Sponsored

Pypes Off Road DP for $250?

Wulf Titan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM A/T
This catless DP is on sale for $250 right now at American Muscle and I must say it's very tempting. 20 whp and 30 wlbs gains without a tune for $250... Should I do it or not? I'm sure it's not the best DP out there. You get what you pay for. If anyone could chime in and tell me if they know anything about it or can link me to a forum on here (couldn't find one) that has the dyno results i would appreciate it. I live in Texas and I'm certain I want to go catless!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-3in-or-downpipe-1516eco.html
Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Any good muffler shop can make most of the downpipes out there work. The expensive downpipes are easier for the DIY install. Imo you can really save money just by getting a good muffler shop to do the work.

No guarantees on the power gain. The stock ECU is known to be unpredictable when trying to add power. A tune will def. get you those numbers.

Heardcuh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C.O.
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If you're not dead set on the Pypes, I'm really happy with my UPR catless Downpipe, would recommend it. Had no CEL when I installed it until later but Adam can clear that for me so I don't have to do it manually on my AP3 every day or two.

OP
OP
Wulf Titan

Wulf Titan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM A/T
Any good muffler shop can make most of the downpipes out there work. The expensive downpipes are easier for the DIY install. Imo you can really save money just by getting a good muffler shop to do the work.

No guarantees on the power gain. The stock ECU is known to be unpredictable when trying to add power. A tune will def. get you those numbers.
Thanks for the input! I actually just had my local muffler shop in Plano delete my resonator and make a y pipe for me. They did a fantastic job, the welding and steel looked way better than the one I was gonna buy. And it was $70 :headbang: So I totally agree with you.

What do you mean about the power? I have an AP3 and i'm about to get Adam tuned after the downpipe. I'm sure he could squeeze some good power out of it.

OP
OP
Wulf Titan

Wulf Titan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM A/T
If you're not dead set on the Pypes, I'm really happy with my UPR catless Downpipe, would recommend it. Had no CEL when I installed it until later but Adam can clear that for me so I don't have to do it manually on my AP3 every day or two.
I'm nervous about the gas smell and smoking issue. I have a catch can and I've heard that helps. Have you had any of these issues?

Also, how tinny does your setup sound with catless? I don't wanna sound ricey.

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Mine is catless and I don't get any gas smell. I didn't even notice it much when I first installed it. Unless your parked against a building or something, you'll never notice it.

If it starts smoking, delete the PCV or upgrade to the high-flow update that Ford released. I just deleted mine and run it with the DVCC.

With the resonator delete, it probably won't sound so much as being tinny as it would be raspy. I installed a Vibrant resonator (18" bottle type) in place of my factory resonator. It didn't sound good without it, to me. The resonator took away all rasp and is still a straight-through design so it doesn't hurt flow.

I'm changing my setup a little bit here in a couple of weeks, but so far, I've been very pleased with it. It produces a very good tone and isn't loud at all.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
What do you mean about the power? I have an AP3 and i'm about to get Adam tuned after the downpipe. I'm sure he could squeeze some good power out of it.
Without a tune I don't think you would see those numbers. If Adam is tuning it, you will be happy

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
I'd get an Intercooler first, then lifetime tune then catch can then dp

sl1kn1ck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PREM PP MANUAL OXFORD WHITE 201A
If you ever plan on getting an off the shelf aftermarket exhaust, I would hold off and get the downpipe with the exhaust. There's a bunch of company's out there that sell 3" downpipes that match up to their 3" exhaust. I bought the eBay/PLM/ATP downpipe, but it necks down to 2.25". Now I am looking at exhausts and I will have to get a piece fabbed in order for the whole exhaust to be 3" when I get a new exhaust.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
If you ever plan on getting an off the shelf aftermarket exhaust, I would hold off and get the downpipe with the exhaust. There's a bunch of company's out there that sell 3" downpipes that match up to their 3" exhaust. I bought the eBay/PLM/ATP downpipe, but it necks down to 2.25". Now I am looking at exhausts and I will have to get a piece fabbed in order for the whole exhaust to be 3" when I get a new exhaust.
Also remember most DP's use the factory 2.5" donut gasket at the turbo outlet so many of the inexpensive DPs start out with a restriction. Also not only do the full turbo back exhausts (DP and exhaust from one mfg) get rid of the necked down portion, most will eliminate the hard 90* bends in the DP section as well. Less bends is better flow.
Sponsored