Oil Leak

ifly680g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have a small oil seep at the drain plug, happened right after I changed the oil. I bought a new drain plug from Ford and installed it without draining the oil and it is still seeping, getting about 1 to 2 drops overnight. I don't want to drain the oil out as it only has about 100 miles on it to check the pan to see if there is any imperfections.

Ideas, anyone else have this problem? I did tighten it down good, maybe too much?
Sponsored

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
Not sure about the Mustang since I haven't done an oil change in mine yet, but most cars now-a-days have a one time use crush washer between the plug and the pan that needs to be replaced every time you take off the plug or it will weep exactly like you are describing.

Redmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Just changed my oil and was surprised to find a gasket vs the crush washer. Well I think is was a gasket as it did not look like a regular crush washer. Did you torque the bolt to 19 ft lb?

OP
OP
ifly680g

ifly680g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Just changed my oil and was surprised to find a gasket vs the crush washer. Well I think is was a gasket as it did not look like a regular crush washer. Did you torque the bolt to 19 ft lb?
I replaced the drain plug and it has a rubber washer integrated in the plug.

No, I just snugged it up, maybe too much I will put a torque wrench on it to see if that's the problem.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
One of many reasons to install a drain valve (recommend Femco). Never a leak or stripped threads because the valve is put on ONCE.

Sponsored

Redmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The problem with those quick drain plugs is that on most of them the threads extend into the oil pan traping a small amount of oil and heavier debris.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The problem with those quick drain plugs is that on most of them the threads extend into the oil pan traping a small amount of oil and heavier debris.
Sure, that's why I don't buy MOST of them. ;)

One reason I recommend Femco is they sell various thread lengths, including one the thickness of the GT pan (picture showing this in my oil drain thread). For Eco or V6, I'm sure they sell one with the same thickness BUT its not an issue with Eco or V6 because those drains are horizontal.

OP
OP
ifly680g

ifly680g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for that info HoosierDaddy, I may look at one of those but I am afraid my oil may be coming from my ATI damper I installed!! Not looking forward to pulling that off.

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
One of many reasons to install a drain valve (recommend Femco). Never a leak or stripped threads because the valve is put on ONCE.
I go with Aeroquip. Looks cool, works cool, no risk of accidental opening.
Sponsored