Sponsored

93 octane?

magnetic16gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
I'm with you guys. I didn't buy my wife a 40K sports car. Just to worry about an extra 200 dollars.:thumbsup:When the day comes that I can't afford the gas. I'll sell it and buy a bicycle.
I've noticed that when people pick on Ecoboost owners, they brag about how little a GT can be had for....really focusing on the deals that they can get....but when it comes to exaggerating the worth of their car or complain about trade-in values, they use the MSRP of a fully loaded one? Which one is it it? Is a GT a cheap sports car that everyone should buy over the V6 or is it a more expensive exotic?

It's also interesting to hear about people walking away from deals over a few hundred dollars, etc. Did they walk away because they can't afford it over that few hundred dollars or were they just trying to save money on a better deal? Just interesting on perspectives depending on the topic.
Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It's a 20% cost savings for a 2% performance difference. Need that extra 2%, put the good stuff in a couple days before you need it. Running 87 makes a lot more sense to me than saving a little money buying an ecoboost rather than a GT.

Speaking of the Ecoboost, it makes a much bigger difference with it than the GT. Like 2 to 3x times. So they get more benefit from sticking with premium gas.
Sounds like the recent Sprint commercials, but I agree. The cost/benefit is evident. M6G peope will always back their own way of doing things and no other way is "right" in their minds though.

This is where you all are getting it wrong. It's not about being able to afford premium fuel. It's about not wanting to throw our money away. If you could cut your cable bill by $25/month by eliminating the channels you never watch, would you? I myself cut cable out completely.
Perfect analogy. Plus cutting down $30-35 per month on gas costs where I am, for negligible downfalls daily driving to work/groceries, is basically another free tank; buy 4 weeks get the 5th week's tank free.

That's significant savings in my book for negligible power loss. $100 says putting 87 in one GT and 93 in another same setup without knowing which is which no one could tell. If you could accurately gauge 10hp on a 435hp car by your butt then you're in the wrong field of work currently.

Dont care at all about those little peckers revving their Subarus with fart cans and V6 Crapmaros; too old for that crap at 35.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I've noticed that when people pick on Ecoboost owners, they brag about how little a GT can be had for....really focusing on the deals that they can get....but when it comes to exaggerating the worth of their car or complain about trade-in values, they use the MSRP of a fully loaded one? Which one is it it? Is a GT a cheap sports car that everyone should buy over the V6 or is it a more expensive exotic?

It's also interesting to hear about people walking away from deals over a few hundred dollars, etc. Did they walk away because they can't afford it over that few hundred dollars or were they just trying to save money on a better deal? Just interesting on perspectives depending on the topic.
Your talking to the wrong guy. I don't buy a car for a good deal or the trade in value. But I will walk away from a dealer. if I think they are trying to insult my intelligence. I buy a car because it's what I want. Dude I have 40 grand invested in a 95 GT. (That most people wouldn't give me 2 grand for) That I can only drive at the drag strip. It takes $10 dollar a gallon race fuel. Another 5 grand for a trailer to simply get it to a track. Does that sound like a guy that's worried about what a gallon of premium gas costs to you?:shrug:. And for the record. I don't have anything against EB owners. The one guy saying it's throwing money away by buying 93. Is just leaving power on the table. Plain and simple. Quick survey. Did ya buy a 435HP Mustang? Or did you settle for 430? And that use of a cable bill analogy. Do you still use dial up? Or do you use high speed internet? I bet some shitty slow fly by night dial up service would be cheaper. Even if it is less powerful & slower! Think about it. I guess I'm lucky at this stage of my life. To not worry about stretching 4 weeks of gas into 5. I'm to old for crap like that at 50.;)

Last edited:

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Your talking to the wrong guy. I don't buy a car for a good deal or the trade in value.
To each his own, but I've tried reg and felt no difference.
I was using it in the winter, but am now on collector insurance, as I only
put 5K miles on it the first two years (so I use 93 all the time, as I feel it
offers some cushion in the summer).

That said, the thinking of always trying to get deals (or in this case using reg to save "some" money),
applied to virtually everything in life, has allowed me to have 9 vehicles and a 3000 square
foot shop. I'm certainly not poor, but I don't earn $150K a year either. You buy the 17 GT when
the 18 comes out, just like I got my 14 base gt auto (no other options) for $26,2K, right before the
15's came out.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
To each his own, but I've tried reg and felt no difference.
I was using it in the winter, but am now on collector insurance, as I only
put 5K miles on it the first two years (so I use 93 all the time, as I feel it
offers some cushion in the summer).

That said, the thinking of always trying to get deals (or in this case using reg to save "some" money),
applied to virtually everything in life, has allowed me to have 9 vehicles and a 3000 square
foot shop. I'm certainly not poor, but I don't earn $150K a year either. You buy the 17 GT when
the 18 comes out, just like I got my 14 base gt auto (no other options) for $26,2K, right before the
15's came out.
This is exactly my point, and what people don't seem to get. It's easier to obtain wealth when you make more frugal decisions in life. Given statistics, most owners in here live paycheck to paycheck.

Also, none of us have any need to wring every last ounce of performance out on the street. 93 gives me absolutely nothing.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Your talking to the wrong guy. I don't buy a car for a good deal or the trade in value. But I will walk away from a dealer. if I think they are trying to insult my intelligence. I buy a car because it's what I want. Dude I have 40 grand invested in a 95 GT. (That most people wouldn't give me 2 grand for) That I can only drive at the drag strip. It takes $10 dollar a gallon race fuel. Another 5 grand for a trailer to simply get it to a track. Does that sound like a guy that's worried about what a gallon of premium gas costs to you?:shrug:. And for the record. I don't have anything against EB owners. The one guy saying it's throwing money away by buying 93. Is just leaving power on the table. Plain and simple. Quick survey. Did ya buy a 435HP Mustang? Or did you settle for 430? And that use of a cable bill analogy. Do you still use dial up? Or do you use high speed internet? I bet some shitty slow fly by night dial up service would be cheaper. Even if it is less powerful & slower! Think about it. I guess I'm lucky at this stage of my life. To not worry about stretching 4 weeks of gas into 5. I'm to old for crap like that at 50.;)
I bought my mustang knowing it was slower than the comaro and charger. Why would I care about losing 5 hp and maybe .1 off my ET?

As for your internet analogy, it's really not applicable. In my analogy, you wouldn't really notice any loss. In yours, the difference between high speed and dial up is beyond noticeable. You're not talking about losing 5 hp, your talking about losing 7 cylinders.

Again, it's not about being able to afford premium.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I bought my mustang knowing it was slower than the comaro and charger. Why would I care about losing 5 hp and maybe .1 off my ET?

As for your internet analogy, it's really not applicable. In my analogy, you wouldn't really notice any loss. In yours, the difference between high speed and dial up is beyond noticeable. You're not talking about losing 5 hp, your talking about losing 7 cylinders.

Again, it's not about being able to afford premium.
If your happy with your car the way it sits. That's all that matters. I race both of my Mustangs constantly. That 10th matters to me a lot. I notice it! Anyone that considers themselves an enthusiast, will notice it also. They'll know they are not getting what the pamphlet say they should be getting. If your willing to settle for 430HP when you could have 435. Again more power to ya. Some people settle. Some people don't. so this thread can go on as long as people want it to! Any sports/muscle car is so impractical from the moment of purchase. with it's ability to only fit two people comfortably inside. Or a couple of bags of groceries in the trunk. Or how you practically have to park it all winter. Because half an inch of snow disables it. (I know, the same people that will buy snow tires. Wont buy 93 )!:doh: OR to having a V8. That get 12 miles to the gallon. If you drive the sports car you own. Like a sports car. I just feel like people who worry about gas mileage in a sports car. Are the people that never drive the car......like a sports car. And probably should got a V6. Any way you kids enjoy your debate. I'm out of this one.:cheers:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
If your happy with your car the way it sits. That's all that matters. I race both of my Mustangs constantly. That 10th matters to me a lot. I notice it! Anyone that considers themselves an enthusiast, will notice it also. They'll know they are not getting what the pamphlet say they should be getting. If your willing to settle for 430HP when you could have 435. Again more power to ya. Some people settle. Some people don't. so this thread can go on as long as people want it to! Any sports/muscle car is so impractical from the moment of purchase. with it's ability to only fit two people comfortably inside. Or a couple of bags of groceries in the trunk. Or how you practically have to park it all winter. Because half an inch of snow disables it. (I know, the same people that will buy snow tires. Wont buy 93 )!:doh: OR to having a V8. That get 12 miles to the gallon. If you drive the sports car you own. Like a sports car. I just feel like people who worry about gas mileage in a sports car. Are the people that never drive the car......like a sports car. And probably should got a V6. Any way you kids enjoy your debate. I'm out of this one.:cheers:
You see, when I decide to run down the drag strip, I will absolutely put premium in her. I've owned a 10 second 89 foxbody and 94 GT, so I can appreciate the power at the drag strip. Those beast required 93 octane, but I would have gladly traded 10hp for the ability to run 87.

I don't disagree that you notice an ET difference, but we're talking a little over 1% of a performance gain here. This is going to be completely impercevable on he street with the but-o-meter.

Again, not faulting you for running 93.

Enjoy.
Sponsored