z-19A387-B (2 ports, white backlight) works with the MKC after upgrading to version 2.2 through my local dealership

GR3Z-19A387-B (1 port, blue backlight) does not connect to or initiate CarPlay after updating software via Ford link on page 1 of this topic. Android Auto preferences are in the General menu, but I cannot access CarPlay at all in my Mustang
Great info. Thanks!

Although the poster above mentioned that the HU5Z-19A387-A supposedly was intended for a Focus, the 2017 Focus parts list makes no mention of it. Whether or not the parts system's data is current or correct, 2017 Focus references another part entirely and HUZ5 actually is the factory replacement module for 2017 Transit! I'm still chuckling to myself. I have no idea whether the MKC port is compatible with Mustang or any other single-port socket, but it may be worth ordering one just for cacas and yuks.

I'm in the process of crossreferencing what FordParts.com shows for each of the 206/17 models discussed. It's very odd how differently they're listed among each vehicle, some as "module", others as "interface" and some as "interface module" among others.

In reality, the actual core part number is 14K152 which is translated to the generic Motorcraft 19A387.

1FTRS4XG4GKA45503

FOCUS

2016 (Module)

14K152 = GC3Z-19A387-B - 56.47 - Sync III With Navigation (2015-2017 168 - Applications - Transit/Explorer)

2017 (Module)

14K152 = GC3Z-19A387-B - 56.47 - Sync III With Navigation (2015-2017 168 - Applications - Transit/Explorer)

Transit

2016 (Mobile Phone Tranceiver)

DL3Z-19A387-B - 76.01 - Sync II With Navigation (2014-2017 - 526 Applications - F150-550, Transit, Mark LT)
GR3Z-19A387-A - 54.68 - Sync III With Navigation (2016 - 100 Applications - Transit)
GR3Z-19A387-B - 55.25 - Sync III With Navigation (2016 - 100 Applications - Transit)

2017 (Mobile Phone Transceiver)

DL3Z-19A387-B - 76.01 - Sync II With Navigation (2014-2017 - 526 Applications)
HU5Z-19A387-A - 54.46 - Sync III With Navigation (2017 - 119 Applications)

Mustang

2016 (Module)

GC3Z-19A387-B - 56.47 - Human Machine Interface 3 Sync II (2015-2017 168 - Applications - Transit/Explorer)
GC3Z-19A387-D - 56.47 - Human Machine Interface 3 Sync II (2016-2017 101 - Applications - Escape/F150)
GR3Z-19A387-A - 54.68 - Human Machine Interface 3 Sync III (2016 - 100 Applications - Transit)
GR3Z-19A387-B - 55.25 - Human Machine Interface 3 Sync III (2016 - 100 Applications - Transit)

2017 (Module)

GC3Z-19A387-D - 56.47 - Human Machine Interface 3 Sync II (2015-2017 168 - Applications - Transit/Explorer)
GR3Z-19A387-B - 55.25 - Human Machine Interface 3 Sync III (2016-2017 101 - Applications - Escape/F150)

Lincoln MKC (Mobile Phone Transceiver)

GJ7Z-19A387-B - 48.52 - Human Machine Interface 3 Sync III (2016-2017 34 - Applications - MKC/Navigator)

Last edited:

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
That's the listed 2017 part. The same one i haven't been able to try yet. I have everything with me today. I'll try swapping them out at lunch.

paulrkiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT premium
Installed the usb hug part number that's in post 1 (HU5Z-19A387-A) and carplay works like a champ.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
anyone having connection issues with AA, the first step you should try is a different cable, AA is very very finicky on cable choice

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
hey boddie thanks for the feedback, most of us with nav did experience the nav stuck on loading loop the first startup, then it came back after the second time.

the issue with android auto could be caused by bad usb cable and phone related software issue most of us 99% had no issues running android auto the first time, [MENTION=15716]m.a.s.e[/MENTION] was the first one to report successful attempt at android auto:thumbsup:
I went back to trying it during lunch break today. Cable is fine, but tried a few others to be sure and no change. Reinstalled the app on my phone a few times along with clearing it out of the remembered list on sync. It sadly still does not work properly for me. Without android auto on my phone it charges fine, and can do the usual stuff. With android auto on its as if the device is constantly being switched between a USB or media device and oscillates back and forth closing and opening the app on both the phone and sync. I noticed if before I plug it in I clear the remembered cars it takes longer for the oscillation to start happening. I have not yet tried the fiance's phone on it yet to see if its a device issue.
Sponsored