Sponsored

6MT vs Dual Clutch

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have to make this thread. Sorry, I do and it's not what you think it is.

I have owned DCT cars for the last 10 years. My previous 6MT was a 335i from 2006 or 2007 I believe. I have always thought how "advanced" and how "smooth" DCT transmissions were.

While it is true that in terms of sheer acceleration, they are great, ever since I got my GT350, I realize more and more that they are so bad in city driving, so clunky and uncomfortable. Not to mention in snow and ice. Nothing and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, beats a traditional clutch pedal and a driver's ability to modulate clutch gently. In stop and go traffic, slowing the car down, down shifting, managing slippery conditions, a computer cannot replace human instincts and the third pedal.

Now a traditional torque converter based auto might be something else, but that has its own problems in terms of delay in upshifts and downshifts (in manual mode). The so called 911 PDK killer GM auto transmission in Z06 was so bad, I laughed when I drove it (in manual mode).

I think nothing beats a manual transmission.
Sponsored

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I think of it related to my personal goals in a car:

1) Go as fast as possible: the Porsche PDK is unfucking real. The Audi/VW DSG is excellent. Whatever the Nissan GT-R transmission is is impressive, if not memorable.
2) Live the experience of driving: 3rd pedal, period.
3) Commute: A good torque converter transmission like the ZF in BMWs, etc. is excellent. If I did it have to deal with traffic I'd be fine with a 3rd pedal every day.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The so called 911 PDK killer GM auto transmission in Z06 was so bad, I laughed when I drove it (in manual mode).
No one who's anyone who knows a thing or two about cars would ever call the 8L90 a PDK killer. It's a travesty.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I don't really disagree, but have you driven a PDK car? They're quite smooth.

Cobra6185

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 BMW M4
My M4 in city driving is quite smooth in full Auto mode. My RS5 was also very smooth. I personally wish the GT350 came in DCT!

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My M4 in city driving is quite smooth in full Auto mode. My RS5 was also very smooth. I personally wish the GT350 came in DCT!
Too heavy according to Jamaal. The idea was considered but was dropped relatively quickly.

waited

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
GTP-PP 2015
1. DCT is great all the time. i cannot beat it personally.

2. I am long range commuter right this moment. I drive 130 miles a day.

3. My commute has heavy traffic. Imagine NY and NJ road condtion

Answer: No matter what. I like manual. all the time. even it is in on stop and go situation. even DCT is faster than me. only Manual can give me happy driving mood.
I DO NOT LIKE SOMETHING SHIFT FOR ME AND PUT 3RD PEDAL FOR ME.

:headbang:

xray16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT 350
Have owned and driven several generations of M3 on street and track. My last BMW was a Z4 35is with 7 sp DCT having come from the E92 M3 with 6 sp Man.

To me cannot beat the DCT, PDK on a race track. The fast up and downshifts, and the fact all you have to do is brake and accelerate make for fast laps and 0-60 times. However, in most real world driving the manual is just so much more fun to me. I have really enjoyed the 6 sp on the Shelby. I do daily drive it a good bit. I am lucky not to have a heavy traffic commute, that might change things if you need full auto mode.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I never had a problem with either of my DCTs in my M3 or M4. Both were very smooth when I wanted them to be and very very fast shifting as well. They just lack involvement and it can get very boring at times.

I agree with whoever else commented about the Porsche PDK. Those take it to another level and were very smooth shifting as well.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Have owned and driven several generations of M3 on street and track. My last BMW was a Z4 35is with 7 sp DCT having come from the E92 M3 with 6 sp Man.

To me cannot beat the DCT, PDK on a race track. The fast up and downshifts, and the fact all you have to do is brake and accelerate make for fast laps and 0-60 times. However, in most real world driving the manual is just so much more fun to me. I have really enjoyed the 6 sp on the Shelby. I do daily drive it a good bit. I am lucky not to have a heavy traffic commute, that might change things if you need full auto mode.
Well in this case you also need to factor that BMW developed the E9x M Chassis cars around the M-DCT, and then apparently borrowed a manual from an old garbage truck to satisfy the tens of American customers who wanted it. It is pure garbage from the fact that they declined to pick M-specific ratios to feel to throw to engagement, almost like they intentionally made it bad to force the DCT issue.

xray16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT 350
LOL, agree, it was a bad transmission! I liked the E36 M3 gearbox the best

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Too heavy according to Jamaal. The idea was considered but was dropped relatively quickly.
I have never seen him comment on potentially using (or not) a DCT in the GT350. I have seen him comment on why the TR3160 was chosen instead of the larger, heavier TR6060.

“Unless you are going to build a carbon-fiber-tubbed car there aren’t a lot of weight savings silver bullets,” Jamal Hameedi told us at last’s Los Angeles International Auto Show. “In order to get weight out or to offset weight add (from bigger brakes, wheels, and tires), it’s really about attention to detail and shaving a kilogram or a pound here and half a kilogram there. So we tried to have that philosophy on every new part we touched.”
Naturally, that philosophy trickled down to what transmission would fill the tunnel of the new GT350.
“The transmission, for sure, isn’t as stout as a 6060. This has got a dual-mass flywheel, which does ease the shock loads going into the trans,” he explained. “We never even thought of putting a 6060 in because they are way too heavy.”

VoodooThomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I had an E92 M3 and F82 M4 both with DCT before I got my GT350. I chose them originally because it is the superior transmission and gives max performance. As great as a DCT is, it's still boring compared to rowing your own gears. Driving those cars felt more like a video game whereas driving the GT350 is a true experience.
Sponsored