Sponsored

Ford to build FPC VOODOO till 2020

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The 5.2 FPC would be PERFECT for a Shelby Raptor Special Edition, after all it's already in a Shelby so it fits nicely. The only question then would be would they stick with the 6-speed tranny.

If the Raptor doesn't work, another Lightning model certainly would be popular IMO.
Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
But what kind of vehicle other than a track car? The 5.2 FPC is a high RPM, high HP, lower torque motor. That is GT350 territory for IMSA, PWC racing, and enthusiast's exclusivity.
That is the only thing in his statement I didn't agree with. In my opinion, the GT350 can be viewed as 2 completely different markets. The GT350's that the public buys and the GT350 that races.

If a vehicle is involved in an OEM Motorsport Program and offers a Turn Key Race Car, technically it is two different cars.

The GT350 shares its engine with the Motorsport GT350R-C. Typically, Ford builds 100-300 additional Turn Key cars every model year at $200,000-$300,000 a piece. The same laws of probability that apply to the Boss 302 apply here...

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Just some thoughts. The 5.2 fpc still has some gains to be had just switching to direct and port injection. This engine didn't take 24 moths to build like the Trinity did. It took much longer. Ford would have not invested the time and resources that they did unless they plan to continue to use and develop the technology. It is likely that that technology will be found in other cars besides the GT350 in the future.
Remember too though that the Aluminator XS 5.2 CPC that just debuted revs to 8000 rpms.... thats only 250 shy of the 5.2 FPC motor.

IMO, the resources and invested time would not go to waste. If they bring out a 5.2FPC that even revs to 7500 in the production engine for example, all of that research and development for vibrations and durability etc. would still be applicable since it is still a very high revving NA V8.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Just cause they are continuing production of the engine through 2020 doesn't guarantee they will produce the car along with it. No doubt, some exotic companies are looking at the Voodoo as the base powerplant in their supercars, and we need a stock of backup engines for failures.

My concern is this... after having my shifter replaced I learned a lot about how this engine is dampened throughout the powertrain. I would be hesitant to believe this engine will be matched with any other tranny at the present moment given the balancing that extends past the harmonic and downstream of the engine. There's more dampening than I realized.
thePill will catch hell for bringing this up now but...

...due to shear cost of development, the S650 will maintain quite a lot of the S550 structure. As you said, Ford developed the structure in unison with the drivetrain. I believe the legacy of this very car will extend beyond 2020 and continue into the S650 era.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The 5.2 FPC would be PERFECT for a Shelby Raptor Special Edition, after all it's already in a Shelby so it fits nicely. The only question then would be would they stick with the 6-speed tranny.

If the Raptor doesn't work, another Lightning model certainly would be popular IMO.
No it would not.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Just cause they are continuing production of the engine through 2020 doesn't guarantee they will produce the car along with it. No doubt, some exotic companies are looking at the Voodoo as the base powerplant in their supercars, and we need a stock of backup engines for failures.

My concern is this... after having my shifter replaced I learned a lot about how this engine is dampened throughout the powertrain. I would be hesitant to believe this engine will be matched with any other tranny at the present moment given the balancing that extends past the harmonic and downstream of the engine. There's more dampening than I realized.
Interesting perspective, never thought about that before. Would be certainly interesting to see a Voodoo in some exotics. I could actually see it end up in a base Aston Martin Vantage, or perhaps an R8 V8 if they ever chose to bring back the gated shifter.

Would definitely be interesting to see though if that were the case! Though most supercar manufacturers are all going turbocharged now. A lot of them are sourcing TT V8's from AMG, and no surprise there really considering how incredibly built those engines are.

An 8250 rpm engine in a truck? Nahh, nowhere close enough torque to make that a reality. I could see the 5.2CPC version being decent for a truck though, lower redline with a focus on low-end torque could be interesting.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Ford Performance and Multimatic's amazing racing success this year with both the FGT and the GT350R-C, plus the sales of the production versions have no doubt changed a lot of thinking at Ford. It makes no sense to stop production for original exclusivity reasons instead of pressing on with production of racing championship and sales leading cars and engines.

FCA and GM put Hellcats and LTxs in anything with four wheels, but Ford should limit itself to exclusive motors for any cars that attract ADMs? I don't think so.
The majority of the racing success though is down to pit strategy, suspension setup, tires, and aero. The type of engine matters, but is not the most significant aspect by a long shot. After seeing that the Aluminator XS revs to 8000 rpms and makes even more power, I don't think it would be too hard to see that engine in their race car next year on track, do you agree?

I certainly hope so anyway. What FCA and GM are doing with their engines is the reason why their cars aren't in the headlines, why those vehicles are selling with 10-20% off below msrp. Nothing is special about a vehicle that is produced in high numbers. The lower the production numbers, the higher the interest, the higher the demand. You switch out vehicles every couple of years, keep the demand and interest high.

If they made a GT350 every year from now on, you think in 10 years time anyone would give a hoot about what it was? It would just be another basic mustang in everyone's eyes. You keep the numbers low, you keep it exclusive. Exclusivity means profit because it draws people in for the next special vehicle that they can charge a premium before. It keeps people interested in the brand. And nobody does this better than Porsche, look at what they've done with the GT3, then GT3RS, then 911R, then the upcoming GT2 as well as refreshed GT3, etc.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
The voodoo as we know it will be limited to the 350. All they do is add port and direct injection, and it's all new with (my favourite) reduced internal friction!

There we have it, the same engine, but different.

The other option is to de-stroke the current 5.2 to a 4.7 289ci screamer all based on the same block and heads and voila. All new again!

I personally wouldn't mind either as I'd probably get one because our options of high strung NA powerplants are coming to an end.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The majority of the racing success though is down to pit strategy, suspension setup, tires, and aero.
Exactly, plus reliability.

The GT and GT350R-C both race in series that handicap all the cars to make them equal in performance. The racing has zero relationship to how the street versions of the cars they race against perform.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The voodoo as we know it will be limited to the 350. All they do is add port and direct injection, and it's all new with (my favourite) reduced internal friction!

There we have it, the same engine, but different.

The other option is to de-stroke the current 5.2 to a 4.7 289ci screamer all based on the same block and heads and voila. All new again!

I personally wouldn't mind either as I'd probably get one because our options of high strung NA powerplants are coming to an end.
FPC 4.7 after 2020. The S650 is just an evolution of the S550 and it will likely have a lot in common with the S550. It has been designed as a Sports Car since day 1. Its structure is much more compact than anything else's in the price range.

After the Voodoo is reduced to 4.7, I feel they will recast to cooling passages in the block to improve cooling even more. PTWA and a recast/revised Coyote Block after the Mustang drops so weight. As long as the Mustang remains heavy at 3700lbs, larger engines will be used.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The majority of the racing success though is down to pit strategy, suspension setup, tires, and aero. The type of engine matters, but is not the most significant aspect by a long shot. After seeing that the Aluminator XS revs to 8000 rpms and makes even more power, I don't think it would be too hard to see that engine in their race car next year on track, do you agree?

I certainly hope so anyway. What FCA and GM are doing with their engines is the reason why their cars aren't in the headlines, why those vehicles are selling with 10-20% off below msrp. Nothing is special about a vehicle that is produced in high numbers. The lower the production numbers, the higher the interest, the higher the demand. You switch out vehicles every couple of years, keep the demand and interest high.

If they made a GT350 every year from now on, you think in 10 years time anyone would give a hoot about what it was? It would just be another basic mustang in everyone's eyes. You keep the numbers low, you keep it exclusive. Exclusivity means profit because it draws people in for the next special vehicle that they can charge a premium before. It keeps people interested in the brand. And nobody does this better than Porsche, look at what they've done with the GT3, then GT3RS, then 911R, then the upcoming GT2 as well as refreshed GT3, etc.
Ford wants to remain competitive with Porsche... now they got the right weapon for the job and they are murdering the competition.

If they made Porsche 911's every year, does it reduce their value? No... the product has been getting more and more refined through successes in racing.

The 911 has been bred in Motorsport and now the GT350 stands on the shoulders of the S197's sucess and excels.

You are among the very few who wants the Mustang's dominance to stop or at least transform.

This is how you build heritage... the only way to build heritage.