Sponsored

Why doesn't Ford Put a catch can on DI motors?

OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Yeah, I plan on checking it every thousand miles or so until the oil change (at which point I'll empty it) just because I'm curious how quickly it fills. Obviously it's easier to get a good read on it over longer periods of time and with a larger volume of oil. Also, I think the deposit rate seems to increase with time, as the first time I checked it at 500 miles there was almost no visible oil in the can.
In the summer I did 5000 miles and the can was about 1/8 full and almost straight oil. So it really varies with weather because of the condensation.
Sponsored

Herr Squid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Ecoboost Premium
Mine certainly fills faster (and gets smellier) in the cold weather. It was about half full after about 6(?) months and maybe 3500 miles.

DSagun

Probably the slowest Eco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB aka SEULGI 1
I've only just bought a Mishimoto catch can that I'm going to install over the weekend, but my car has already gone 27k miles without having one...how bad would my engine be already? Is there any way I can reverse what's been done with all that oil going into my engine?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've only just bought a Mishimoto catch can that I'm going to install over the weekend, but my car has already gone 27k miles without having one...how bad would my engine be already? Is there any way I can reverse what's been done with all that oil going into my engine?
You're fine. Don't worry about it. Car will clear itself.

OP
OP
Glenn G

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
You're fine. Don't worry about it. Car will clear itself.
@Wildccatgoal, You are right that he probably shouldn't worry about it, if it is running well then he is ok, the engine however will not clear itself, the inherent curse of DI is no fuel washing the intake ports.

[MENTION=8273]DSagun[/MENTION], your intake ports and manifold are definitely much dirtier and coated with oil than they would have been if you had been running the catch can the whole time but you are most likely fine. The intake manifold on the EB motor is really easy to remove which will make cleaning them either not very expensive (See BMW Walnut blasting) or a Simple DIY for someone with some mechanical ability.

With a catch can i don't expect anywhere near as much carbon as the BMWs or the Chevy DI V6 are getting, I helped a friend clean his Diesel truck engine ports a few years back. (Nissan Navara) Some carb cleaner, A few stiff bristled tooth brushes an Air compressor and some careful turning of the engine to make sure the valves on the cyl we were cleaning were closed was all it took. His engine was so coaked up it was running like crap but it was rumbling away happily after our day cleaning it! we let it Idle for an hour to make sure an loose carbon had fallen out then he drove it away. Still running fine too, over 270,000 kms last time I saw it.

Sponsored

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
@Wildccatgoal, You are right that he probably shouldn't worry about it, if it is running well then he is ok, the engine however will not clear itself, the inherent curse of DI is no fuel washing the intake ports.

[MENTION=8273]DSagun[/MENTION], your intake ports and manifold are definitely much dirtier and coated with oil than they would have been if you had been running the catch can the whole time but you are most likely fine. The intake manifold on the EB motor is really easy to remove which will make cleaning them either not very expensive (See BMW Walnut blasting) or a Simple DIY for someone with some mechanical ability.

With a catch can i don't expect anywhere near as much carbon as the BMWs or the Chevy DI V6 are getting, I helped a friend clean his Diesel truck engine ports a few years back. (Nissan Navara) Some carb cleaner, A few stiff bristled tooth brushes an Air compressor and some careful turning of the engine to make sure the valves on the cyl we were cleaning were closed was all it took. His engine was so coaked up it was running like crap but it was rumbling away happily after our day cleaning it! we let it Idle for an hour to make sure an loose carbon had fallen out then he drove it away. Still running fine too, over 270,000 kms last time I saw it.
Did my 3.5 EB the same way. Works out well.

DSagun

Probably the slowest Eco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB aka SEULGI 1
Thanks for the advice folks! I'm going to install that catch can asap and maybe pull that intake manifold apart to clean just for peace of mind.
Sponsored