Transmission Temperature

OP
OP

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
I read somewhere on this forum or another can remember, but there is a way to get the Transmission Fluid Temp using OBD2 blue tooth device and the Torque Pro Phone app.

Here's the details, is working for me...

Transmission Temperature wasn't installed in Torque, had to add it as a custom PID.

Add a custom PID in Torque by going to the "Settings" section off the main screen.
Enter the following for the fields it prompts you for:
"OBD2 Mode and PID" = 221E1C
"Long Name" = Trans Temp
"Short Name" = Trans T
"Minimum Value" = -40
"Maximum Value" = 260
"Scale Factor" = 1
"Unit Type" = deg
"Equation" = (((signed(A)*256)+B)*(9/8)+320)/10
Leave the OBD Header blank

Hit "Test" and make sure you get a value back. Then click "OK".

Next go to a screen where you actually want the gauge (Under Realtime information off the main screen).
Long press and "add display"...then pick a type of display...then select the "Trans Temp" (or whatever you
called the Long Name above).

You might have to play with the Min/Max values, as in my case the values were reported back in Celsius...See attached image...

Hope this helps
Thanks!

Which OBD2 device/plugin did you use?
Sponsored

KevDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2004 F150 FX4
I used a PLX Device, got it from amazon...mine is at least 4 years old, its a dongle on a long wire, was using it on my F150, they have a new version now that looks cleaner...

http://www.plxdevices.com/

Edit to the equation in my last post:
is
"Equation" = ((((A)*256)+B)*(9/8)+320)/10

Are you in the Vancouver area?

Reactions: TDC
OP
OP

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
I used a PLX Device, got it from amazon...mine is at least 4 years old, its a dongle on a long wire, was using it on my F150, they have a new version now that looks cleaner...

is

Thanks.

Vancouver Island.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Automatic transmissions, especially older ones with torque converters, have very different components than a manual transmission. While they use the same type of fluid, having said fluid at 300* in an automatic that is filled with clutches spinning and slipping as intended is a helluva lot different than having that same fluid in a manual where gears/synchros and not clutches engaging.

Not saying that 300* fluid is necessarily good, but manuals are much more resistant to high temps than automatics filled with clutches and wearable material.

I found this online (http://myautomatictransmission.com/temperature-chart.htm) and I know it's for automatic transmissions, I think it has value since the GT350 uses ATF (or DCTF) as lubricant...

I'm interested in your results and I'd like to know the effect of hot ATF on the gears and synchros.

Cheers,

Don

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Best bet for doing this on a budget will be OBDLink MX bluetooth dongle. This supports most vehicles 96 and up plus advanced Ford & GM vehicle networks (MS-CAN and SW-CAN) You will need this support for a lot of Ford systems/PID's. This comes with their app and works very well but I recommend FORSCAN for Ford vehicles (APP is in the Google Play Store for like $5). I use it on my GT and works very well. If anything cost effective will work for you guys it will be this combo
Doesn't support iOS. :tsk:

Sponsored

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Doesn't support iOS. :tsk:
The software does, you just need a different dongle for iOS that connects via wifi rather than bluetooth. So you need the OBDlink MX WiFi

Supported platforms:
Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10 (COM, USB, Bluetooth and WiFi adapters)
iOS v6.0 and higher (WiFi adapters)
Android v4.0 and higher (Bluetooth and WiFi adapters)

Comparison for the adapters is HERE and you see both the bluetooth and WiFi MX adapters support the Ford MS CAN protocol

:cheers:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport

is

Thanks for the info. I just ordered it.

Matt P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
redline, with your GT can you see real oil temperature with the FORscan app? I cannot, its not offered that I can see. I was able to access diff temp.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
redline, with your GT can you see real oil temperature with the FORscan app? I cannot, its not offered that I can see. I was able to access diff temp.
Nope no engine oil temp found. Which I thought was weird. Yeah I found rear diff temp as well. Only thing I seen in the PCM for engine oil was all pressure related and then oil life status. Crazy you can see 3 things related to intake runner control and like 10 things having to do with the EVAP system but nothing for actual engine oil temp lol. Maybe I am just not looking in the right place. The gauge cluster reading is pulling data from somewhere. But must not be very accurate considering that's not listed in degrees just low, normal, and high. I have not looked in anywhere but the PCM though either. I'll have to see what module is the cluster and check there and see what value is taken for that reading.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big thanks to KevDog. :hail:

Looks like I have my tranny temp. working on my IPhone Fusion OBD app. and using a Kiwi3 to read and transmit.

Heading out to an autocross tomorrow and will confirm if all the readings are making sense.

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Big thanks to KevDog. :hail:

Looks like I have my tranny temp. working on my IPhone Fusion OBD app. and using a Kiwi3 to read and transmit.

Heading out to an autocross tomorrow and will confirm if all the readings are making sense.
I too sure hope that the readings will make sense cuz i just ordered a KIWI3 as well, will i nedd to add a custom PID to get tranny temp if i'm using dashcommand with my Iphone6 ?

Last edited:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used OBD Fusion for IPhone and needed to add a custom PID. Followed KevDogs instructions and it seems to be working. I think I'll try DashCommand as well; maybe next weekend.

I'm almost 100% sure you will need to create a custom PID for dashcommand. I believe only the N-gauge can read the tranny temp out of the box.

So far the Kiwi3 is working well.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If your autocrosses are anything like the ones here, you won't get much heat in the car. Autocross is 99% sitting around or watching cones and about 1% driving.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Report back on your findings when you get back from your autoX.