Sponsored

2018 Mustang refresh?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
The last Bullit was just an appearance package available in Black or Green with badges, grill, and louvers. Not much for performance; that's why it was unpopular.
It had engine, drivetrain, and suspension changes different from the standard GT, along with a exhaust tuned for sound. It also had a dash treatment unique to it, along with the steering wheel and seats from the GT500. It did not have louvers of any kind.

I don't agree with your conclusion about it being unpopular. It is very popular for those who wanted a low-key V8 Mustang that hearkened back to the movie "Bullitt".

I also don't believe it will be produced for 2018, given what's been seen informally here on the forums for the last 6-9 months, along with what certain folks have shared.
Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The last Bullit was just an appearance package available in Black or Green with badges, grill, and louvers. Not much for performance; that's why it was unpopular.
Exhaust, CAI, suspension. More than just appearance stuff.

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang GT convertible
Given your location........can I assume Tasca Ford? In which case, I'd assume that's good info. Tasca pretty much kicked off the "Total Performance" era for Ford in the 60's and, right now, I reckon we're as close to those glory days again as we'll ever be!

:)
Tasca is my dealer, bought two of my four mustangs there, but that's not where I got the info. It came from a ford employee.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Apologies......just goes to prove what happens when you assume :headbonk:

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang GT convertible
Apologies......just goes to prove what happens when you assume :headbonk:
No apology needed, it was an excellent assumption given how small RI is. And they are a great performance dealer. And they've always treated me right in sales and the limited amount of service I've had done. I was there this week and they had a 2017 Lightning Blue in stock but I'm waiting for '18.......

Sponsored

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB
Opinions are split. Some think the Bullitt isn't relevant enough today for them to make it. Nobody remembers who Steve McQueen is, etc. They cite the fact that the 08 Bullitt missed it's sales targets and many 2008s had to be turned into 2009 models. Others, like myself, think that there's plenty in the Ford parts bin to make a cool 50th Anniversary Bullitt as a final hurrah for the 2018 model year. It would be cheap and easy to put together and could even be as simple as an appearance package or could be made as a nice stepping stone between a regular GT and a Mach 1, GT350 or whatever is the more expensive Mustang next year, with a few Ford Performance parts (think the new Power Packs Ford just released, only factory installed). The 08 Bullitt was revealed in the fall of 2007 so I think if they do end up doing one, we still might not see it for another year or so.
And it seems they have already incorporated design ideas from the 67/68 Mustangs like the hood blinkers and the blacked out decklid.

ftrv8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
On order '17, but still looking at '18
Finally ready financially to get my GT, but this particular thread is making it hard for me for to pull the trigger, at least till early next year. Or till some spy shots.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
As much as I will probably love the 2018 especially if that configurable dash makes it to production, I'll be keeping mine for quite awhile. I figure my next one will be a 60th anniversary model, unless circumstances change of course..

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB
I also don't believe it will be produced for 2018, given what's been seen informally here on the forums for the last 6-9 months, along with what certain folks have shared.
Which is odd given that it's the 50th Anniversary and the fact that the S550 Mustang most closely resembles the 68 Mustang.

Gateway-Classic-Mustang-4.jpg

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Which is odd given that it's the 50th Anniversary and the fact that the S550 Mustang most closely resembles the 68 Mustang.
The movie came out in October 1968 which may make a release of a specialty car targeted for the Fall 2018. Fall 2018 timing would be a 2019 car.

Sponsored

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
I'd like to see if any of that instrument interior could be retrofitted.
If they come out with something like that I'd really hope so. Assuming everything fits in all the same holes retrofitting should be possible. People over on the BMW forums were able to retro their analog gauges to digital displays fairly easy on cars like the X5 and 5 series.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
don't hold your breath. can't even retro fit sync3. at least not as something as a simple switch.

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
I hope some of the things you mentioned like MagnaRide are optional equipment, otherwise the Mustang will have the same sales struggle as the Camaro if they start reaching near 50k for a loaded standard GT. Did he give anymore detail about the infotainment and displays? If they do put something like the Delphi concept into production as standard equipment or part of the Premium model, I can see prices going up fast.
Delphi interior below. Interestingly, most of the stories and reports about this concept interior from CES 2016 have been pulled down, including Ford's official press release. Maybe they're trying to make it a surprise for the 2018 model for those that missed the news at CES?
attachment.jpg
wow now that looks pretty sleek and high-tech....sorta Audi inspired "digital dash" with the large LCD screen gauge cluster !!!

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
Opinions are split. Some think the Bullitt isn't relevant enough today for them to make it. Nobody remembers who Steve McQueen is, etc. They cite the fact that the 08 Bullitt missed it's sales targets and many 2008s had to be turned into 2009 models. Others, like myself, think that there's plenty in the Ford parts bin to make a cool 50th Anniversary Bullitt as a final hurrah for the 2018 model year. It would be cheap and easy to put together and could even be as simple as an appearance package or could be made as a nice stepping stone between a regular GT and a Mach 1, GT350 or whatever is the more expensive Mustang next year, with a few Ford Performance parts (think the new Power Packs Ford just released, only factory installed). The 08 Bullitt was revealed in the fall of 2007 so I think if they do end up doing one, we still might not see it for another year or so.
The reason they will not likely come out with a Bullitt model is Ford will have to pay a licensing fee to Warner Bros. for every unit sold, just as they do for the GT350 (and GT500) to Shelby. Better to do a Mach 1 and save the money!

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
Any information on the refresh? I haven't seen anything. I'm surprised no mule or leak yet.
Sponsored