Sponsored

Emptying the Mishi Catch Can?

Wulf Titan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM A/T
How you open the damn thing to empty it? I thought it just unscrewed but I couldn't get after 20 minutes :frusty:. Do you disconnect the hoses and take it completely off the mount or is there a need for that?
Sponsored

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
I also can't empty mine without taking the bracket and the hoses off the catch can to take it off completely from the car then opening it

Xcelsior

Threads
Reaction score
Website
bearcats18.enjin.com
First Name
Watson
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ingot Silver EcoBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I just have to unscrew the can and remove it at a bit of an angle due to the hose right under it. I can normally get my left hand around the bottom-sides and my right hand over the top to get a good grip; I also avoid over-tightening the thing afterwards cause....my god.
If it was never opened prior to installing you may be out of luck without removing the bracket. That thing is screwed on by the gods at the factory.

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
I just unscrew the bracket and I'm able to good a good enough grip on the can.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Same here, first I have to remove my strut tower brace, then I unscrew the two little hex head screws that hold the the can to the circular bracket top, then I can tilt the thing on it's side to get a better grip on it and eventually after about 23,678,345,678,333 turns I can get the thing unscrewed, it's pretty stupid, if I knew it would be this much trouble I would have never bought it.

That being said at the second empty (5000-7500 miles mark) it did catch like two teaspoons of oil, so happy about that.

Terry

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Glad I have the UPR dual CC. Just a 1/4 turn on the brass drain valve on the bottom.

Miglo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ PP 401A NAV in DIB
I don't know why you would ever have to remove your strut brace? But like others, I pop the 2 hoses off and the 2 screws to empty. The wire that runs underneath it is the only thing that pisses me off. But I think Mishimoto has the best micron screen and baffle out there!

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Glad I have the UPR dual CC. Just a 1/4 turn on the brass drain valve on the bottom.
The mishi has the same drain valve, not sure what's wrong with these other people. I open the bottom drain plug and the oil comes out no issue. 2 seconds. If I do it the other way it takes 1 min to unscrew the bracket, disconnect the hoses and twist the can open. Couldn't be easier

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I just unscrew it by hand like an oil filter. As long as you haven't cranked the crap out of it it should be fine. Remember that the can is facing opposite you so if you're looking down you'll be turning clockwise to loosen (which is ccw when looking up from the floor).

OP
OP
Wulf Titan

Wulf Titan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM A/T
I just have to unscrew the can and remove it at a bit of an angle due to the hose right under it. I can normally get my left hand around the bottom-sides and my right hand over the top to get a good grip; I also avoid over-tightening the thing afterwards cause....my god.
If it was never opened prior to installing you may be out of luck without removing the bracket. That thing is screwed on by the gods at the factory.
Yeah that explains everything. I never unscrewed it before installing it and it was tightened down so hard that I thought I was gonna have to open it with a can opener.

Sponsored

Bennington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot ecoboost
The mishi has the same drain valve, not sure what's wrong with these other people. I open the bottom drain plug and the oil comes out no issue. 2 seconds. If I do it the other way it takes 1 min to unscrew the bracket, disconnect the hoses and twist the can open. Couldn't be easier
Yours came with a drain valve? Mine came with a plug on the bottom of the can. I bought a couple of fittings from harbor freight and rigged up a drain valve with a hose so I can drain it from the wheel well area.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I never had a problem with my MM catch can, the key is to use a little of the oil and keep the o ring lubed and not over tighten it. Also remember the unscrewing is reversed its not lefty loosey, its righty tighty to open as you are turning the can not the lid. I found it was confusing and was making it harder to open it as you tighten it =)

I have a magnet on my shock tower that holds the hex key in case I need to drop the can from the bracket to move it if its too tight to get a good grip on it.
Sponsored