Sponsored

Best way to get better feel out of my MT82?

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
MGW. I love Steeda, and their Tri-Ax is a great piece that's easier to install (at least I think so from the videos). I like the Tri-Ax better than an MGW on a drag strip, personally, but MGW Race Spec is perfect for me.

If you want to do a bracket, don't. I've had one. Nothing but NVH. Worked great, but OMG the NVH. MGW replaces the entire shifter assemble and ZERO NVH added.

BTW, had my MGW installed by George at MGW HQ in August, GA. Took him like an hour. I barely got through a couple work emails and he was done.
I've done the Energy Suspension bracket, it was a pain to install but I don't notice any NVH, and if I did it wouldn't matter because this stock shifter needs every after market part it can get
Sponsored

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Prem. (PP) Magnetic
If I was to get the mgw race spec, does it keep the reverse lockout like stock? Also, is the low profile option what makes it a short throw shifter? Should I get standard? Is the XSPEC worth it?

Thanks in advance

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
When I first got my S550 I would miss about 1 in 4 shifts to third or fifth during spirited driving. The first change I made was the Steeda transmission mount insert. The insert completely eliminated the missed shifts.

I was looking at the shifter mounts but was concerned about an increase in NVH. I ran across the Energy Suspension bushing that replaces the factory bushing and uses the factory bracket. For $15 I figured I would give it a try. It made a very noticeable improvement in the feel of the shifter and had no impact on NVH.

Those two changes along with RP SyncroMax in the tranny and I was completely satisfied with the feel and action of the shifting. One of the guys I work with purchased the Boomba short shifter handle. His biggest compliment was it put the ball in a more natural position when your arm is on the console. I liked that idea so I purchased one. Besides the ball being in a more comfortable position the reduced leverage because of the shorter handle makes the shifter feel much more direct and solid.

As the car stands now the shifting is as good or better as any car I have had in the past 40 years including my Barracuda with the Hurst Competition+ shifter.
These seems like nice, simple, and inexpensive change. I tied the energy shifter bushing and the steeda transmission mount insert. The shifter bushing does make the shifter feel significantly more direct and precise, but I was not happy with the steeda insert. There was a big increase in NVH, particularly between 3000 and 3500 with the insert.

I'm keeping the shifter bushing installed for now, but the inset is gone. I'm thinking about an exhaust swap in the future and I might install a new shifter when I'm under the car for the exhaust.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have an Ecoboost and the Steeda transmission insert made no change in the NVH.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
I installed the tranny mount bushing and the NVH was horrible. Couldn't believe something floppy like that thing could cause such a negative. Goes in a heck of a lot easier than it comes out. :paddle:

Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
If I was to get the mgw race spec, does it keep the reverse lockout like stock? Also, is the low profile option what makes it a short throw shifter? Should I get standard? Is the XSPEC worth it?

Thanks in advance
The MGW replaces the pull-up collar for reverse with a push down like it was in previous gen mustangs. All of MGW's offerings are a shorter throw than stock and it is just a matter of personal preference as to which you choose. Personally I'm thinking of going with the standard MGW since I don't find the stock throws to be too long for me.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
If the MGW had a pull-up lockout I would buy one tomorrow. I do not like push-down lockouts as I sometimes tend to push down on the stick.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Unless you randomly push down, left, and up, you have nothing to worry about.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter is currently 15% off if anyone is interested ... just wanted to spread the word!

Best Regards,

TJ