Sponsored

Low oil temp for extended drives - bad for engine?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
You're actually asking how much oil to remove from the engine knowing that an oil starved engine will fail dramatically at redline?
Lol
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
You're actually asking how much oil to remove from the engine knowing that an oil starved engine will fail dramatically at redline?
:lol: might fail well before redline....

I would never knowingly run my GT350 lower than the recommended amount of oil in the engine...

Just to clarify, I would never recommend removing oil to anyone to increase their engine operating temperature when they are running a high performance flat plane crank engine with an oil cooler in the winter.

I might throw out there one could disconnect their engine oil cooler but apparently clarification is needed on that too. In my opinion, disconnecting the engine oil cooler would solve the problem of low operating temperatures in a high performance flat plane crank engine in the winter time and do no harm however this would not be something I would do. It is up to the OP to interpret whether this is sarcastic or not.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I guess some people don't get sarcasm

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
If you drain the oil and run kerosene it'll heat up fast and provide plenty of heat. Just make sure you add 8 quarts of kerosene and 2 quarts of marvel mystery oil.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I just finished taping all of my lower openings, including the center grill opening to the radiator. With temps not out of the 50s all week, I should be about right on my oil and trans temps. We'll see about the coolant once I take a long drive. As it was, the trans temp rarely got much over 100.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
Be careful in the low temps. These cars are not designed to run in below freezing temps especially with the pump equipped transmission. as fluid thickens in trans the static pressure on the gerator pump will cause that gear to split or crack!!!!

Just an observation.

K code

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT K Code Convertable / 2017 GT350
The Michelin Pilots do not like the cold temps.
Watch out for the cracking.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
I keep my car cover on to block the cold air coming in all the vents, I just cut a port so I can see while driving, works great and prevents stone chips too. Wait a minute... I'm in Florida and it was 80 degrees today, and I don't even have a cover, that would be ridiculous in Florida. Not sure why anyone lives north of Florida, that's just silly.

Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Its the Michelin cup tires that are on the R that they talk about that can crack if to cold not the ones on the regular GT 350. Only not safe to drive if to cold.

Hermz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
350R
I just drove the R to work. Temps in the 40s, but went down to around 38 for a section. Engine oil warmed up to 188 and hovered around there. Tires had noticeably less traction, or maybe the voodoo was digging the cold air!

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Conv Pack Avalanche White Stripe
Its been very cold here these past few days (around 3F with wind chill) and I m noticing that my oil temp wont go over 158F. I always shift around 4k rpm and keep revs at 2500 cruising. Is this bad for the engine in the long run? I drove for 20-25 min today and it would go down to 145 if I sat in red light and go back up to 158F.

Maybe lighter oil for winter?
Yes, change to first press Olive Oil, preferably from Tuscany.
Bertoli is a good brand, that is my "go to" low temp solution.
Sponsored