Sponsored

350R Tire sensitivity to cold

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350R
Hi all. I keep my car in a temperature controlled garage and from time to time I may want to move the car outside for a few hours while it is cold. Can I do this or is it to cold for the tires. 30-45 temp range. Can they take some cold temps for a few hours.
Sponsored

Bingo13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350R, '16 GT350 TRP, '18 GT PP2, '03 Cobra
Hi all. I keep my car in a temperature controlled garage and from time to time I may want to move the car outside for a few hours while it is cold. Can I do this or is it to cold for the tires. 30-45 temp range. Can they take some cold temps for a few hours.
Since your garage is temperature controlled, they will be fine driving in the cold (still need to warm up) or sitting outside for a few hours. I ran an event last weekend and the temps were around 37F in the morning after the car sat overnight, took a full lap to warm up, but the tires (Cup 2s) were fine both mornings after sitting outside overnight. I just took it easy to the track and then the first lap after the car had rested for about two and a half hours before the first run.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I daily drove my Cup2's from the end of January through the rest of winter. There were several weeks where there were temps hovering in the low40's/high30's and I parked outside all day at work. Tires were fine and showed no deterioration in performance once temps moved back up in the spring. Now, that being said, I'm not advocating winter use for the tires, but they are not as fragile as some might have you believe. You should be fine if you're just moving it in and out of the garage occasionally.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The tires can take cold temps they just wont grip worth shit till they are warmed up.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
The tires can take cold temps they just wont grip worth shit till they are warmed up.
If it gets too cold the tread compound can actually crack. I don't think 30 is too cold but yes the grip will definitely be decreased.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350R
just want to move the car outside for a while in the drive way and put it back. Would hate to see them crack or something just from sitting there for a few hours.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
People kill me on these psc2 tires thinking they will crack like a fat man on thin ice. Drag race slicks are thinner and softer and they do fine in the cold storage. That's not saying time won't take its toll on them, but it's not like it happen over night or in days or weeks. I've seen R's sitting out side at Flatrock for weeks and months. I have psc2 on my track pack and I've pulled my car outside in the snow last year while cleaning my garage for a few hours. You'll be fine.

bracky72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech
They lose grip when cold but thats it. They don't crack. You guys are crazy. :D

K code

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT K Code Convertable / 2017 GT350
Here is a Product Service Bulletin from Goodyear. Not the tires on our cars but made out of similar compounds.
image.jpeg

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
They lose grip when cold but thats it. They don't crack. You guys are crazy. :D
They actually can crack if the temp gets low enough. If the temp goes below the glass transition temp, that's when the cracking can happen. The transition temp depends on the compound and its impossible to say without analyzing the tire.
Sponsored