Sponsored

IAT's at the end of the 1/4 mile

FATHERFORD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
What have y'alls IAT's been down the 1/4 mile?

The "problem" I have been having with my car, is I'm hitting nearly 160° temps on the end of the quarter with at only 13psi(full power I'm 21psi). Although I'm not knocking(run e-85) the computer still pulls timing.

It was pointed out that I'm no longer on the top-10 fastest s550's on this site, so I guess I better get off my butt and get it figured out.... With that said I already to have a faster time slip, I just haven't posted it up;)

I think this comes into a few different reasons.

1: When I'm running it's still 90+ degrees outside.
2: The intercooler that was put on my HPP system is WAY to small.
3: The intercooler location is pretty bad(right behind the front bumper)
4: Possibility that my turbo location under the hood isn't getting fresh cool air.

So I'm trying to come up with solutions...

1: Travis@Boostworks and I are discussing building an intercooler that is MUCH bigger. Not sure if it will ultimately fix the problem even in dead heat of summer, but should be done eventually.

2: Travis and I are also discussing, and will most likely do it no matter what, divorcing the IAT sensor from the MAF and moving it further upstream, this will be for option 3 or 4.

3:I have a Nitrous Outlet dry nitrous system laying around the house. Spraying a 35 dry shot post MAF, to cool the intake charge. This shouldn't effect tuning any, and hopefully cool the air charge enough to keep the ECU from pulling timing. I can use my E-Boost 2 to control the Nitrous setup to come on above 10psi.

4: I have a DevilsOwn methonal injection laying around also. This would also cool the air charge and ADD fuel/knock resistance. This would require a retune, and then would require me always having meth. I could run 50/50 water/meth setup and not worry about a retune, but that would effectively lower the octane rating combined with my e-85.

5:Using the Nitrous kit and doing a intercooler Halo. These do work, but waste lots of nitrous. I think #3 is a better option still.
Sponsored

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
I used to see 120-130* on 11psi Paxton car and 130-140* 15psi in 80-85* air

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Lived in Houston and now in Austin. Round here seems everyone is having hella time getting heat out of these stangs. Front end is just too closed up.
Just some thoughts:

-Turn the back of the passenger compartment into heat exchanger?:
-Remove rear quarter windows.
-Remove back glass.
-Plexiglass divider seperate front from new open rear.
-Cut top of trunk lid and weld hinges to make it a wing.
-Cut trunk floor and back out so you vent out back under new geto wing.
-(Add tube support if needed for rear unibody)
-Move radiator or intercooler and/or trans,AC, coolers etc to rear mount in lower half of back glass and in trunk pass thru.
-Battery to rear too.

-Back part of hood between windshield sprayers: cut all support out to just leave skin to get more airflow out of engine bay. Pull coping too etc.
-Pipe a turbo intake all the way up to bumper higher up
-Run two blow off valves with a restriction in between(can use a second throttle with fixed angle or programmable). run a higher pressure in the IC to get more heat out then drop the pressure after the new throttle/restriction to get a slight temperature drop with the pressure drop. basic refrigeration.
-pull fender liners and move AC xchanger to one side and trans/oil to other.

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
bigger intercooler and getting air to it will definitely help.

water/meth injection pre-turbo also, that way will give the water/methanol time to vaporise and do it's job. try with a higher water content then work from there.

the problem is that IAT is measured pre-fuel so the good E85 does with dropping IAT after fuel is added is not seen by the ECU.

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not just have the tuner make the ecu not to pull timing till it's hotter? Unless you're knocking or the air density drop from hotter intake charge is causing a big power decrease. we do this all the time on turbo 4 bangers running on e85 and race track map

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
This week at mason dixon,it was about 85 degrees,i have my logs and the highest my iat went was 90 degrees.The procharger intercooler is awesome!!!

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Agreed the PC intercooler puts in work.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
This week at mason dixon,it was about 85 degrees,i have my logs and the highest my iat went was 90 degrees.The procharger intercooler is awesome!!!
We typically see about 10 degrees over outside temp at the top of the track.

Actually on a REALLY hot day here it was super impressive what the intercooler could do.... 101 degree day, 141 degree track surface temp, 113 IAT's at the top of the run. :)

The intercooler design, combined with the S550's natural aerodynamics = perfect for boost. :)

Jewishthunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Magnetic GTPP
I'd say you need a bigger/more efficient intercooler
Sponsored