Sponsored

Dealer screwing me on extended warranty refund....Options?

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
I traded my Mustang 6 months ago, basically to cheapen up my life and because I'm too neurotic to own a nice car in the city as a daily driver. I was told I had a 2000 dollar refund coming from the extended warranty I purchased (never again will I do this). I never receive a check in the mail so i went to the dealer (an hour away) and the finance guy I saw said the paper work was never done. I filled it out and 2 months later nothing. Long story short...been getting the run around from whom ever I deal with there, no one returns my emails, no one returns phone calls or answers their phone, when I do get ahold of someone they said they ''are looking into it''.
Anyone have this issue and know what I can do to escalate this? Ford Corporate? I'm not naming the dealer yet, I am going to go there and give them one more chance, then the gloves come off and I will blast them on every social media site and forum I can.
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Try reading the fine print on the back of the warranty. I cancelled my Ford ESP in less than a month and had to pay a $75 cancellation fee. Since it was so long ago, I can't remember the time limits and associated fees, but it will say in the back. Since I didn't trust the stealership, I covered myself and faxed my own paperwork in while telling the stealership to do the same.

My concern was that upon faxing in all of my paperwork, Ford ESP would not give any sort of acknowledgement that they received my cancellation request other than through the telephone. It ended up getting cancelled though. I'm not sure if it was my request that did the trick so quickly...

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I was in a similar situation. I purchased the extended warranty, Maintenance plan, wheel warranty, and key warranty on my 16 GT. The only thing I refused was the paint protection. About 60 days later I traded it for my 17 GT350. I was unable to get a call back from the finance manager of the dealer that sold me my 16. I finally called his boss and the next day I got all the paperwork. I only had to give them a copy of the odometer statement and a note from the bank that the car was paid in full.

2 weeks later I got a check from Ford for 5,100 and then from All-State for the other coverage's. They did take some money from the wheel warranty as I had to use it 10 days after buying the car when a pothole tore it up.

After I completed this I decided to go back to the dealer where I bought my C7 and got that warranty money back. It was prorated but still a nice hunk of change.

Many dealers will give you BS that the money can't be returned. One dealer told me "You paid for that in your payment so you are not eligible for a refund" What? I paid the car off dumb azz!

Keep at them and show up at the dealer and say you need to talk to the finance manager. That way they can't hide from calls. You are 100% entitled to a prorated refund for all warranties. The terms may be different but don't let anyone tell you it's not owed to you.

This is one of those dirty little secrets among dealers. You have to be forceful. It was the dealer that sold me my 17 who told me how to do it. The selling dealer of my 16 asked how I knew I could get my money back. I said "I'm not a moron, that's how".

timsstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 'vert
Keep at them and show up at the dealer and say you need to talk to the finance manager. That way they can't hide from calls. You are 100% entitled to a prorated refund for all warranties. The terms may be different but don't let anyone tell you it's not owed to you.

^^
This

OP
OP

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
I have a copy of the paperwork for the refund. It's getting ridiculous now, they are horrible to deal with. They will take your money in a minute though, maybe I should call them and tell them I'm interested in a new car. Then I'll get a return call in 5 minutes.
It's an hour drive to the dealer and I am really busy. I was hoping to get this handled via email or phone but it looks like I have to drive there again and lose time at work. I wonder if the BBB would like to hear about this.....

Sponsored

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
Ugh. Extended warranties. Finance manager at my dealership is just a greasebag. He was my best friend while trying to sell that to me. But when I politely but firmly made it clear I was declining, got the cold shoulder forever after from him.

To each their own, but I am definitely not an extended warranty type of person. But that turd would not let it go...

OP
OP

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Ugh. Extended warranties. Finance manager at my dealership is just a greasebag. He was my best friend while trying to sell that to me. But when I politely but firmly made it clear I was declining, got the cold shoulder forever after from him.

To each their own, but I am definitely not an extended warranty type of person. But that turd would not let it go...
I would have never bought it but I planned to keep the car a long time. Things change though.....never again will I purchase one, I have learned my lesson.
I'll be taking a trip to the dealer and I will be demanding to see someone in charge this time

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
The reason you get the cold shoulder from the Finance Manager when you don't purchase the crap he's selling is because that's "back end profit". They get paid commission on this stuff and are expected to hold a certain level of BEP. I NEVER buy any of the extras as it's mostly BS. Extended Warranty is just an insurance policy against defects that are covered. Paint and fabric protection just Scotch Guard and Sealant you can purchase that's installed by the detail guys. They almost always have a provision that you need to have these things "touched up" annually (at your expense) or the coverage is voided. It's all just a way to make you part with more $.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I only ever get the wheel replacement coverage. Lemon AMG package Mercedes I had mysteriously ended up with a bent rear wheel. Never hit a pothole its life. Dealer wanted $1,800 for one wheel, like $1,000 on eBay for probably a stolen wheel. Then I remembered I had this package and got a new wheel in a week for like a $50 "co-pay". #sanitysaved

With that car I broke my usual rule and bought an extended warranty though, because it was my first MB and I figured it'd be a POS for reliability (I was right). But when I started the lemon process (it'd go into some kind of limp mode after a while on the highway and threw "turbo not providing enough boost codes" that nobody could replicate), I called the company that the insurance is provided through and cancelled it. I didn't deal with the dealer at all. I did get a call from the dealer asking why I did that and he whined that he'd lose his commission on that. I reminded him they sold me a car that almost gets me hit by semi-trucks when it stops accelerating on the highway. He shut up. Haha.

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Try to get to the GM of the dealer. $2,000 is a lot of money to give up on. If you can speak with the GM, you might have better luck getting what you're looking for.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I learned awhile back to walk in to the business, shake hands, and tell them right up front to drop all the BS and just write up the contract. Doofus tried to sell an extended, on a frackin LEASE...that's how stupid they are.

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
I learned awhile back to walk in to the business, shake hands, and tell them right up front to drop all the BS and just write up the contract. Doofus tried to sell an extended, on a frackin LEASE...that's how stupid they are.
I do the same thing. Before the finance person even starts talking I tell them that I am going to say no to every single thing and that I don't want anything else.

Last guy said he had to ask me and I said that's fine. At one point he told me that this was worth getting and I looked at him and said thank you and I'm sorry but I just want the car and that's it.

If they get really pushy just tell them when you get your buying survey from Ford you're going to give them a bad rating and they'll usually not bother you after that.

When I leased my BMW in 2013 after I told the finance guy I was going to say no to everything he just handed me the signature and initials pages & I was outta there in 5 minutes. :thumbsup:

OP
OP

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Well, I was able to get ahold of the GM of the dealer. Supposedly he is on it and said for me to expect a call. I won't hold my breath though after getting the run around from 3 different people there.
Sponsored