Sponsored

GT350 IM is awesome!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Stock GT vs 350 Throttle Bodies: Dyno Tested!

Final Conclusion

516BHP & 396lb/ft (Lund tune and full GT 350 setup)

:)

Quote my previous results for easy comparison which was of the GT 350 throttle body fully optimised make 29-30 degrees timing WOT with no positive knock.

Unfortunately I removed the 350 TB due to poor drive ability particular on cold starts, the throttle was too sensitive, almost on/off like causing the car to feel jerky/jumpy when cold, once warm it was much improved though still not perfect.

So I re-fitted the stock throttle body and got Lund to dial the tune in, once again the car is making a solid 29-30 degrees timing WOT with no positive knock. I still found the throttle a tad sensitive at first, much also be as a result of running so much timing down low as well as up top, but I requested Lund reset my throttle maps and drive by wire setting to the Ford stock settings, which has cured the issues.

Stock TB vs 350 TB

So ignore the results below 3000rpm as always that is the dyno loading up. So torque and power curve remains absolutely identical between the two throttle bodies.

Remember the tune on both runs was fully dialled in and had about 200 miles on each tune before visiting the dyno and even better ambient temperatures for both runs was 7c with similar humidity so environmental conditions were pretty identical.

Now at 6200rpm we see the larger 87mm throttle body coming into play with around a 5BHP gain which builds to nearly 10BHP by around 6500rpm and then reduced back down to around 8BHP by around 7000rpm.

So yes the bigger throttle body makes more power for sure, it depends how you consider 10BHP, can I feel it on the road? No! If anything the car feels better, but the chances of ever feeling 10BHP on a 500BHP car is likely never.

We still had the same top speed limiter issue, it seems to be dyno related, but for comparison sake it makes for a fair ocmparison.

However to check the car did not have an RPM limiter we did a run in 4th gear just to also check the stock TB carries on making power:

So you can see, the stock TB is costing nothing at the top-end, the car continues to make power beyond 7000rpm, infact a further 20BHP is made beyond 7000rpm on the stock throttle body. I did not let the dyno operator rev beyond 7500rpm simply as I am on stock OPG/Sprocket and when they clutch in for coastdown you get a rev spike of around +500rpm, so reving to 8000rpm means a spike of 8500rpm or hitting the limiter hard and whilst I am on stock OPG/Sprocket I am staying well out of that limiter.

CONCLUSION

- Stock TB drives much better when cold and slightly smoother when warm.
- 350 TB has an on/off jerky feel when cold and is still marginally jumpy when warm
- 350 TB makes 5-7WHP additional beyond 6000rpm.
- Both throttle bodies maintain power curves.
- Stock TB makes NO additional torque down low, curves are identical!
- NOW YOU SEE WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO RUN THE GEAR CLOSEST 1:1, running 3rd or 4th gives lower in-accurate results, 5th is 1:1, if you ran 6th you'd get crazy high torque figure!

So draw your own conclusions, if your a dyno queen or a drag racer the 350 TB will give you upto 10HP more and a potential 0.1s faster quarter and an additional 1-2mph on trap speed.

If you use your car as a daily the stock TB drives nicer but makes no additional power or torque anywhere when a car is fully dialled in on both throttle bodies.

One thing I am going to check with Lund on is if in my final 350 TB tune did they try just running Ford stock throttle maps and DBW settings like I am running on the stock TB. As that could help a lot, though Lund did say tuning the throttle maps and DBW on the 350 TB is an absolute nightmare with it being a GM part and SCT software does not recognise it correctly. So it could be that HP tuners software can better dial in the 350 TB if doing the throttle maps and DBW software works in HP tuners?

Anyway I hope this helps, this comparison could not get any fairer, same dyno, same operator, same ambient conditions, same gear, same fuel, both tunes fully dialled in.

Simple facts are stock TB or 350 TB, you still have a solid 500HP crank on a RHD car, so a LHD car is going to be around 515-525HP crank for sure on this setup, that is Shelby GT 350 power with more torque! :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Will be really interested to hear your thoughts on throttle modulation and resolution as I know you felt exact same things I did with a CAI, jumpy/jerky throttle. So keen on your feedback. :)

I found on the 350 setup this if anything was a touch worse hence why I went back to the stock throttle body for improved drive ability, particular on cold starts, this may not be an issue for you if the car is not your daily. :)
Most definitely my daily - 49,000 miles on it already. ;)

I wouldn't call it jumpy or jerky - it's actually smooth. Above 3,000rpm it's just more responsive. I'm sure some would call it 'touchy'. Cold starts may take a while to find out - It's already 70 degrees @ 7:30am here in Florida. lol

I'll give a more formal review after a few hundred miles.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most definitely my daily - 49,000 miles on it already. ;)

I wouldn't call it jumpy or jerky - it's actually smooth. Above 3,000rpm it's just more responsive. I'm sure some would call it 'touchy'. Cold starts may take a while to find out. It's already 70 degrees @ 7:30am here in Florida. lol

I'll give a more formal review after a few hundred miles.

Lund did say that the cold British weather would only highlight the issue more on cold starts as driving the car in 0c was not pleasant unless driving like an absolute granny when cold.

They also said that because they had maxed out timing on my car both low and high, that would further enhance the cars eagerness, which it does, punches much harder. They said they have never seen a car make 29-30 degrees timing on regular pump gas but they were unwilling to push it any more without having the car in person on their dyno, that is of course not possible, LOL.

I am happy car drives lovely now and yes its cost me a little horsepower up top using stock TB over 350 one, but drive ability takes priority. :)

I suppose as a test I could ask Lund if they could take my last 350 TB tune and just use Ford stock throttle maps and DBW settings from a stock GT or 350 with no tweaking, to see if it improves matter, though I don't think its so easy for them due to the 350 TB making it far more difficult to fine tune in the SCT software.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I am definitely doing the GT350 throttle body. I'm confident I can get it to drive smoothly and I honestly wouldn't mind snappier throttle response especially at 1000-2000 RPMs without jacking up the DBW throttle settings. I'm using all stock pedal tables normal, sport, track and driver demand except the final column of my driver demand torque is raised by about 15% at 80% pedal. Also my wet mode is 1:1 pedal vs plate just like normal mode. I might put that back to stock in wet mode with the GT350 throttle body but I doubt it because I hate wet mode stock with a passion. If it's too jumpy in normal or track mode I'll back it off a couple percent at a time until I'm happy with how it drives.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am definitely doing the GT350 throttle body. I'm confident I can get it to drive smoothly and I honestly wouldn't mind snappier throttle response especially at 1000-2000 RPMs without jacking up the DBW throttle settings. I'm using all stock pedal tables normal, sport, track and driver demand except the final column of my driver demand torque is raised by about 15% at 80% pedal. Also my wet mode is 1:1 pedal vs plate just like normal mode. I might put that back to stock in wet mode with the GT350 throttle body but I doubt it because I hate wet mode stock with a passion. If it's too jumpy in normal or track mode I'll back it off a couple percent at a time until I'm happy with how it drives.
I reckon you will get it driving nice, Lund cannot use HP tuners, well certainly the case for me as I have an SCT X4, they have to do via SCT software and that was the issue with making adjustments to throttle mapping on 350 TB.

But the 350 TB 100% makes additional power up top and is losing nothing down low to the stock GT TB. If one can get the 350 TB driving spot on then it is the better solution.

My testing was much fairer than previous comparisons as both tunes were fully optimised for each throttle body. :)

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there

Lund sent me a new tune to try a couple of days ago, they said they found some more drive by wire torque demand tables which they tweaked for me to reduce sensitivity of the throttle pedal.

Given it a try today and its better, car is smoother and I'd say on par with stock throttlebody now when car is warm. On a cold start its still not great but it has improved, gonna see how it goes. The throttle is also now linear and spot on so to get 100% throttle means you need to step 100% on pedal, this is how I like it.

But after running stock TB for a few days and now reverting to 350 TB here is my findings:

- 350 TB definitely makes the exhaust louder and deeper, improves sound.
- When shutting engine off the intake pops only with 350 TB.
- Partial throttle acceleration is smoother
- GT throttle body snaps a bit harder beyond 3000rpm and 350TB feels stronger if going WOT from around 2000rpm.
- Engine braking seems a touch marginal less on the 350 TB, but it is absolute minimal, hard to notice, lift throttle and for split second nothing and then engine braking, but its smooth when doing so.
- GT throttle body is smoother when getting on and off the gas, say off gas then press pedal 10-20% instantly its not silky smooth but OK, GT TB is smooth but it is so small now it don't bother me. I am really nit picking here! And of course if you roll into throttle then this issue is null and void.
- Cold start GT throttle body still drives smoother and better. The 350 TB is better now but it drives on cold start as if the car is running rich or lean, so you have to be smooth and gradual with inputs to keep bucking/surging minimal, it clears once oil temperature registers normal.

Gonna leave it on for a few days as its now close and the smoother partial throttle acceleration, 10HP and nicer sound could outweigh the negatives.

I've also given my feedback to Lund so they might be able to tweak the cold start and its winter here so cold starts will only improve with temperatures getting warmer.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Great data here!

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Hi there

But after running stock TB for a few days and now reverting to 350 TB here is my findings:

- 350 TB definitely makes the exhaust louder and deeper, improves sound.
- When shutting engine off the intake pops only with 350 TB.
- Partial throttle acceleration is smoother
- GT throttle body snaps a bit harder beyond 3000rpm and 350TB feels stronger if going WOT from around 2000rpm.
- Engine braking seems a touch marginal less on the 350 TB, but it is absolute minimal, hard to notice, lift throttle and for split second nothing and then engine braking, but its smooth when doing so.
- GT throttle body is smoother when getting on and off the gas, say off gas then press pedal 10-20% instantly its not silky smooth but OK, GT TB is smooth but it is so small now it don't bother me. I am really nit picking here! And of course if you roll into throttle then this issue is null and void.
- Cold start GT throttle body still drives smoother and better. The 350 TB is better now but it drives on cold start as if the car is running rich or lean, so you have to be smooth and gradual with inputs to keep bucking/surging minimal, it clears once oil temperature registers normal.
Just 2 days of having it all installed, but I have to agree with everything Gibbo said. The only thing that still bugs me is the rev hang that wasn't there with the stock mani/tb setup. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I'd much rather not have it. ;)

Cold start gets to a low idle MUCH faster - my neighbors will be thankful. I didn't really notice a difference in sound tone, but my 'car guy' neighbor immediately said it sounded deeper.

sandeale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
[MENTION=23439]Terminator2[/MENTION], pm me if interested ive got hp tuners and a street and dyno proven tune for the 350im/tb/cai and longtubes....no surging or touchy throttle

Btw i used to follow your posts quite a bit on the cobaltss forums

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
[MENTION=23439]Terminator2[/MENTION] what is your take on a larger maf cai vs a stock sized housing/velocity stack and high flow filter.....im currently running the latter, just wondering if you think itd be worthwhile to up maf housing size on the gt350 setup and headers or just a wasted investment
Seeing your current setup probably only a few whp on the table but not much. I'm running a 120mm Pmas MAF , their monster tube and filter and honestly it's probably overkill but I like overkill.

Sponsored

sandeale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Thanks man, that was prior to my most recent dyno, I have since gone to the roush MAF tube (105mm).....455 hp will hold me until I can allocate funds for a set of cams

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Seeing your current setup probably only a few whp on the table but not much. I'm running a 120mm Pmas MAF , their monster tube and filter and honestly it's probably overkill but I like overkill.
Its better to have and not need something, something. Im a fan of over building. Buying shit twice is a waste of time and money. That was a lesson i learned the hard way in my early car days.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Its better to have and not need something, something. Im a fan of over building. Buying shit twice is a waste of time and money. That was a lesson i learned the hard way in my early car days.
Exactly I know I will never flow 1700cfm that this intake can flow but it will never become a power robbing restriction for me either.

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
All of the test and tune is great, and i enjoyed reading the updates. However, it gets somewhat boring. Any kill stories yet??? :D

Also, have any of you paired this up with the PMAS intake? Stock TB and/or Gt350?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
yeah I had a good kill death ratio in battlefield 4 a few days ago.... lol
Sponsored