Sponsored

Minor car accident. How to ensure I get oem parts?

D12DirtyDozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V6
Sadly, I got clipped today :mad:
My back wheel (19" performance pack wheels) took the brunt of the hit, and caused minor damage to my rear fender and bumper
Can I request a brand new fender, bumper, and wheel? Or will they just say it can be patched up basically? Doesn't seem like it was my fault but I still have to wait for the insurances to deem who was at fault
Sponsored

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
You need to take this issue up with the insurance adjuster that they assign you. Sometimes they work with you, sometimes they don't. You need to remember you choose who does the work so if someone hit you and their insurance is paying don't head over to the cheapest shop around.

OP
OP

D12DirtyDozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V6
And I know how insurances like to deny claims and make you go to cheaper shops

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
You need to insist on oem parts when you talk to the adjuster, and also insist on your chosen repair shop. They cannot deny you.

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Unless you have it in your insurance to pay for OEM parts, you will pay for the difference.

Sponsored

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
Unless you have it in your insurance to pay for OEM parts, you will pay for the difference.
When is this specified? Just paid for new insurance and never noticed an option. Fine print somewhere?

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Many policies specify the use of non-OEM parts at the discretion of the insurance company. However, just because they pay you based on non-OEM parts doesn't mean you have to use those parts. If your insurance company does indeed bid for non-OEM parts, simply let your shop know you want OEM parts and you just pay the part price difference to the shop.

Here's a tip if you want to save some money. If your carrier bids for a new OEM wheel, check with a reputable wheel repair company and see if yours can be repaired. OEM wheels are crazy expensive and a reputable wheel company can do a very quality repair when you may think it's impossible, many times for under $200!

IF your insurance company bids NEW OEM wheels they typically will quote retail pricing. You might check Fordparts.com...

Last edited:

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Many policies specify the use of non-OEM parts at the discretion of the insurance company. However, just because they pay you based on non-OEM parts doesn't mean you have to use those parts. If your insurance company does indeed bid for non-OEM parts, simply let your shop know you want OEM parts and you just pay the part price difference to the shop.

Here's a tip if you want to save some money. If your carrier bids for a new OEM wheel, check with a reputable wheel repair company and see if yours can be repaired. OEM wheels are crazy expensive and a reputable wheel company can do a very quality repair when you may think it's impossible, many times for under $200!
A set of OEM wheels ranging from 17-20inch cost $700-$1100. I checked fairly recently.

Ragtop1995

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 Platinum Ecoboost Screw
When someone hit my 95 GT vert by the rear driver's wheel, I just took the estimate damage and told them I would do the work myself. Cut me a nice check. Damage was very minor due to the fact that it was a low speed hit on wet roads. Basically, I just spun like 90 degrees. Factory prices are obscenely expensive. The replacement value on the stock wheel was like $400 each. You could get a complete take-off set for under that back then. I ended up kicking in a couple hundred for a set of genuine Cobra R wheels. The light scratch on the rear quarter panel buffed out. The tailight housing was cracked and I bought a new one that I painted with the leftover paint I had from my Cobra R hood(Rio Red). I think i came out ahead after it was all over not counting the minor labor involved.

Price out a GT350 rear valance and a new set of wheels if desired. Might turn an unfortunate situation into a good one.

skistoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 20" CO
Just insist that the repairs be done a the ford dealer

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Just insist that the repairs be done a the ford dealer
Wouldn't be my first choice. Other shops in our city have much better reputations. I just had some parking lot damage repaired at the independent shop recommended by the local Mustang club. Can't find the repair; it's about perfect.

My insurance (State Farm) paid for OEM parts without a quibble. On a new car, that shouldn't be an argument. Had it been my 94, I might have expected them to propose used or repro parts.

My repair was not serious enough to get into diminished value. Can't comment on that.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
You will get the most cost effective part, you are not new you are owed like kind and quality. Your vehicle was not new when it was hit so you are not owed new parts. If you go through your carrier they may make an exception if you have a 2016 or 2017 but if you have a 2015 I doubt it.

Last edited:

BamBam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
Some misinformation here... Who was at fault? If you were, You need to read the fine print on your policy and see if it covers OEM parts. Some lenders/lease holders demand that OEM parts be used to repair the car.

LA is for Los Angeles right?, If so you can talk to any shop of your choosing and get an estimate from them using OEM parts only... The only way to be 100% sure it's OEM is to see the boxes the parts came in.

If the other person is at fault, it's much easier to demand OEM parts but you can also do the latter and talk to a shop of your choosing.

Now the "rear fender" isn't a bolt on part, That's actually a main part of the cars body and structure. So it's welded on... You don't have much of a say whether they repair or replace it. Depending on how bad it's damaged I'd prefer it be repaired because it takes less skill to pull out and smoothen the damage than it is to cut it perfectly, weld and blend.

How bad is the damage? and don't forget to tell the insurance company you want diminished value because this will show up on the carfax.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
If the other person is at fault, it's much easier to demand OEM parts but you can also do the latter and talk to a shop of your choosing.
This is simply not true. Doesn't matter who is at fault. He would not be owed oem parts. Only way he gets it if his policy allows it, it's the most cost effective solution, or he pays the difference. Simple as that

BamBam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
This is simply not true. Doesn't matter who is at fault. He would not be owed oem parts. Only way he gets it if his policy allows it, it's the most cost effective solution, or he pays the difference. Simple as that
If the other persons insurance is taking care of the repair bill, His insurance policy has nothing to do with it. His insurance company most likely won't hear a single word that the car has been involved in an accident.

In California, It has to be on the invoice that the parts are not OEM by law... Since the car is only a year old at most it shouldn't be too hard.

I have a friend who has a Tacoma that has a tendency to get into accidents I think at the moment he's been at fault in 3 and got hit by other people twice and the few times I took him to pick up his truck it's always been OEM parts (he uses the same guy each time). Body shops want your business, They can refuse to buy the aftermarket parts and by law (in california) the insurance company has to pay for the repairs at this specific body shop that you chose.

There's rules that the insurance companies have to abide to, If they use non OEM parts they have to be as good if not better than the OEM part.

Auto Body Repair Shops
Under the California Insurance Code, a consumer is not required to have repairs done at any insurance company recommended automobile repair shop. However, if a consumer does use an insurance company recommended repair shop, the insurance company must stand behind the repairs if your vehicle is not repaired properly.

(1) You have the right to choose where you take your car for automobile repairs.
(2) If an insurance company recommends a particular automobile body shop you have the option to either take it there or take it to another automobile body repair shop of your choice.
The Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations Section 2695.8 (e) states:
(e) No insurer shall:
(1) require that an automobile be repaired at a specific repair shop; or,
(2) suggest or recommend that an automobile be repaired at a specific repair shop, unless all of the requirements set forth in California Insurance Code Section 758.5 have been met.
(3) require a claimant to travel an unreasonable distance either to inspect a replacement automobile, to conduct an inspection of the vehicle, to obtain a repair estimate or to have the automobile repaired at a specific repair shop.
Auto Replacement Parts
State Law requires that the use of aftermarket parts must be identified on the repair invoice. Some automobile body replacement parts are equal, better, or worse than Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts. Consumers should take note of the following:
(1) Check your invoice. State law requires that the type of automobile parts used in repairs must be identified on the repair invoice. Consumers should carefully check their invoice to ensure that the automobile body shop has identified each automobile part as being one of the following: new, used, reconditioned, rebuilt, OEM crash part, or a non-OEM aftermarket crash part.
(2) Insurance companies are required under the Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations to warrant that non-OEM replacement parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance.
(3) If you have questions regarding your insurance claim or if you have a dispute with your insurance company, please call the California Department of Insurance's Consumer Hotline at (800) 927-4357 (HELP).
Regulations in California state that non-OEM (aftermarket) replacement parts are only permitted if the insurer can guarantee that the parts are equal in kind, quality, safety, fit and performance.
The California Code of Regulations Title 10 Chapter 5 Section 2695.8 (g) states:
(g) No insurer shall require the use of non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash parts in the repair of an automobile unless all of the following conditions are met:
(1) the parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance;
(2) the insurer specifying the use of non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash parts shall pay the cost of any modifications to the parts that may become necessary to effect the repair;
(3) the insurer specifying the use of non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash parts warrants that such parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit,and performance.The insurer must disclose in writing, in any estimate prepared by or for the insurer, the fact that it warrants that such parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance;
(4) all original and non-original manufacturer replacement crash parts,manufactured after the effective date of this subdivision, when supplied by repair shops shall carry sufficient permanent, non-removable identification so as to identify the manufacturer. Such identification shall be accessible to the greatest extent possible after installation;and,
(5) the use of non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash parts is disclosed in accordance with section 9875.1 of the California Business and Professions Code.
(6) If an insurer specifying the use of non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash parts has knowledge that a part is not equal to the original equipment manufacturer part in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance, or does not otherwise comply with this section, it shall immediately cease requiring the use of the part and shall, within thirty (30) calendar days, notify the distributor of the non-compliant aspect of the part.
(7) In the repair of a particular vehicle, an insurer specifying the use of a non-original equipment manufacturer replacement crash part that is not equal to the original equipment manufacturer part in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance, or does not otherwise comply with this section, shall pay for the costs associated with returning the part and the cost to remove and replace the non-original equipment manufacturer part with a compliant non-original equipment manufacturer part or an original equipment manufacturer part.
(8) Nothing in this subdivision prohibits an insurer from seeking reimbursement or indemnification from a third party for the costs associated with the insurer's compliance with this subdivision, including, but not limited to, costs associated with the insurer's obligation to warrant the part, modifications to the part, or returning, removing or replacing a non-compliant, non-original equipment manufacturer part. However, seeking reimbursement or indemnification from a third party shall not in any way modify the insurer's obligation to comply with this subdivision.An insurer shall retain primary responsibility to comply with this subdivision and shall not refuse or delay compliance with this subdivision on the basis that responsibility for payment or compliance should be assumed by a third party.
Sponsored