Mustang Hybrid (S650) Announced, Debuts in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
It's not that bad. Have you ever looked at a modern solar panel. It is basically a very very crude silicone wafer. Glass copper and aluminum. The wafer etching is the dirty part and everything is recycled. I would much rather stand in a wafer fab than an oil sands site.

Everything we create pollutes. The fact that you get clean cheap electricity from the process for decades makes it well worth it.
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
It's not that bad. Have you ever looked at a modern solar panel. It is basically a very very crude silicone wafer. Glass copper and aluminum. The wafer etching is the dirty part and everything is recycled. I would much rather stand in a wafer fab than an oil sands site.

Everything we create pollutes. The fact that you get clean cheap electricity from the process for decades makes it well worth it.
As to not clutter this thread, please briefly explain your issue with oilsands. Have you worked there? Are you involved personally?

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
I used oil sands as a common anti green point. I have nothing against the oil sands use as long as it's profitable vs other energy solutions.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
There is a finite amount of everything. Even solar power; the sun won't last forever.
The human race will be burned to a crisp before the sun is unusable, and then the Earth will be engulfed by the sun and nobody will give a shit anymore. :D

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
how many square meters of solar panel would it take to make Mustang GT equivalent power for the average driver, e.g. 1000 miles /mo.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'd absolutely love to hear the "adverse global consequences" of solar power.
In any engineering problem - which this is - there is always a consequence. I'm not smart enough to know what it might be, just aware enough that something adverse awaits. Maybe global cooling, if enough solar radiation is diverted from keeping things like the soil warm to providing electric power.

I've always been curious as to why there's so much pushback on things like this. There's nothing wrong with progress.
There is if it distills the fun out in the process.

Fair enough if you don't think ICE cars are having an adverse effect on the environment. What is there to gain from fighting increases in efficiency and sustainability anyways?
I don't doubt that they do, but I also believe that they should not be singled out for correcting things any faster than any other industry or source of environmental harm. Keep in mind that I was around before any sort of pollution control or fuel efficiency was on peoples' minds, let alone on any public or even activist agenda. I know what it WAS like, and the strides made since are probably more real to people like me.

On top of that I for one would welcome the instant torque that comes from an electric motor paired with an efficient ICE engine. I have yet to hear any 918 or P1 owners complaining that their car has no soul or is disappointing to drive.
Now you're talking like a drag racer or a street racer, where ten or twelve second bursts of acceleration are all that matter . . . which doesn't buy you any credit here. What do you suppose happens once you've drawn the battery pack down and only have the "efficient EFI engine" to call on? Probably not track-day capable power would be my bet, so you go from sparkling performance and running down BMWs and Camaros to what - a warning light to head for the nearest recharging station because your little ICE can't keep up?

Look, I don't need a huge amount of ICE power or awe-inspiring ET capability, but I do want all of my car's performance, whatever it is, to be available at any time that it is capable of running at all. I don't want extra weight, added complexity, or things done for me that I can handle all by myself - cars are more than heavy enough and complicated enough as it is, and getting too automated.

Norm

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
The human race will be burned to a crisp before the sun is unusable, and then the Earth will be engulfed by the sun and nobody will give a shit anymore. :D
Just to build on that point- the human race won't even exist as it is now , if at all when the Sun starts to expand. That will not happen for another few billion years, so I think people should get their heads out of their butts and understand that solar, wind, hydro and eventually fusion energy is not going to hurt anything, and will help us get away from fossil fuels which will help to give us cleaner air and a cleaner environment. It will also get us away from dependence on other regions of the world for energy so we won't have to send our people to fight and die for resources. I think that's a pretty good trade off. I don't think that's "greenie" or "liberal", I just think it's common sense.

Sponsored

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
I drive 750 to 1000 miles a week for my "commute" to each work site. Some days are 40 miles and others are close to 400. Some days I could get away with driving a mustang and a lot of those miles are traveled at 70+ mph. I have days where my average speed is over 60mph. At this time, I can't see any hybrid being able to safely get me to work and home without making huge compromises in time needed or passing ability. I don't realistically believe that technology will even be able for another decade.

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
I think you are right. Your better of in an ICE only car.
In the ford press release they said they had analyzed the driving and charging patterns of their plug in and plug in hybrids. They concluded that 80% of the customers only plug in once a day and travel 60 or fewer miles a day.

I suspect that the new car will be built around this information.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
Yeah... that's not what it will be though. "... will deliver V8 power..."

Meaning the hybrid version will deliver power similar to a V8. Hybrid much more likely to be 4 cylinder + electric.

Plus CVT and it will used in other models.

Maybe even FWD :D ...:bolt:

JoelinNOVA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 R
No thanks. Added weight and cost not worth it. Hybrid sales are putrid for all models except Prius. Because its only sold as hybrid. When there is a gas version to compare price to it never works out. Only tree huggers by these things.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Status
Not open for further replies.