Sponsored

MGW Installation Questions

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the install. I watched the video twice now, and will attempt to do this myself.

- How complex of a job is this for someone who has never done anything besides basic maintenance work (tire changes, oil changes, brakes, diff fluid etc). The video is pretty clear but knowing I am lowering the transmission, should I be worried?
- I am planning to use quickjack for this which has a height of 19" or so. Is this enough given the transmission needs to be lowered?
- I dont see any torque values provided for any of the bolts, is hand tightening them good enough, especiall the big 4 bolts that hold the transmission? I'm sure torque specs for these must be available somewhere, does anyone know where?
- Anything to watch out for? Any issues anyone had or any other tips?

Thanks
Sponsored

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I just finished installing mine. I have a lift but not a transmission jack. I had to lower the car to the height that my floor jack could support the transmission without adding more than 1 wood block. Its a bit tight but it can be done. Try to use long handle wrenches especially for the small bolt that holds the front section to transmission.

watch the video.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I'd be interested to hear about the improvement in feel the MGW shifter provides, besides the shorter throw, from those that have done the change.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Def want to see fi I can hear a review, i've been considering upgrading to the MGW like my buddies have.

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
I had George install the MGW shifter a couple weeks ago at his shop in Augusta. First of all George is a great guy and the experience was awesome. As far as the product, it is top notch! It is a work of art in terms of craftsmanship. It is really a shame that it isn't visible all the time. That's why I took this pic before George buttoned it all up.

i-xm6QKRJ-XL.jpg

One thing I love about this shifter is that whether you use MGW's aftermarket knob or the OEM unit, you don't have to use Locktite to secure the knob to the shifter like Ford does. :frusty: It comes with an adapter to lock down the OEM knob or their knob locks down with a set screw. Much better design all around.

As far as using the shifter, it feels like you have a much more direct connection with the transmission. Where the OEM shifter was pretty good, this is just that much better. It does transmit more vibration through the transmission tunnel and the shifter itself, but it isn't bad. My OEM shift knob would rattle around 4500 RPMs ... this one doesn't do that. Might be the shifter itself or because I'm not using the OEM knob anymore. Shifts are very mechanical in nature and have positive engagement; no wet noodle shifts here and you can bang on the thing and never worry about bending or breaking anything.

It also removes the lift to reverse engagement. Now you press down on the knob to enter the reverse slot.

Is this a must have modification? ... honestly no. But it IS worth the cost and it makes driving this car a little more engaging and fun and that is probably worth the price of admission here alone.

i-rTPL4Tb-XL.jpg
Sponsored