Sponsored

Custom active exhaust? Super quiet to super loud

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
I'm wondering how to put together a catback exhaust that is as quiet or quieter than stock, but then at the flip of a switch sounds like a straight pipe catback (Solo Street Race equivalent volume).

I know of two current active exhaust systems out there, the Roush and the Varex X-Force, however neither has such a wide spread in the volume between the two modes as far as I know.

One thought would be if there was an axle back muffler that with a straight H/X mid-pipe is as quiet as stock, then have a cutout with a valve before the mufflers for the straight pipe volume. Does such a muffler exist??

Anyone try to run the Varex without a mid-muffler, and can say how quiet it is when the valves are closed?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Just get an electric cut out welded in.
You can go from factory quiet to straight pipe loud.
Why spend money on aftermarket exhaust if you want it as quiet as stock?

OP
OP

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Just get an electric cut out welded in.
You can go from factory quiet to straight pipe loud.
Why spend money on aftermarket exhaust if you want it as quiet as stock?
Because if I just put in a cutout now, it still has to go after the suitcase, so it's not straight pipe loud.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I doubt anyone is going to manufacture a muffler quieter than stock to compensate for the lack of resonator.

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I was doing this I'd just get cutouts welded into an x or h pipe. just barely louder than stock closed, and insane wake the dead loud when open, AND for a few hundred vs few thousand paying for one of those fancy exhausts mentioned

have you heard how loud it is though? LOL man it always shocks me how loud most mustang owners prefer their cars to be.

ears not bleeding? then exhaust not loud enough :D

Sponsored

OP
OP

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
I doubt anyone is going to manufacture a muffler quieter than stock to compensate for the lack of resonator.
I doubt it as well but you never know.

Also why I'm more interested in what the Varex without a mid-muffler sounds like. That likely would be the best bet, but if I can somehow make a custom system that isn't ghetto rigged for less money, that would be ideal.

If I was doing this I'd just get cutouts welded into an x or h pipe. just barely louder than stock closed, and insane wake the dead loud when open, AND for a few hundred vs few thousand paying for one of those fancy exhausts mentioned

have you heard how loud it is though? LOL man it always shocks me how loud most mustang owners prefer their cars to be.

ears not bleeding? then exhaust not loud enough :D
But without the suitcase, the stock mufflers get a bit louder, and also terrible sounding from what I've heard.

And yeah, I've heard it with straight pipes and it's glorious. I just don't want that every single day as it's my DD. I've gone through a few exhausts already and went back to stock now as they are too annoying every single early morning on my commute. But for those nice afternoons when you want to play, out on a fun secluded road, it's awesome :D

OP
OP

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
I'm thinking they could go right before the suitcase right off the cats.
I've thought about that, but isn't it bad especially for a modern car to just run open headers for more than a few seconds, and at WOT? no scavenging or anything?

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol, no

and as for stock mufflers: yes they are a bit raspy at WOT and upper rpm's without the suitcase, but that's when you'd be at low rpm/part throttle anyway, so I don't see an issue. For WOT you'd want to open those bad boys up. I've seen sound tests of it and it's about 5db over stock.

Just a thought

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Because if I just put in a cutout now, it still has to go after the suitcase, so it's not straight pipe loud.
Get an x-pipe put in then.
The suitcase alone is pretty loud. Have you heard of a roush axle back?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Get an x-pipe put in then.
The suitcase alone is pretty loud. Have you heard of a roush axle back?
I had roush axlebacks on (among others) before I went back to stock. And definitely not what I'm looking for here.

I was just under the impression that the stock mufflers with a xpipe sounds like crap, but 18psi makes a good point that I wouldn't be near WOT necessarily without the cutouts open if I want to play and make some noise...

Artem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT M/T
What about Catted LTs > H-pipe > Cutouts > no mufflers? How loud would it be when cut outs are closed?

ALL4SQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
The X-Force Cat-back with the resonator removed gets pretty darn loud with the valve fully open. I enjoy it everyday on the way home from work. With the valve closed in the morning on the way to work all the low rumble is gone. Not exactly quiet as stock but pretty darn close. I just wish X-force would offer their cat-back without the resonator.

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium
The X-Force Cat-back with the resonator removed gets pretty darn loud with the valve fully open. I enjoy it everyday on the way home from work. With the valve closed in the morning on the way to work all the low rumble is gone. Not exactly quiet as stock but pretty darn close. I just wish X-force would offer their cat-back without the resonator.
you can always cut out that resonator and have pipes welded in place.

i'm actually working with them, to bring out something never done before. hoping it gets released sometime this year

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Straight pipes on the S550 sound LIKE ASS unless you're WOT. Cold starts sound like a f***ing Helicopter rotor, and the car sounds like a horrible lovechild between NASCAR and a Hillbilly Farm Truck. Even at WOT it sounds less than stellar, although you'll be like "Man, I must be doing 110 by now!!!" only to realize you're doing 25mph.

After spending the equivalent of DAYS under my car, welding cutting, testing, etc... To accomplish what you want, install electronic cutouts BEFORE the resonator, and from those, have the exit pipe go into a simple glasspack muffler. (I used 26" models) After the muffler, have them dump somewhere in a secondary location.

When you want quiet, you have the dumps closed, and you're on stock pipes, when you wanna hear it, push the button, and you're going through race bullets, or whatever small mufflers you choose- no resonators. It will be loud, without sounding stupid.
Sponsored