Sponsored

Creaking/Clicking noise from acceleration/deceleration FIXED!!!

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6M
I had a creaking noise/ or clicking noise depending on how you describe the sensation/audio coming from the rear end of my car. It only did this at take off or slow downs at speeds under 20 mph or so. So daily driving it was never really noticeable until traffic, in traffic I'd hear it 24/7 and it drove me mad. Check everything, I mean everything and checked this forum and still couldnt fix the noise.

I figured I'd go check out a forum with collectively older readers/posters. Collectively. Dont get pissy , and the corvette forums suggested the axle nuts on the half-shafts were lose. I honestly didnt think it was possible but I was desperate to try anything.

Well I got a 2 foot breaker bar and a 32mm socket and started to turn, BOOM, turned easily. Easily for 2 feet of leverage but still too easily. Re-tightened both sides back to (REALLY FNING HIGH TQ) and wall-ah. NOISE IS GONE. No more creak or clicking going into reverse or drive from a stop , no more creaking in traffic. I love driving my car again, because it does not feel like im hurting her anymore.

Im so happy it is fixed that I dont want to play blame game but this shouldnt have happened because both rear wheel nuts were lose. Very dangerous and could have eventually cost me or someone a life. Hope this helps someone.:cheers:
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I had a creaking noise/ or clicking noise depending on how you describe the sensation/audio coming from the rear end of my car. It only did this at take off or slow downs at speeds under 20 mph or so. So daily driving it was never really noticeable until traffic, in traffic I'd hear it 24/7 and it drove me mad. Check everything, I mean everything and checked this forum and still couldnt fix the noise.

I figured I'd go check out a forum with collectively older readers/posters. Collectively. Dont get pissy , and the corvette forums suggested the axle nuts on the half-shafts were lose. I honestly didnt think it was possible but I was desperate to try anything.

Well I got a 2 foot breaker bar and a 32mm socket and started to turn, BOOM, turned easily. Easily for 2 feet of leverage but still too easily. Re-tightened both sides back to (REALLY FNING HIGH TQ) and wall-ah. NOISE IS GONE. No more creak or clicking going into reverse or drive from a stop , no more creaking in traffic. I love driving my car again, because it does not feel like im hurting her anymore.

Im so happy it is fixed that I dont want to play blame game but this shouldnt have happened because both rear wheel nuts were lose. Very dangerous and could have eventually cost me or someone a life. Hope this helps someone.:cheers:
Good info...I have had this sound every since I installed half-shafts. I had them re-torqued once since to spec and it did not help.
Does your (REALLY FNING HIGH TQ) equate to a number? Or how did you know it was enough? Any concern of applying to much pressure leading to early bearing failure?

OP
OP

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does not have a number, because I dont have tq wrench that goes that high and i could not get a good reference, I saw numbers from 80 lbs to 330 lbs. I saw previous 5.0's were in the 200's so I tried the Ford Racing Half shaft upgraded number (they use a 36m bolt not 32mm) and noise was still there. Once I went to 200 + lbs it fixed the problem. Is this dangerous??? This can cause an early bearing failure. Please explain I dont want to cause a worse issue. I do know either way they were too lose before, but maybe they are too tight now.

OP
OP

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OEM claims that it should be 98 lbs + another 1/8th of a turn. Google calculators for this ranges 220-300 ft lbs of TQ. So I am pretty sure I fall into that realm.

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had this exact same issue and followed your advice. It solved the creaking/clicking noise temporarily but it has since returned and it is worse. Just wondering if tightening the hub nuts solved it for you or if it has returned?

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
On a side, but related note. Aren't the Hub nuts one time use only? If so did you guys replace them when doing halfshafts, or any other work?

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I had this exact same issue and followed your advice. It solved the creaking/clicking noise temporarily but it has since returned and it is worse. Just wondering if tightening the hub nuts solved it for you or if it has returned?
I tightened mine to 125 ft lbs, the noise came back after 3 weeks re tightened it to 175ftlbs and it hasn't come back yet its been a week and about 400 miles

gamatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was getting this noise, drivers side was easily loosened with a ratchet. So I tightened to 98ft/lbs and then turned 45 deg as per Ford procedure. We'll see if it stays tight, if not I'll try a new nut. Passenger side was not movable with the ratchet so I left it alone.

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I retorqued (and applied red loctite) the driver's side to 175 ft-lbs and I am still getting the creaking noise at low speeds. Worth it to try a new nut?

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
I have a similar noise.. but I'm on stock half shafts. I had one replaced on the passenger side by the dealer, maybe ill take a look.

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Anybody have a part number for the stock axle nut? Gonna have to take my spindles off to press in new toe link bushings and that will require removing that nut.

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My clicking is getting worse. If I take it to the dealer do you think they will hassle me because of my BMR vertical links and cradle lock-out kit?

venge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt pp
My clicking is getting worse. If I take it to the dealer do you think they will hassle me because of my BMR vertical links and cradle lock-out kit?
I recently had a my driver side rear hub replaced and everything is torqued to spec ..I am having similar problem .. did you ever find out what it was ? Thanks srry I know this is old thread

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I had the ticking noise and found my driver's side rear hub bearing had way too much play in it because it was worn out at 20k miles. The dealer replaced it and said the wear was caused by the factory improperly torquing the axle nuts. Haven't had any problem since and I'm at 50k.