Sponsored

2018 Mustang refresh?

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Side note: cars are getting f*cking expensive. I mean seriously. We're fast approaching $50k for a well-optioned pony car. It's stupid. Average folks probably don't even make that much in a year.
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
look how much the trucks are... insane.... look how much wakeboard boats are or boats in general... infreakingsane 100k+.

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
Side note: cars are getting f*cking expensive. I mean seriously. We're fast approaching $50k for a well-optioned pony car. It's stupid. Average folks probably don't even make that much in a year.
I never looked at Camaro prices ever as I had always been a 4cyl turbo guy before I bought my GT and I still can't believe how expensive a V8 Camaro is, shocked!

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
A pretty good loaded 2SS is like $48k...not sure what you are adding but if you added the brakes that's a wasted $3000 right there.
The 2 big ticket items were brakes $3k+ and rims $2k

I added the brakes because I figured i won't justify buying a brake kit later

I the rims were the ones I liked the best.

If I had to reduce cost, I'd drop the rims first then brakes, but still getting one up to $55k is Shelby cost territory.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
The 2 big ticket items were brakes $3k+ and rims $2k

I added the brakes because I figured i won't justify buying a brake kit later

I the rims were the ones I liked the best.

If I had to reduce cost, I'd drop the rims first then brakes, but still getting one up to $55k is Shelby cost territory.
Yah...you don't need the brakes...they come already with brembos on all 4 corners. These $3k ones are the upgraded brakes for extreme track use.

The black 5 spoke rims are almost identical to the black rims with the red. Seen both in person...not sure why anyone would spend on those rims anyway lol.

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
The Camaro 1LE package should be pretty neat. $44k and a fairly shocking equipment list.

If the base SS is comparable to the GT350, this thing should be astounding.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Isn't that similar to what they did last Gen with the Boss 302? My Mustang history isn't great, but thought the Coyote was the tuned version of what the 5.0 GT was running in that same Gen. Here to hoping history repeats itself :headbang:
Boss was a roadrunner engine if I'm not mistaken, same displacement of the coyote but with better heads, forged internals and a revised intake similar to the gt350 but not as good. The boss engine is closer to the current Gen 5.0 then the last gen.

However there was not enough separation between the models. 24 hp is not enough. What I am saying is beef up the current coyote even make it a 5.2 with direct port injection and have it pump out 480 hp and 430 tq. Then change the cams and do some more magic and have a Mach 1/gt350 pump 540-550hp and 450 tq with some weight reduction, perhaps down to 3650-3700 with all options. Keep GT pricing as is or near there, Mach at 53k and then start the gt500 at 62-65k pumping 750+hp

I would love to see that lineup however I don't anticipated it will happen until the s650 which is a shame as the coyote is on its 7th model year and despretly needs a replacement. The upgrades to the s550 were awesome and needed but nothing like what gm did with ls3 to lt1.

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB
Not sure why we need 10 gears, would rather see a Ford version of the PDK/DCT [yes, I know they have the PowerShift but it's terrible].

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Why does the S550 need a boost in HP,it can"t handle what it"s got now,and the speed limit hasn"t changed on our hwys,so why is there all this hype for more power, STUPID.:doh:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've bought two new Mustangs in a row, loved the hell out of each of them. I don't want a Camaro but it's so good that it makes it really hard to write a check for my next Mustang GT. I've been on the fence for a long time. Can't sit much longer.
1. Street racing is illegal and wrong. I would encourage you to not do it.
2. Absolute speed is not the only reason to buy a car.
3. If you really have to have a faster car, spend the extra money and buy a Camaro. Or buy a Mustang and spend what you saved on go faster parts. I don't really care what you do.
4. Have you driven a new Camaro yet? Have you driven a new Mustang? Drive them both on the same day and pick one. No need to hang onto your 2011 forever.

Sponsored

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Not sure why we need 10 gears, would rather see a Ford version of the PDK/DCT [yes, I know they have the PowerShift but it's terrible].
Why? Not a fan of torque converters? As you said they tried their hand with DCT's and it didn't go well. This new 10r80, while not a coverter-less DCT, is significantly faster shifting and I would imagine more fuel economic than the fastest DCT's. If it is at least as reliable as Porsches PDK (low bar IMO) I'm all for this new homegrown automatic.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yeah I don't know why everyone is in love with DCTs when these new automatics are just as fast. Do a quick search for Mercedes DCTs and you'll see all kinds of complaints on their forums. The laggy clutch engagement when starting from a stop drove me crazy after a day of driving the CLA 45 AMG.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
1. Street racing is illegal and wrong. I would encourage you to not do it.
2. Absolute speed is not the only reason to buy a car.
3. If you really have to have a faster car, spend the extra money and buy a Camaro. Or buy a Mustang and spend what you saved on go faster parts. I don't really care what you do.
4. Have you driven a new Camaro yet? Have you driven a new Mustang? Drive them both on the same day and pick one. No need to hang onto your 2011 forever.

1.)Who exactly is street racing?
2.)This explains why you have a V6 Mustang, right? Wait...looks like you just spent 2x the cost of a base GT on a special performance model. :headbonk:
3.) Thanks for that financial advice.
4.)Yes! I've driven two Mustang GT Performance Pack cars. I loved them both...until I drove a Camaro 2SS. Seriously: there is no comparison. The Mustang GT had the more appealing interior (in terms of style, not necessarily materials) and a better view from the driver's seat. Otherwise, the Camaro absolutely spanked the Mustang in terms of driving experience, ultimate performance numbers aside. It's a total rocket ship.

I'm not looking to pick a fight. I don't need to be lectured by an internet forum self-appointed authority figure. This thread I about the 2018 refresh and what we know and hope, right?

What we know right now is that a $40,000 Camaro SS will embarrass a $60k Shelby GT350 in every category other than engine sound.

I'm a life long Mustang fan but I will always buy the best all around performance car that I can afford. Right now, that puts me in a tough spot. I'm desperately hoping that something comes along with this update that will solve my dilemma.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
What we know right now is that a $40,000 Camaro SS will embarrass a $60k Shelby GT350 in every category other than engine sound.

I'm a life long Mustang fan but I will always buy the best all around performance car that I can afford. Right now, that puts me in a tough spot. I'm desperately hoping that something comes along with this update that will solve my dilemma.
I just bought my 2016 GT Premium /w perfomance package over a camaro 1LE. The cost was not the issue. The camaro simply couldn'the measure up in terms of quality.

That said, the Mustang is lacking in a few key areas. Here is my humble list of suggested changes that could fill those gaps.

1). Engine: A 5.2L Coyote with psuedo-GT350 heads, a revised intake package and direct injection could produce as much torque and more power than the LT1. I would trade up if the upgrade yielded a solid 50 ft lbs more torque, and a few extra horsepower for bragging rights.

2) Transmission: A 10 speed auto is all but confirmed. A 7 speed tremec manual would set the bar even higher, though it would not make business sense to offer it as standard fare for the GT.

3) Suspension: Magnetorheological Dampers should be offered with a more cohesive suspension to complement them. Once again, they shouldn't be standard on a GT.

4) Tires: Pirelli rubber should be replaced with Michelins ASAP.

5) Exterior: Revised hood and rear fascia wouldo be welcome. I'm sure they will tweet the front as well, but I'may not complaining.

4) Interior: GT350-esque steering wheel and shift knob would be welcome. I'm betting on a revised gauge cluster and a few stylistic tweeks to tie the new look together.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
1.)

Just wait. Everything is pointing towards a huge refresh here...kinda the S550 that should have been at launch like the Camaro had.

Better transmission, better power, better handling (most likely PP parts coming on base packages), better interior, refreshed exterior fascias, dual mode exhaust, magnetic ride, etc.
Sponsored