Sponsored

16/17 Ecoboost Performance Pack Pricing

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
I'll be shopping for a new mustang soon, specifically a 16 or 17 ecoboost with the performance pack (would love to have the GT but the ecoboost is what I can afford) but I really don't know what a good price would be for one. Or how to go about finding out that info so I can walk into the dealership ready to negotiate. I do have x plan pricing through work but I don't know how to figure what that price would be or if that would be the best price. Any help?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I had X-plan too - but I did all the haggling FIRST and kept the X-plan card on hand just in case - but I didn't even need the X-plan, because I was able to get the price lower than X-plan.

I would hit up the "Order / Price / Tracking" subforum in here, there's a ton of good info in there on how to research AND plan your attack without getting screwed by any Dealer.

I will suggest this:
If you have a trade in, don't let them know up front. Get THE BEST absolute price from the Dealer on their vehicle FIRST, THEN mention you have a trade, because once you get the best pricing first, they can't go back on their price point.

Also, be prepared to walk if the Dealer you go to is not willing to work with you. Do not get an emotional attachment to what you want - because then you will lose sight of your goal - which is to get THE BEST pricing, period.

Don't settle for any car, get the one you want, with the options you want. Even if it's slightly out of your price point, that can be worked if you work the Dealer.

Falcon01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost Premium PP Manual
If you have a trade in, don't let them know up front. Get THE BEST absolute price from the Dealer on their vehicle FIRST, THEN mention you have a trade, because once you get the best pricing first, they can't go back on their price point.
Absolutely do not do this. This only drags out the process and pisses everyone off. The price of the car and trade are 2 separate numbers and have nothing to do with each other.

Be up front if you have a trade and be firm on the numbers you want for both the car and the trade. Or even better, get rid of the trade private party and pocket the extra cash.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Plenty of EB up here in Atlanta with 8K off sticker. Can't do any better than that. Get a buy figure from Carmax on your trade so you have a reasonable idea what it's worth before you go shopping. I've sold a couple of trucks to Carmax because they were 2K higher than what the dealer would give me.

OrangeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Plenty of EB up here in Atlanta with 8K off sticker. Can't do any better than that. Get a buy figure from Carmax on your trade so you have a reasonable idea what it's worth before you go shopping. I've sold a couple of trucks to Carmax because they were 2K higher than what the dealer would give me.
+1

I got my fully loaded 2015 EB PP for $7.5k off sticker (before negotiating my trade) which I felt pretty good about. I got lucky and found a dealer who wanted to move my specific car. I got mine just outside of ATL.

Sponsored

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
+1

I got my fully loaded 2015 EB PP for $7.5k off sticker (before negotiating my trade) which I felt pretty good about. I got lucky and found a dealer who wanted to move my specific car. I got mine just outside of ATL.

Same here, got around $8k off Msrp on mine at Gwinnett Ford, walked out of all the dealers in Nashville. Oh yeah, and got 0% financing! Atlanta is definitely the way to go to buy a car, there's so many dealers that they have to be competitive.

Nick

Kennocha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue GTPP
Absolutely do not do this. This only drags out the process and pisses everyone off. The price of the car and trade are 2 separate numbers and have nothing to do with each other.

Be up front if you have a trade and be firm on the numbers you want for both the car and the trade. Or even better, get rid of the trade private party and pocket the extra cash.
Really?

Every salesman I have ever talked to, and an entire Reddit AMA specifically said NEVER mention a trade until just before the end, then drop it on them. Failure to do so will result in them "lowering" the cost of the car, and making it up on the back end.

They said beat them up for the best price on the car, then once you are happy with that, move onto the trade, basically forcing them to treat them as two separate numbers.

OP
OP

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
Thanks everyone for the replies. Can I trust the msrp shown by the dealer? Is that number accurate or can it be inflated?

Last edited:

packerfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang gt grabber blue
In some states though if you trade your car into the dealer on a new one you only pay sales tax on the amount being financed not the total price of the car so it can save you 500 to 1000 dollars doing it this way.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
In some states though if you trade your car into the dealer on a new one you only pay sales tax on the amount being financed not the total price of the car so it can save you 500 to 1000 dollars doing it this way.
True, and in GA that is the same on sales tax but the difference between what a dealer will typically give you and Carmax can be 3K. I was trying to work a deal to trade my 15 base EB for a 16 PP and 2 different dealers offered me 15K on my car on trade. No kidding. One of the salesman flat out told me to go sell it to Carmax and come back and buy the new car without a trade. When they are selling a car at 8K off sticker, they are losing huge money and they try to recoup it by stealing the trade. Can't really blame them, but just be smart...

Sponsored
OP
OP

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
True, and in GA that is the same on sales tax but the difference between what a dealer will typically give you and Carmax can be 3K. I was trying to work a deal to trade my 15 base EB for a 16 PP and 2 different dealers offered me 15K on my car on trade. No kidding. One of the salesman flat out told me to go sell it to Carmax and come back and buy the new car without a trade. When they are selling a car at 8K off sticker, they are losing huge money and they try to recoup it by stealing the trade. Can't really blame them, but just be smart...
Thanks for the suggestion on CarMax. I'll check them out for a quote on the trade in.

Btw, just dropped by a local dealer-17 ecoboost premium in ruby red-38k :eyebulge:

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Really?

Every salesman I have ever talked to, and an entire Reddit AMA specifically said NEVER mention a trade until just before the end, then drop it on them. Failure to do so will result in them "lowering" the cost of the car, and making it up on the back end.

They said beat them up for the best price on the car, then once you are happy with that, move onto the trade, basically forcing them to treat them as two separate numbers.
This really makes no sense. Once you and the dealer have agreed on a price, why then give them leverage on trade in value? You realize they will just see this as an opportunity to make more money off of you? They know that the trade in has a certain market value. They know you are willing to pay a certain price for the car. They know that you are reliant on that trade in as part of the deal. There is nothing stopping them from low balling the trade in value. You have already emotionally committed to the car.

It is best to be up front and declare "I have this vehicle as a trade in, and am willing to pay x-amount additional for the new car. If you can't match this, I will go elsewhere." If they don't, walk. This tactic worked for me.

Ultimately, a dealer is never going to give you what you could get by selling the vehicle on your own. They know this. Its just an opportunity for them to make more off you in the transaction.
Sponsored