Thoughts on straight piping?

Erfman93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erfahn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Package
I will be doing a muffler delete in the near future and debating whether I should replace my resonator with an H or X pipe. I've heard the difference of the two on youtube, but I'd like to hear opinions from the people who have gone with these two setups. I honestly love both X and H with the muffler delete.
Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Muffler delete sounds much better. I wouldn't touch the resonator if you are doing a muffler delete. Way too loud and way too raspy.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I'll be able to hear you ripping around in that thing where I live if you go straight pipes all the way back. Fire it up, WOOOOO!!!!!

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I would look up Solo Performance Street Race Catback.
Which is basically straight pipes with x and j pipes.
Just my 2 cents, since you are thinking of going straight pipes.

Jwoair23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I did the muffler delete only, left the resonator, and I've been pretty happy with it for the $100 it cost me. You do get some drone between 1750-2000 RPM, but its not terrible to me, and I just avoid that RPM range for the most part. I love hearing the V8's natural sound all the time, especially the decel sounds etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Erfman93

Erfman93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erfahn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Package
Muffler delete sounds much better. I wouldn't touch the resonator if you are doing a muffler delete. Way too loud and way too raspy.
Well I don't mind a little rasp. I've herd other exhaust setups with a ton more rasp than a straight pipe setup (almost v6 territory).

Have you herd them in person?

GSLSE20B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 SHADOW BLACK GTPP
I will be doing a muffler delete in the near future and debating whether I should replace my resonator with an H or X pipe. I've heard the difference of the two on youtube, but I'd like to hear opinions from the people who have gone with these two setups. I honestly love both X and H with the muffler delete.
Keep the stock mufflers and get rid of the resonator and its crimped restrictions

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
There's a guy in my club that had headers and after that just pipes to the back, no H/X-pipe. It sounded loud as hell and pretty cool, but on the highway especially from the back it sounded like a tommy gun. Boom boom boom boom... I can't imagine that sounded great in the car.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
There was a dude in my neck of the woods with a pretty cool S197 that had straight pipes. It sounded awesome but I don't know how he didn't amass a small fortune in tickets.

Then again, the bay area CA is probably a little different that where your at.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
not a straight pipe unless you're cutting the cats off as well. Honestly, I think you should get an x or h pipe and get a quality axelback like corsa or roush or just get a catback. Exhaust is something you'll keep for a while so don't get a cheapo muffler delete

Sponsored

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Mustangs sound like garbage with no resonator or muffler one, not to mention being ridiculously loud.

Largehawiian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have both muffler delete and X pipe - I love the sound, I love the rasp. It sounds pissed off and mean. The sound didn't change much between the delete and the X pipe install. I did the muffler delete first, then the X pipe later. It is obviously louder and more raspy and you can hear it at least a mile away when you're winding it out. Its my favorite mod as of yet.

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
the issue i have with a muffler delete, is you can ALWAYS tell its a stock motor with a muffler delete. yes, it can sound good at certain rpms because the motor itself does sound good, but its unrefined and dump truck sounding at all other times, it resonates, drones, and rasps like crap. i ran my car mufflerless with an x driving to my buddys shop to weld up my corsas, it was cool for all of 5 minutes till i realized the similarity to a straight piped ls1 f body with slp loudmouths(aka worst sounding piece of shit car ever)

in my opinion, if you have a built motor, and its at the track, and muffler are proven to slow your car down, then i agree with running straight. i run mufflers on my 9 second 04, mufflers on my 67' race car, and i sure as hell have mufflers on my 16'. mind you, all three cars are raced regularly as well. i feel that its tacky and a cheap way to make your car sound "really loud and cool and fast" when you straight pipe a freaking street car. i prefer refined quality sound over pure volume.