SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
I've got a little bit of free time at work right now and got to thinking about how differently I would've done things from the jump if I knew what I knew now.

The main thing being that I would've forgoed pretty much every N/A mod and bought the "Beefcake Special" blower kit.. or maybe even tried my luck with an ON3 TT kit.

If I were to keep it N/A though, I probably would have gone LTH's instead of cat deletes (mainly because I'm curious to see how much of a difference there actually is). *Note - I've pulled 2 or 3 S550's with similar mod lists to mine with the exception of their LTH's to my cat deletes. Even with these real world results, I keep reading of crazy gains under the curve on the dyno.

Matter of fact, the only other 5.0 I've lost to was an FBO + Boss Mani S197. He was rolling out on me while I was rolling out on a 6MT 6G Camaro.

Are there any mods that you guys wouldn't do again if you could start from scratch?
Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Actually, no. I'd do everything again the same. I usually do pretty much homework before I do my mods, and I like them all.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Actually, no. I'd do everything again the same. I usually do pretty much homework before I do my mods, and I like them all.
How long do you think you'll be content with your current power level?

I ask because you and I both moved pretty fast in terms of mods and I always seem to want more. I'm excited for boost but nervous at the same time. It'll be great when it finally happens, but I know I'll want more power after a month or so.

It's a never ending cycle. :frusty::headbonk:

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Yeah, you're right. Things moved along pretty quickly. As for being content with the power level? So far, so good. I wanted to spread the money around on several different mods, versus one big mod like a supercharger. (Although I almost bought one).

Slater_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cali, 2016 GT premium
I would have waited for a Corsa Sport Catback with a set of ARH's instead of jumping the gun and buying the MBRP race catback, the drone is killing me.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd end up with a different catback if I could start over again. At the moment it's 'good enough' to where I would rather spend money on suspension and tires. Eventually I'll get a different axleback, though.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I would have waited for a Corsa Sport Catback with a set of ARH's instead of jumping the gun and buying the MBRP race catback, the drone is killing me.
I've read some other guys mention about the drone of the MBRP race catback. I have the street and it's tolerable to me. Many years of riding Harley's made me not mind any exhaust tones. Lots of guys seem to like those Corsa's.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I'm still fairly new to the game...but so far I've started with relatively inexpensive mods that are safe and easy to install. I'm the type of guy that plays it safe and takes his time.

Plus, there ain't no fun if all the mods you want are already in the car...finding parts, experimenting, doing ghetto DIY stuff, is at least half of the fun of having a 'stang.

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
After I researched the crap out of Exhaust. I ended up with the Corsa Sport and I'm not sure it was exactly the perfect match for me. That is something I'd do differently.

1badrz28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After I researched the crap out of Exhaust. I ended up with the Corsa Sport and I'm not sure it was exactly the perfect match for me. That is something I'd do differently.
That Corsa Sport is awesome. No sound until you want it and a little more exotic sounding. Even with the windows open it's very easy to carry a conversation. It was best money I ever spent. Wife loves it as well.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think the Corsa Sport would be exactly what I'd get if I got a easy do-over. Mine is a bit deeper and smoother than I want. I'd like to have the higher pitched and exotic tone of the corsa. Second best would be FRPP Touring for me.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I really like my Magnaflow Street, but sometimes I'm hit with drone if I "lug" the engine by staying in 6th gear and slowing down on the interstate to under 55 and picking up speed. Especially going up hill.
I like that it is not too loud, and I just don't know what else there is to go with that isn't too loud. If anything I might experiment with some J tubes just before the mufflers.

Just this weekend I installed a Barton shifter. It feels really good, but it is tight. I really liked how loose the stock shifter handle moved around, but just too much damned play in it. Someone did say it will loosen up over time.

No regrets on any other of my mods.

FWIW, not planning on any tunes, power mods, etc. Completely happy with my daily transportation.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I really like my Magnaflow Street, but sometimes I'm hit with drone if I "lug" the engine by staying in 6th gear and slowing down on the interstate to under 55 and picking up speed. Especially going up hill.
I like that it is not too loud, and I just don't know what else there is to go with that isn't too loud. If anything I might experiment with some J tubes just before the mufflers.

Just this weekend I installed a Barton shifter. It feels really good, but it is tight. I really liked how loose the stock shifter handle moved around, but just too much damned play in it. Someone did say it will loosen up over time.

No regrets on any other of my mods.
I am pretty certain my setup (JBA) sounds VERY similar to the magnaflow street. Same issues for me. I have toyed with the idea of J-pipes or going to a double X-pipe (supposed to change tone to a little higher pitch and help with drone, but how much is uncertain). At that point though, I'd rather just spend just a little more and get a new axleback.

Slater_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cali, 2016 GT premium
I've read some other guys mention about the drone of the MBRP race catback. I have the street and it's tolerable to me. Many years of riding Harley's made me not mind any exhaust tones. Lots of guys seem to like those Corsa's.
The sound when you're not in that 1700-2000 rpm range is perfect. It doesn't bother me a whole lot but it's still annoying. Had the Corsa extremes on my '13 and was in love with them. I got anxious to make it sound better and like I said, jumped the gun :headbonk:

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
That Corsa Sport is awesome. No sound until you want it and a little more exotic sounding. Even with the windows open it's very easy to carry a conversation. It was best money I ever spent. Wife loves it as well.
100% agree with this post. My exhaust mods went as follows:

* Muffler Delete with stock tips - loved the way this set-up sounded aside from the drone.

* Corsa Xtreme CBE - Bought into the hype and honestly it seemed quieter becasue there was no drone in the cabin. From the outside however, the car was loud. Already walking that line between almost too loud and way too loud. No issues with local PD.

* Mak 3" Cat Deletes + Corsa Xtreme CBE - FUCK'S SAKE. I ran this set-up until about a few days ago. This is nuts, downright insane loud. At first, I loved how crazy it was for me to even DD a car this loud. Merging onto the highway sounded like the gates of hell were opening up through my exahust pipes. Then I let someone else drive my car and realized it was just pure loudness with no tone. Might've sounded better with headers but I'll never know. I've had cops pull me over strictly for this exhaust set-up. I was tired of it. So loud it was almost ricey. All that noise in a car that might run low-11's in the 1/4 at best - ridiculous. The Xtreme CBE is gone and good riddance.

* Corsa Sport CBE + Mak 3" Cat Deletes - In a word.. perfection. Cold starts are far more tolerable than my prior set-up, cruising below 3500rpms produces a glorious, almost exotic exhaust that in no way is overstated or obnoxious. Once you lay into it though, holy shit, this thing is still loud. Not "too loud" but just the right amount of loud. Hell, my father who hates anything that makes a loud car complimented the new exhaust for having a deeper, clearer tone and sounding more like a car like this should. He went so far as saying the Xtremes were too high pitched, raspy and unneccesarily loud when just cruising along. I have to agree with him.
Sponsored