My First Oil Analysis on the GT350

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I did my first oil change at 1250 miles and sent it to BlackStone to get the analysis. It just came back yesterday. It's what I expected. I have every new car checked and they all have silicon and metal from break-in. I'll test again when I change it next year.
snip.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mike02z

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
28 dollars for the standard test. If you want to know how long your oil will last, get the TBN test which adds 10 bucks. I don't bother as I change my oil every year and I rarely put more than 5k on per year.

You can get free sample kits below:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

shiraz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shiraz
Vehicle(s)
'16 ORANGE GT350 Track Pack and a '11 Subaru STI
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting, I'll definitely try this out!

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'll have to find mine, but the results were similar. I changed mine at just about the same milage as you. I'll have a look for it later.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Your local Caterpillar dealer will sample your oil for less than $20. Just go to the parts department and ask for a couple SOS kits. Once you send them in and you get in the system you have a live record. They include the pre-postaged bag to drop it in the mail box. Although they do not compliment our samples typically ;)

The only thing I am ever interested in is Viscosity at 100C. Any contaminates are a bonus. I usually send in a sample of new oil so we can compare what the Manufacturers spec says and what the actual oil tests like so you have a better trend for the used oil and the particular lab you use.

Attachments

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Interesting, but what are you doing with this information? I would expect that it should improve with your next oil change, but what if it doesn't? My OCD is ridiculous and even I can't find a need for such a test, educate me please.

Itisfun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt350
I did my first oil change at 1250 miles and sent it to BlackStone to get the analysis. It just came back yesterday. It's what I expected. I have every new car checked and they all have silicon and metal from break-in. I'll test again when I change it next year.
I am having the senior mechanic at my Ford dealership do my first oil change on Thusday. (1250 miles). Other than making sure oil filter is torqued to spec any thing else I should make him aware of? Thanks

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Your local Caterpillar dealer will sample your oil for less than $20. Just go to the parts department and ask for a couple SOS kits. Once you send them in and you get in the system you have a live record. They include the pre-postaged bag to drop it in the mail box. Although they do not compliment our samples typically ;)

The only thing I am ever interested in is Viscosity at 100C. Any contaminates are a bonus. I usually send in a sample of new oil so we can compare what the Manufacturers spec says and what the actual oil tests like so you have a better trend for the used oil and the particular lab you use.
Viscosity at 100C isn't particularly meaningful in a UOA. The two numbers that matter the most, and which are in the CAT tests but not Blackstone, are Oxidation and Nitration. They indicate the extent to which the oil is actually breaking down and forming varnish and other deposits inside the engine. Even that data isn't easy to interpret. Most oils start with little or no Nitration, but many have a baseline level of oxidation from the Group 5 esters that are used in the manufacture of top synthetic oils. For both, it's the increase that matters, not the absolute level. An increase of more than 10% means you're running the oil too long.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mike02z

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, but what are you doing with this information? I would expect that it should improve with your next oil change, but what if it doesn't? My OCD is ridiculous and even I can't find a need for such a test, educate me please.
I track the reports to determine if there is any potential issues with the engine over time. Typically metals and silicon's will all settle out after 4-5k miles. If you continue to see higher than normal metal compared to the universal averages, you may be having an engine issue.

I had a car that showed abnormal metal in the oil and the dealer would up replacing the engine based on the oil reports. I believe they also did their own independent test. I'd prefer to know about a potential issue before I'm stuck by the side of the road. It is probably overkill but it's 28 bucks a year and it makes me feel better.;)

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Viscosity at 100C isn't particularly meaningful in a UOA. The two numbers that matter the most, and which are in the CAT tests but not Blackstone, are Oxidation and Nitration. They indicate the extent to which the oil is actually breaking down and forming varnish and other deposits inside the engine. Even that data isn't easy to interpret. Most oils start with little or no Nitration, but many have a baseline level of oxidation from the Group 5 esters that are used in the manufacture of top synthetic oils. For both, it's the increase that matters, not the absolute level. An increase of more than 10% means you're running the oil too long.
I partially agree except no one on this forum and anyone actually getting an oil sample is very likely going to leave the oil in their engine long enough to see those numbers move enough to receive an alert :cheers:

Commerical/Industrial recip's run 24hrs/365. They are not getting shutdown for scheduled maint. until they have a yellow or red alert. Mustangs have a tiny (relative) engine with a massive oil capacity. Keep in mind that old 5.0L's held 5qts and the new 5.2 holds 10. Thats a lot of reserve to contaminate. Now if someone wanted to overheat their oil constantly and never change it eventually I suspect the additives in the current quality oils would finally breakdown enough to see a large swing.

I can tell you that when we tested Mobil 1 virgin and used oil the numbers were higher than the Motorcraft Blend. So testing the new oil is critical to have any kind of reliable data. Getting an accurate sample without contaminating it is also a challenge, no sample port :D

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
I partially agree except no one on this forum and anyone actually getting an oil sample is very likely going to leave the oil in their engine long enough to see those numbers move enough to receive an alert :cheers:

Commerical/Industrial recip's run 24hrs/365. They are not getting shutdown for scheduled maint. until they have a yellow or red alert. Mustangs have a tiny (relative) engine with a massive oil capacity. Keep in mind that old 5.0L's held 5qts and the new 5.2 holds 10. Thats a lot of reserve to contaminate. Now if someone wanted to overheat their oil constantly and never change it eventually I suspect the additives in the current quality oils would finally breakdown enough to see a large swing.

I can tell you that when we tested Mobil 1 virgin and used oil the numbers were higher than the Motorcraft Blend. So testing the new oil is critical to have any kind of reliable data. Getting an accurate sample without contaminating it is also a challenge, no sample port :D

Tommy, what is the secret to getting a oil sample that you do not contaminate. Thanks, John

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Tommy, what is the secret to getting a oil sample that you do not contaminate. Thanks, John
The best way on a car is to drain it hot, wipe off the pan before you start, pull the plug and have your sample bottle ready. Once the initial surge stabilizes stick the bottle in there. Its a little messy, wear gloves :) Normally you can use a sample hose with the pump but the dipstick tube diameter is so small that you risk scraping the goo that collects in the tube. Then you pull that into the sample.

The Industrial units I work on have a Parker type test port which you screw a hose on while the unit is running to get a clean "as operated" sample. Of course the sample hose is cleaned and get in a sealed bag in between uses.

You could install a tee on your engine with a test port but it's getting a little too scientific for a street car that gets the fluids changed likely way more than needed.

I have actually taken a sample from a "clean" Mobil 1 bottle as a new comparison and had it come back with excess dirt. :headbonk: Keep in mind that all packaged oil once opened and sits around your garage can still collect contaminates. A good Lab will detect it. So now when I send in a control sample I use the new unopened oil that I'm putting in or if I change product I use an unopened bottle of the product I'm taking out.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
This doesn't mean much unless you also sample the oil that's used in the engine when new from the bottle.
Sponsored