Sponsored

10,000 Miles and my motor is knocking. Pretty sure she is toast.

ifly680g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I doubt being 2 qts low on oil would cause a failure like you had. My son's 2006 MB C280 had a leak at the oil filter due to the O ring not seating, it lost 8 qts of oil, it had maybe 1/2 qt left in it after a 15 mile drive after an oil change. I thought for sure the engine was toast but after replacing the filter and filling it with oil it has been running fine for 2000 miles. It does not even bur any oil after that!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

MYSHARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MUSTANG V6
I am no master certified anything, but i am true car enthusiast. When the tech said something about the oil, he made it sound like they wanted a way to put this on me. While i completely understand the need to check the oil. How often is really dependent on the person who owns the vehicle. I don't believe i did anything wrong or out of the ordinary. Luckily for me one of the forum members had my concerns conveyed to Ford corporate and i got a call Wednesday from a regional service manager letting me know they were taking care of it. I should have an update Monday I'm told. I appreciate everyone's input. It's always informative.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I am no master certified anything, but i am true car enthusiast. When the tech said something about the oil, he made it sound like they wanted a way to put this on me. While i completely understand the need to check the oil. How often is really dependent on the person who owns the vehicle. I don't believe i did anything wrong or out of the ordinary. Luckily for me one of the forum members had my concerns conveyed to Ford corporate and i got a call Wednesday from a regional service manager letting me know they were taking care of it. I should have an update Monday I'm told. I appreciate everyone's input. It's always informative.
There would be no reason for a tech to lie about how much oil was in the car other than (1) he hates you personally, or (2) someone at the dealership didn't put enough in originally. You have ruled out the latter because you confirmed yourself that it was full 5000 miles after the change.

You claim no leaks so the only thing left is a sudden and drastic change to the amount of oil the engine is burning.

But set aside responsibility for any damage from driving while 2 quarts low, you most definitely did something wrong. The definition of wrong being you failed to protect your investment, not to mention do what was required by the warranty. You didn't know it was wrong, but you should know it now.

It doesn't matter that you never checked your oil in the past or never had an oil use problem in the past. Saying that justifies not checking your oil or saying you shouldn't have to is no different than someone saying there is no danger in smoking because they have smoked for years with no problems.

Don't lose the valuable life lesson by the distraction and stress of getting back on the road with the least cost to you. That lesson being that it can cost you a LOT if you don't check the oil of ANY engine regularly. Ford and many makers require monthly checks. If you don't you risk having to fight over responsibility and of course after any warranty period, there is no debate: you pay everything. You decide how lucky you feel.

If everything you said is true, then any damage from low oil was predated by another problem after 5k miles that suddenly increased oil usage. Hopefully that can be determined but if they can't it could come down to if they believe you that there was zero oil use for 5,000 miles after the last change rather than there was a gradual loss of 2 quarts over 7,500 miles that you failed to see.

I hope you can see that no matter what you "should have to do", checking your oil more often would have kept you out of the situation because they would have been forced to fix the oil usage problem when you reported it and long before there was any oil shortage damage.

Last edited:

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Or 3 like I think Ford and the dealers have taken the approach used by insurance companies. Deny deny deny

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You know the old fox body 302 has an oil level sensor in the oil pan and if it wasn't for bean counters it still would in the coyote.
Theses sensors area never accurate enough.
I've had one in my BMW and it's a heat sensor that measures how fast the heater heats up given oil level.
Less oil, heat up faster. More oil, heat up slower.
It's never accurate.
For me I check oil level and other things like tire pressure, windshield washer fluids and tire condition every fill up.
It's a rather complicated machinery and it only takes 5 minutes to do so to prevent any pending issues.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
If everything you said is true, then any damage from low oil was predated by another problem after 5k miles that suddenly increased oil usage. Hopefully that can be determined but if they can't it could come down to if they believe you that there was zero oil use for 5,000 miles after the last change rather than there was a gradual loss of 2 quarts over 7,500 miles that you failed to see.
The V6 holds 6 quarts of oil. Even being down 2 quarts I doubt the engine would blow up unless it was being raced on a road course or similar.

If engines are ran hard, they can easily use 2 quarts in 7500 miles. My Z06 used about a quart every 3500~4000 miles with normal driving, and my Mustang GT is using about a quart every 4000 miles with spirited driving, but it's not totally broken in quite yet.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The V6 holds 6 quarts of oil. Even being down 2 quarts I doubt the engine would blow up unless it was being raced on a road course or similar.
DOHC VVT engines may be more sensitive to being down 2 quarts. Or in this case 2/6 = 33%

If engines are ran hard, they can easily use 2 quarts in 7500 miles. My Z06 used about a quart every 3500~4000 miles with normal driving, and my Mustang GT is using about a quart every 4000 miles with spirited driving, but it's not totally broken in quite yet.
I think he checked the oil at 7500, and the problem developed at 10,000 miles. So that's dropping 2 quarts in 2500 miles. One quart every 1250 miles.

In any case, dealership would have to do a tear-down to determine what happened but I doubt we will get that info.

OP
OP

MYSHARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MUSTANG V6
Got a call today. They have decided to replace the engine. I am told the engine is on National back order. Expected ship date of 11/18/2016. He did not give me specifics of what failed. I plan on speaking with the regional service manager later today to get some more clarification.

Shadowblack5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Back ordered for a whole month? That sucks, I got my engine replaced last month with similar issues at around 10k miles. Took a month start to finish, mostly for them to figure out the issue, once that was figured out I had my car back in about a week. I also had a horrible time with the dealer doing the repairs.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
What's causing these motors to smoke themselves at low mileage?
Sponsored