Sponsored

E85 and sitting

Charlie M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 gt
Do any of you guys drain your E85? How long can it sit in tank and lines without starting to absorb water? Or any other maitnace you guys do with your E85 fuel systems
Tia
Sponsored

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
Just switched to E85 tonight. I'm in to learn a few new things too. I doubt my fuel will sit long enough since its a DD.

ifly680g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I don't drive my car much in the winter so I only run 93 in the winter months. I am afraid of corrosion.

OP
OP

Charlie M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 gt
I'm talking about two-three weeks at the most. I know to keep the tank full, I guess they sell ethanol stabilizers also I've been reading.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If you are going to store your car for the winter it's best to drain out the E85 and pickle the fuel system with 93 octane. If the car is only going to sit for a few weeks you won't have any problems with water contamination, I would fire up the car once a week just to put some heat into it and that would help prevent any sticking injector problems.

Sponsored

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
I'm talking about two-three weeks at the most. I know to keep the tank full, I guess they sell ethanol stabilizers also I've been reading.
I was told that "Heet" is a good water remover for E85.. but I'd like to see what people on here are using. I'll go through a tank in a week or less.

Chevpwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 Vert
Mine isn't a daily so I would start it up once a week if I didn't drive it and let it get up to temp (not sure it helps but made me feel better). This winter I got a 91 octane tune so I don't have to remember to start it.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Don't let it sit for long. The water is no bueno and can turn the oil to gel/sludge. Letting it sit for the winter would not be a good thing.

Sponsored

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Lucas E85 fuel stabilizer. Used for several winters with great results. I dump it in, run down to the station and top off, park for winter.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Theirs no way i would let e85 sit in my tank all winter long,stabilizers or not.I have the results of e85 sitting for that length of time and most of the time its not good.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Do any of you guys drain your E85? How long can it sit in tank and lines without starting to absorb water? Or any other maitnace you guys do with your E85 fuel systems
Tia
DO NOT LET IT SIT!

If the car is going to sit for a couple weeks, make sure and run some normal pump gas through her!
Trust me on this...... been running E85 for 12 years, and I am well aware of what can happen. :)

Once a year, no matter WHAT, its a good idea to have your injectors flow tested and cleaned.
You will see changes in the spray pattern, as well as overall flow.
However after cleaning they always seem to recover just fine.

E85 is wonderful, however it does require maintenance.
But its easy, and still makes up for the awesome cheap "race fuel" gains that it delivers. :)

Enjoy

OP
OP

Charlie M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 gt
Like just add a gallon, or run a tank through it?

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
DO NOT LET IT SIT!

If the car is going to sit for a couple weeks, make sure and run some normal pump gas through her!
Trust me on this...... been running E85 for 12 years, and I am well aware of what can happen. :)

Once a year, no matter WHAT, its a good idea to have your injectors flow tested and cleaned.
You will see changes in the spray pattern, as well as overall flow.
However after cleaning they always seem to recover just fine.

E85 is wonderful, however it does require maintenance.
But its easy, and still makes up for the awesome cheap "race fuel" gains that it delivers. :)

Enjoy
Do you have to have the ID1300's cleaned? Does this require sending them out to ID? Or just run fuel injector cleaner through them? Any tips on how to clean/flow test?
Sponsored